PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Hm, that's true. I guess I wouldn't have to email myself .apk files all the time so I can install them on my phone.
    I got a nice folder "Android" on my dropbox that contains some .apk files Works like a charm
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    I don't see the point of any of these services.

But that could be because my internet is atrocious.
    Yeah. Like others have said: "doing work," basically. It means I don't really need a thumb drive when I want to move something between my work or home computer, as one example. So, if I get some spare time at work to doodle something on my tablet, I can have it at home without worrying about its e-mail-ability.

Quote Originally Posted by The Praetorian View Post
    Ah, this explains why Skydrive gave me a free upgrade from 7GB to 25GB yesterday. Google Drive still says 'not ready' here, but I'll take a look when it's up and running.

I doubt either of these will lure me away from SpiderOak and Wuala, both superior when it comes to security. Let's hope Google and MS will force other file-storing services to increase their free space.
    Oh, I appear to already have a 7GB Skydrive account, thanks to my Hotmail junk address. So, do I need to go use 4GB of space to have the option of upgrading to 25? Currently, the only options to upgrade are for a cost.
    Last edited by Zalis; 25-04-2012 at 14:35.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Well, the download is now here!

I just got the email - so trying it out firsthand now!

-Art

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Still no e-mail here. Maybe the U.S. release is lagging behind.

As of 1:19 EDT, it's available for me.
    Last edited by Zalis; 25-04-2012 at 18:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    Oh, I appear to already have a 7GB Skydrive account, thanks to my Hotmail junk address. So, do I need to go use 4GB of space to have the option of upgrading to 25? Currently, the only options to upgrade are for a cost.
    You get an automatic free upgrade if you had 4GB of used space in the old situation, and the possibility to upgrade to 25GB for free if you've used your skydrive before this weeks update.

If you haven't used Skydrive before you're stuck with the 7GB.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    Still no e-mail here. Maybe the U.S. release is lagging behind.

As of 1:19 EDT, it's available for me.
    Haven't gotten my email yet..

And I apparently did use my skydrive before the update, because I could upgrade it to 25gb... Can't remember I ever did use it, but I did log in once (hey, there's this option "skydrive" in the menu....)
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    I've now got a ridiculous amount of space via various providers. 25 gig from Skydrive, 50 gig from Box.net, 5 gig from Google Drive, 2 gig from Dropbox and an unknown amount from Picasa and Facebook (I use SanDisk Memory Zone which let's me access all of these at once).

When you take into account the size of Windows 7 I've more space online than I do on my laptop.

-Art

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Folks might want to be careful what they upload to these services:

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
    From Google's terms of service. Other cloud providers seem to be less invasive. Still there is also this:

And what about someone else, such as law enforcement, trying to access your stuff? With a computer in your home, you'd have to be served a warrant for legal access to your hard drive. But with remote storage, you may not know whether a subpoena or warrant has been served on the cloud service provider, depending on what the company says it will do in the terms of service.
    mv

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Ho ho ho Like I said, not sure if I'd trust Google with my files.

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    Folks might want to be careful what they upload to these services: [...] From Google's terms of service. Other cloud providers seem to be less invasive.
    Not really, Dropbox, Skydrive and ICloud are pretty much the same or even worse. The Verge has a nice article on privacy: Is Google Drive worse for privacy than iCloud, Skydrive, and Dropbox?

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    Still there is also this:
    That's why I like SpiderOak for anything sensitive.

Complete Privacy Guaranteed
    • SpiderOak never stores or knows a user's password or the plaintext encryption keys which means not even SpiderOak employees can access the data
    • Our zero-knowledge privacy approach means we can never betray the trust of our users
    And if you really want extra security there's always TrueCrypt and BoxCryptor.