PC Gaming News

Poll: Rate the UI/Interface (not keyboard/mouse)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    WvW is a good place to learn how to run away from large mobs. Or at least, to learn which areas of the mob is dangerous, and which areas is safer to attack from.

If you want to live, then as melee your job is to separate foes from the herd and take them out. You can generate enough threat and confusion that they run in the wrong direction, then your pack can make an easy kill of it. Or you can stick to ranged to pick them off from a safer distance.

If you decide to play frontline, then keep a close eye on your health. If you decide to AoE in the middle of a mob, then good luck.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    I personally hated the interface. Apparently the developers are trying to make the game so that the interface is not even necessary, which I can commend them for, but there are better and worse ways of doing this. Skyrim for instance, is a game with a very minimal interface that works. I found the UI of GW2 to be counter-intuitive and sometimes even intrusive or useless.

I played as a Mesmer, and the default binding for the various "clones 'splode" options were the F-keys, a very poor choice in my opinion. First of all, the F-keys on a full size keyboard are just out of quick range for your fingers. Most keyboards have small F-keys, and increasingly modern keyboards have F-locks, which will mess with the game if engaged. A friend playing an elementalist told me that the F-keys for him simply switch the elemental style--this makes sense to me. But the various ways of exploding your clones seems to be a crucial feature for the Mesmer that F-keying complicated for me.

Another problem is the collapsing of all the character functions into the "H" key window. What if I wanted to have several windows open at once for either comparative or multitasking reasons? Is there a way to do this that I missed?

If the goal is to really make the UI unnecessary to game play, I think they need to just make it so you can disable or enable certain features on it. Those of us who like having a UI should continue to have the option of using it.

One of my biggest pet-peeves with the version of GW2 we got in the BWE was that they seem to have abandoned so much of what GW1 got right. Innovation is good and important, but there is a reason no one has reinvented the wheel--when something works, stick with it with minimal changes.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius View Post
    I played as a Mesmer, and the default binding for the various "clones 'splode" options were the F-keys, a very poor choice in my opinion.
    I hope this can be re-assigned, and better yet, on a per-character basis. I liked the explode clone on F1-F4, but I wish kits were assigned F1-F4 on the engineer because they felt out-of-range on keys 6-9.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius View Post
    One of my biggest pet-peeves with the version of GW2 we got in the BWE was that they seem to have abandoned so much of what GW1 got right.
    I'll have to disagree at a general level here, and perhaps agree on specifics later.

I really liked GW1, but imo GW2 brings a lot of stuff that I was wanting that GW1 didn't have. And I mean, A LOT. GW2 for me is a clear step forward, though I can see how it could be seen as a step backward for others. I joined GW wanting a MMORPG, and never finding one that suited my needs. Finally I see GW2 as the realization of what I was looking for.

However, from the point of view of players who enjoyed more the team-based play, GW2 could be seen as a step backwards.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Did anyone try out setting the heal to automatically go off? I meant to test that, but to be honest I lagged badly on Friday and I had too much fun the other times!

Quote Originally Posted by Irakaz View Post
    Did anyone try out setting the heal to automatically go off? I meant to test that, but to be honest I lagged badly on Friday and I had too much fun the other times!
    Why would you want to? The recharge is so long, and often if you get damaged you need the heal immediately.

Also I spent most of my time on my thief, and her two healing skills don't work that way. The default was a regen/stealth and the one I choose to replace it was a signet that gave me a small heal every time I attacked with a big heal when activating the signet.

Edit: I assumed you meant to have the heal on "autoattack", but was there an option to have it go off below a certain amount of health?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Seemed to me that signets gave no healing whatsoever. Maybe a bug?
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Seemed to me that signets gave no healing whatsoever. Maybe a bug?
    My thief's signet worked properly. It healed when I attacked ("hello, healing" on dual attacks) and it also gave me a large heal when I activated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    Edit: I assumed you meant to have the heal on "autoattack", but was there an option to have it go off below a certain amount of health?
    Yes that is what I meant. In one of the videos I watched it was mentioned as a playstyle by some devs. Apparently it only triggered when you fell below the healing range. For a warrior its not a bad idea as mending comes round fairly quickly.