GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Poplik View Post
    And on paper, when you have healing, tanking and DPS and you remove healing and tanking... that seems to leave you with DPS.
    They seem to have redistributed the roles rather than nuke them. I think they probably decided that for a healing role to be optional, they needed a dedicated healing slot, and a way for healers to do damage etc. That way, you can bring a healing role and that will work, or you can go without one and that works too.

The usual problem is that in most games, you are forced to bring healer and tank because otherwise your team has no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by aceofspadesjr View Post
    I assume that if someone can heal for 10% then 5 man group would be able to pop a 50% heal when needed.
    Keep in mind that I had quite a few heal-oriented skills that I could use on allies on my engineer bar, and I didn't have much time playing it. I likely could have made a quite complete support bar, especially with traits. That means that if one skill heals for 10%, you can cast a few in a row to save an ally. I often popped a few heals in a row to help someone before going back to a damage role.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Keep in mind, most of the people currently recording themselves playing the dungeons are not terribly familiar with the game, and are sort of still noodling around trying to work out what goes where and how to use it.

What will happen, once people have a little confidence in themselves and an understanding of the game mechanics, is that characters will employ methods to stop damage from landing (rather than healing through it as already mentioned). For example, Guardians will drops bubbles and defensive 'walls' which a monster cannot attack through, Necromancers might apply debuffs that make the attacks a lot weaker, Elementalist might snare the monster in place so it cannot get to people to attack them, and so on. It will require a more focused attention span - the skills will need to be used at the correct time, and if they aren't, then maybe whoever is too close to the monster will have to judge when to doge-roll out of the way when a massive attack is about to land.

It really is more inspired by action games over mmorpgs in that respect. Reflexes, field awareness and good timing are what will win out, rather than trying to ensure everyone is standing in the right place at the right time and cycling through their skills on recharge. Tactics will have to be implemented on the fly and be adaptive to the situation - there probably simply will not be a guaranteed way of doing it, other than learning from mistakes and playing mindfully.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    During my beta hours in March nobody ever asked for a special build, weapon or game style. People learned to adapt quickly to the current situation, because people started to support each other.
    e.g. A hammer warrior was fighting some Sons of Svanir and I dropped a Geyser on the spot where his enemies stood, as they did not move a lot. As he could see my back line support, he was playing more aggressively, as he knew he could execute his attack chains without having to look at his health globe. Once the group was done he typed "good support" in local. People kind of got the feeling on how to use what support skills, e.g. two Rangers trying to revive fallen NPCs were successful, because they had the time necessary for the task, because my Healing Rain kept up their health while they revived.

But back on the original question

People playing Lvl80 PvP characters in the next Beta event for some time will probably get a glimpse of how good a concentration on "healing" compared to other types of damage mitigation really is, when traits and buffed PvP items make a difference. My prediction from PvE game play so far is, that any well played support is equally useful for your own and the allies survival.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Keep in mind that a water ele will be more useful if she uses skills from other elements as well, as the strong skills (which are usually situational) tend to have longer recharges, and you can go around that somewhat by swapping elements.

Likewise, staying in elixir gun for the engineer was not the best way to go about it imo, and swapping to grenades or guns while my heals recharged seemed a better way to go.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    Keep in mind, most of the people currently recording themselves playing the dungeons are not terribly familiar with the game, and are sort of still noodling around trying to work out what goes where and how to use it.
    This.

Poplik, check out this video to see the devs playing the game properly. It's all about preventing damage. There is also some PvP at the end.

10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    It's all about preventing damage.
    People have been so concerned over the weak heals of the guardian and water ele that the strong protects of the guardian and earth ele are going unnoticed. There aren't many skills for healing your allies, but there is a metric crapton of shields, auras, protection boons, etc. That looks like a pretty strong hint to me that preventing damage is going to be much more key to gameplay than repairing it afterwards.

The Totalbiscuit video of a group struggling through Ascalon Catacombs in explorable mode is also a good clue. Time after time he remarks that "not getting hit" is the key to survival because just about everything can one- or two-shot you. He's focusing on the need to keep moving and dodging, but it looked like some good protection support would have helped enormously. I wasn't seeing much of that happening.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Good point, BrettM... but my experience with guardian suggests that while protting may also be important, a lot of those prots don't last long at all. Bubbles were short duration in my opinion. The shield buff lasts only for one hit. I think the emphasis has been shifted from someone else keeping you alive, to you having to keep yourself alive.

Heals and prots and all that is still important, but it won't save noobs who stand in the fire anymore.
    == Alaris & clone ==

10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    True. However, if something is able to one-shot you, then having a shield that prevents that one hit is a lot more valuable than a heal after the fact, since a downed or defeated player can't be healed.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Prots are generally more efficient than heals, but imo that's partly because prots are also generally harder to use than heals. I know I wasted my share of prots on people who didn't need it in GW1, and overhealed a lot less often.

Also, some prots can be bypassed, in which case heals would be preferred.

----

Not to debate, rather to just say that each has its pros and cons... and it's generally best to have a bit of both in the team.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I know I wasted my share of prots on people who didn't need it in GW1, and overhealed a lot less often.
    I don't know if a prot can ever be considered wasted. Even if there is no effect, the person is still protected against the possibility of damage, which could potentially come at any random moment. In GW1 having RoF on you meant you were safe if the enemy AI decided to drop a fireball on your neighbor. I mean if there is someone under attack and you prot the guy looting corpses, that's just playing badly, more than a wasted prot.

But that's just semantics and totally off topic for GW2. Carry on.