PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I can quite understand the usefulness of having files in the cloud. We use it at work and when traveling, or at home, can access our necessary files, calendars, and other docs.

However, there is a strict rule in place with my company to not upload any confidential files--especially those regarding pending patents, proprietary formulations or other sensitive materials. Those simply cannot be trusted to an ethereal cloud that has the potential, however unlikely it may seem, to accidentally or intentionally be released to the whole world.
    mv

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Sorudo, if you understood how the service worked, you would realize how invalid your arguments against it are.

With Dropbox you can download a program that adds a synced folder to your computer. Any time you save a file there, it automatically uploads it. If you're offline, it will upload the file when you regain connection. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    there is something called a backup on USB, internet backup is useless when you first need to get there.
    beside, a 2TB external HDD is much better, you don't even need internet to access your files.
    That 2TB HDD won't let you access & send the important file from your mobile device or, heaven forbid, when you're not at home or don't have the HDD with you. That's the usefulness - access to it anywhere, anytime.

Thumb drives & external backups are very useful, and not to be completely replaced by the cloud. Both they and cloud usage have limits and usefulness, and it's important to use them to their strengths.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I replaced my flash drives with cloud drives 100%. I don't deal with info as sensitive as MV, though, nor do I typically go anywhere there will not be an Internet connection. If I had to go pitch, for example, I would use both the flash drive and the cloud drive.

My issue with flash drives is that I'm absent-minded and I could forget / lose it.