PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Question: Can you play a ranged Guardian?

I've created Guardian for this first BWE and quickly came to limits with the play style I prefer:
    Being melee, whether with Mace, Sword or Greatword offered some nice skills, but once you had a few more opponents, things start to get laggy (it is a beta, and will probably get better) and distractingly flashy (we have already talked about particle effects). Quickly I started to use "wild button smashing" as I could not react to foes by observing what they did.

Now the question for people having more experience with the Guardian:
    Can you make a good and useful Guardian by keeping to ranged weapons, like the staff or Scepter + Off-Hand-Weapons? Do you need to be able to swap in a melee weapon to not lose aspects of the class?
    Last edited by Gorani; 30-04-2012 at 11:34.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

My first character was guardian, and was melee, and I wasn't liking it... Tried out ele, and loved the ranged, but felt a little squishy, so went back to the Guardian and bought scepter, then found a staff. Enjoyed it FAR more and it seems quite effective.

Mostly used Scepter + Shield, then found a nice staff and started unlocking it's skills. Both combinations seemed much better to me than anything I was doing in a melee setup. I had kept shield as the offhand to maintain the strong defensive skills it brings. But I'm also liking the staff's skill selection, especially that your auto-attack can hit up to 5 foes. And it brings pretty nice defense as well, with the wall that foes can't pass through.

Switching to play my Guardian ranged drastically changed how I felt about the class. I was ready to say I didn't enjoy it when I played it as melee, and now I think it's great.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Shennn View Post
    My first character was guardian, and was melee, and I wasn't liking it... Tried out ele, and loved the ranged, but felt a little squishy, so went back to the Guardian and bought scepter, then found a staff. Enjoyed it FAR more and it seems quite effective.

Mostly used Scepter + Shield, then found a nice staff and started unlocking it's skills. Both combinations seemed much better to me than anything I was doing in a melee setup. I had kept shield as the offhand to maintain the strong defensive skills it brings. But I'm also liking the staff's skill selection, especially that your auto-attack can hit up to 5 foes. And it brings pretty nice defense as well, with the wall that foes can't pass through.

Switching to play my Guardian ranged drastically changed how I felt about the class. I was ready to say I didn't enjoy it when I played it as melee, and now I think it's great.
    That's a bit how I feel as well. Not that I have a log of knowledge of the class and I just had found a staff when we got kicked, but going ranged, made it a lot more fun to play.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Ranged guardian, as well as ranged warrior, are pretty cool options. What I like is that as a general thing, ranged options feel true to the profession. Ranged staff on guardian was a bit odd though because the 1 skill is AoE short-ranged, but the 2 skill is longer-ranged and when I figure out how to change the autoattack skill, it'll be all good.

Melee combat is fun, but personally I will have at least one ranged set on each character.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    I played a Norn Guardian to lvl 18 during the BWE.
    At start i had some problems to play melee style and played mostly wand/shield. My guardian didnt seem to be tough enough to go melee.

That changed once i had accumulated funds enough to buy the book for the traits. I invested all my trait points into toughnes and that really changed things for me.

So lvls 13 to 18 I enjoyed switching back and forth from 2H sword in one weapon slot to wand/shield in the other.

I will most certainly try to play a guardian like that all the way after release.
    I never had such a versatile character in any of the MMO's i played before. She can even do fire magic :)
    Last edited by Ora; 30-04-2012 at 02:05.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    I was more than positively surprised about the ranged gameplay.

Started off with traditional sword/shield, also tried mace and wand along with it, didn't like it.

Switched to 2h sword and liked it a lot - actually still like it best - but also found that there are situations where I'd prefer a ranged weapon.

So I switched to staff, more for laughs really, but had to find out that it's quite effective. Not so much when going solo, but in small groups or events it really started to shine. In the end I kept switching between 2h sword and staff.

Personally I think the answer is that you don't have to decide between melee or ranged guardian, you can easily switch between the two depending on the situation. While I was (still am) shocked over how few skills you have available compared to GW1, this kind of weapon switching extends skill limitations in a highly flexible way.

I absolutely loved playing my Guardian in both Melee and mid line.

However the problem i came across frequently in WvW was it's range.

