Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE

Favorite Weapons / Skills?

I had a blast playing Warrior this weekend, more than any other profession I tried. Going into the beta, I thought I had a pretty good idea about the weapons and skills I wanted to use, but I ended up enjoying completely different loadouts than expected.

My favorite weapon so far was the Hammer. Swinging that thing around, slamming it into the ground, it just felt real awesome. The knock docks and everything definitely helped boost survivability.

Ranger:
    Sword+Dagger/Shortbow combo

What's that? You can't hit me because I'm dancing around you?

Guardian:
    Greatsword/Hammer or Sword/mace + Torch

Smashy smashy and burn burn BURN!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    My favorite skills is the weapon swap. Really. I was always a fan of hybrids and of swapping from ranged to melee, but this is by far the greatest thing ever because both weapons are fully operational.

I played thief and warrior this weekend. I tried them not being a fan of either, in the mindset of trying them out so I know what I am missing. I am still not a fan of thief, and initiative is partly to blame... because swapping weapon doesn't carry its own initiative. Which means that if you exhaust your initiative, swapping won't do you any good. Also, if I play squishy, I'd rather be longer-ranged. I think thief lovers though will enjoy it, it's just not my style, never has been.

Warrior was more interesting, and if there were no rangers or guardians, I'd roll a warrior. I was swapping between axe and longbow. I played a bit with other weapons, and greatsword and hammer seemed like fun weapons too. But shooting a few arrows then switching to axes at melee range, that was awesome fun.

From the last beta, I'd add elixir gun and grenade kit for engineer, all the summons for necro (because for summons, they were implemented pretty cool with special abilities you can trigger, and relatively short life and fast re-summon if you take too many risks), and all the clone/phantasm skills for mesmer.

I have yet to try elementalist.
    Last edited by Alaris; 30-04-2012 at 14:46.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    I was a big fan of switching between bow/melee weapons.

However, the skill that pulls foes to you as Guardian with Greatsword, and most of the Guardian skills in general are just plain awesome.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I was most excited about guardian and engineer, but I thought they lacked in some ways. I was not too happy with guardian's ranged weapons, from a personal perspective. I never cared for shooting balls of energy with a staff or scepter, I would have preferred bows. Also, guardian could have used more weapon choices. Engineer was fun but complicated to play. I think if they allow us to swap optional skills and their toolbelt ability it would help, having to press 7 instead of f2 to swap to a kit was hard to do during combat.

Mesmer however really pulled me in. So did necro. I like how you can pop a lot of those thingies and yet they are fragile. The necro's are more resistant, but yet not enough to tank reliably against larger groups... so you need to play well too. Looking forward to elementalist as well (I have yet to try it).

Warrior was really cool as a damage-oriented profession, too bad it felt like it did little else. Thief is just not my cup of tea. Ranger, I have yet to play enough to decide on either, but I think it will offer fun gameplay with the choice of weapons.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Ranged... trumps melee in pvp too easily. I played as warrior and spent most of the time using the rifle.

For pve, I tried them all but was leaning towards mace/axe or greatsword. Hammer was fun too... actually all pretty much were. One thing I found odd is that you have to learn the mainhand skills before the offhand... figured you would learn both at same time.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I took down some ranged players pretty easily as a Warrior. The benefit of Weapon Swapping is that, when the Ranged player would snare me, I could just switch to Rifle if my leap skills were on cooldown.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidCoqui View Post
    Ranged... trumps melee in pvp too easily. (...) One thing I found odd is that you have to learn the mainhand skills before the offhand... figured you would learn both at same time.
    I disagree, I've seen melee do very well in PvP even in WvW. They need to play intelligently because they lack the safety of ranged, but when they get close to you they can easily outdamage you. I'll be swapping between melee & ranged most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I took down some ranged players pretty easily as a Warrior. The benefit of Weapon Swapping is that, when the Ranged player would snare me, I could just switch to Rifle if my leap skills were on cooldown.
    As a warrior, I often shot a few arrows while closing the range, and then swapped to melee axes to do big damage, and back to ranged if they tried to run away. I found it hard to keep up with a fleeing foe while using axes, but I could finish them off with longbow.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Warhorn can give you Swiftness and Hammer has a couple of skills that can let you leap into the target to close the gap. But otherwise, yeah, I agree, Alaris.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Yes, depending on the melee weapons... I found that all weapons had some strengths and weaknesses. Warrior axes were really good at AoE damage, but had low defence and mobility. But other warrior melee weapons can be more defensive (hammers, maces) or provide mobility (swords?, greatswords?).

You could have one melee set for damage, another melee set for mobility... I think that would be entirely viable, but I personally prefer ranged + melee.
    == Alaris & clone ==