PC Gaming News
    GWOnline.Net Member

Need advice on picking class

I typically enjoy playing casters or ranged over melee. I didn't like the ele in GW1 very much but I am tempted in GW2 - except my friend already claimed Ele as his class. Can 2 ele work well together in PVP, or should I pick another?

I enjoyed my monk well enough in GW1 which tempts me to try a Guardian, but I like glass cannons better. How are Mesmers with Eles? Are Ele and Mesmer the most "glass cannon / caster" classes still?

Thanks!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I don't know much about PvP.

I assume 2 eles or ele+mesmer will be good choices though. Professions are fairly independent and non-overlapping, meaning you could run 2 eles and that should work. Guardian is not like monk though, it's more like dervish or melee paragon.

You may want to consider engineer if you want to do support, or thief even. Two different profession will give you more ways to build your duo.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline.Net Member
    How about things like ele fire + arrows, do ele's have any combinations they can do with each other, or ele + mesmer? I'm unfamiliar with the system.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I thought there was a wiki page that would have all the fields and finishers listed out, but maybe I made that up. Here's the root:
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cross-profession_combo

Anyway, it looks like Earth Eles have a bunch of projectile finishers, so if one of you goes earth, you'll have some options open to you. Two Eles would probably work fine together if you pick different elements.

Mesmers have a few leap and projectile finishers and a few fields, as well.

As a side note, I found Ele in GW1 pretty boring myself, but I intend to play one in GW 2, at least a bit.

Doesn't it take about 10 minutes to make one? I'd say try them all and see which one you like :)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    In PvE (and WvW) it takes longer to really build a character, and get a feel. Maybe try them out in structured PvP though, you get to try all the skills and traits right away. It might be overwhelming, but at least it gives you an idea of what's what. You can also cast a lot of those skills and get a feel before going into fights.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Alaris, since you have played the game, do you find combos all that necessary? Since it seems like GW 2 is more focused on being self-sustaining, I get the impression that combos are kind of nice, but that there's no reason to pick your class combinations around them.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Hard to tell honestly.

I think if two persons play as a duo consistently, then it'd make sense to pick two classes that have nice combos going because it would be fun, but I frankly think the efficiency gained is not worth ending up with professions you don't care for. It felt more like a random bonus than a necessary component, but mind you I was not skilled enough to consistently pull them off, and I don't have enough play time to really tell how much of a bonus it was.

Based on my gameplay, I would rather pick a duo based on complementarity. Ele + mesmer is a good combo imo, for example, because ele can nuke or support pretty well, and mesmer can make clones to distract and shutdown foes. So you end up with many ways to take down foes so you can more easily adapt to your foes than say if you had two mesmers or two elementalists. Two mesmers might be weaker to AoE's, and two elementalists might be weaker to focused fire.

Or you could mix a frontline with midline, which would probably be how I'd duo it, with the frontline possibly being a pet or summons.
    == Alaris & clone ==