When we fought outside a keep i was able to take out some players in Melee as by that time i had got dodging and movement down pretty well, and was able to help thin the ranks of defenders outside the fortress's, aswell as buff aliies to help them taken down players outside too.

However when it came to banging on the door and hitting players on the walls i felt all but useless, i dont know what i was doing wrong or if the Guardian just doesnt have a long range capability, but while others would be firing spells and bullets and arrows at the door and wall defenders, i found myself doing pretty much nothing.

The teleport / Blind skill on the 1H sword cannot teleport you up to the top of the fort, so i couldnt get up there and cause some trouble for the players up there to help the players down below.

The Greatswords Binding blade skill cannot drag an enemy player down from the fort (Or at least it didnt whenever i tried it), so i couldnt pull the defenders down to help the squad out either.

If i ran up to the door to Melee it with the swords i would frequently be hit by the oil / Tar that enemy players dropped down.

And i found that switching to my scepter would allow me to spam the orbs of light, but they follow the ground and cannot reach the defenders on the top of walls.

The staff is more Mid Ranged, thus even to use the spam skill i need to be pretty close to the door.

And the hammer and mace seem more Melee AOE, so again no range (Unless i'm missing something obvious)

I did find myself watching where the enemy players were shooting and going putting up some defensive bubbles to protect them and even res fallen allies, but in terms of the actual bringing down of the door i couldnt have fealt more useless.

So for those of you who played Guardian in WvW, how did you handle the fort sieges? was there some particular combo of weapons or utility skills you used to allow you to hit the people up top or hit the door often without being in melee range besides the scepter spam skill? Or do Guardians just not have any major way of contributing besides team defense and resing people at that point in the siege?

Also to note i was level 15 during most of my WvW adventures (Effective 80, but only had 2 utility slots and no elite at this point), hadn't figured out how to buy blueprints, and the siege weapons and arrow launchers that were there, were taken up by other players.

So are the siege weapons and arrow launchers supposed to be the Guardians long range method? buy an arrow launcher blueprint, build one, man it and then attack that way? or did i just completely miss something obvious?

Besides that i absolutely love my Guardian, and intend to get better at playing it, hopefully some responses here will help me better understand things.

- Tsukasa

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa Kamiya View Post
    However the problem i came across frequently in WvW was it's range.
    Sorry to hear that. Yes, I do get the impression that in some WvW scenarios, long-range weapons would be a must. That, or supporting those who do have long-range weapons. Perhaps you would be better suited for different tasks. I'd be curious to hear how useless pets and minions can get in WvW when fighting people on top of (or at the bottom of) walls.

I played warrior with axes and longbow, so long-range was good for me. I found that people on top of walls were hard to hit, but feasible. Generally, you want to take out their defensive weapons first and thin out the herd before going at the door. Generally, whoever has the artillery is at an advantage, then it's long-range weapons, then anything goes.
    == Alaris & clone ==

In bringing up pets you reminded me of something that's off-topic...

They can somehow teleport on top of walls... many times I'd be firing down on attackers and back off when I start taking dmg... only to find I'm still getting hit by the magic teleporting pet...

Semi back on topic... you can help quite a bit as guardian even if you skip the ranged options by helping defend the ram or maybe bubble to protection from incoming arrow cart fire. Plus you can take on the respawning guards. Another option is manning siege weapons. Having said all that, having a good ranged option would still be better IMO.

One other thing to note on WvW sieges. Most of the time you see players shooting up at defenders they aren't hitting squat... same goes for a lot of defenders shorting down.
    Last edited by RabidCoqui; 30-04-2012 at 19:58.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Admittedly, it was difficult with longbow to hit stuff on top of walls or at the bottom of walls. It could be done, but it was not easy.

From above, you needed to be right at the edge of the wall, and you couldn't fire off at distant foes either. The height advantage was mostly that you could step back and not get hit anymore. I don't know if I got a damage increase though, but I did not get much range increase imo.

From below, you can pretty much only hit those who are right on the edge.

At that point, I think most people are meant to build siege weapons, as that does way more damage and has way better range anyway. I was in a WvW fight where both sides had ranged weapons and it was pretty cool.
    == Alaris & clone ==