PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidCoqui View Post
    Ranged... trumps melee in pvp too easily. I played as warrior and spent most of the time using the rifle.
    Had the same feeling. Despite the heavy armor you just can't get out of bad spots. One weapon swap almost always has to be ranged.

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    I don't really agree... I briefly tried a high offense setup with sword and board + hammer before I went to bed last night. I was critting pretty much every hit for 1100+ with sever/gash and 2500+ on final thrust with my sword. The shield gives you the short stun to interrupt channel skills or stop kiting and shield stance is highly underestimated in pvp imo. It can negate big burst damage like dagger storm etc. Hammer has all the controls you could ever need and Earthshaker makes it almost impossible to outkite you as long as the target doesn't get too much haedstart. Once you land one of your big hammer skills you can just push people around and they can't really do **** unless they have a stability hiding somewhere.

In WvW I used sword warhorn as one of my sets since it is the set that maximizes mobility, I generally combined this with a set with high damage pump such as axe/axe. Obviously I was also using slot skills to control people and stop them kiting me off too easy. One of my main gripes in WvW was I felt like I had to work stupidly hard to drop people. This is due to lack of equipment/traits. The differences became apparent when I tried the 5v5 format.

I found throw bolas and stomp to be incredibly useful for shoving people around in melee. Bolas for its 20 recharge and broken 4 second immobilise and stomp just because launch is strong. Some people were raving about bulls charge but I didn't get around to testing it.

Personally I found warrior ranged options to be kinda lacking in damage compared to melee.
    Last edited by Tyris Requiem; 30-04-2012 at 23:32.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I think ranged is not about damage, but about doing damage while staying out of trouble. The only damage advantage you have really is a few shots while they close the distance, or a few shots while they start running away. Also the shots while they are running away but still in range as you pursue.

In 5v5 I can see a fully melee set working really well. In WvW though there are plenty of occasions where longbow became useful for me that I would not part with it. Some of those were more about staying out of trouble, so I can see skilled players going melee in the same situation and being effective at it. But I am not that good at melee.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I actually loved the Rifle, but wasn't enamoured with the melee options. Mostly ran axe/axe, but couldn't really find a good setup.

Didn't feel I should start a new thread for a simple comment...

I finally got around to remaking my BWE warrior and I'm really liking axe mainhand with mace offhand. I used to play mace main with sword off which was fun too... so many weapons I can't decide!

Interestingly, greatsword is kinda down on my list. Although I think that might be more since I was mostly in mobs of players during events when using it... in those circumstances, pretty much nothing is interesting.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I frequently switch up the weapons I use myself, actually.

Sword offhand is great. I love Impale / Rip. When I'm using 1h, I usually use Axe in the offhand for Whirling Axe. That's too fun.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I frequently switch up the weapons I use myself, actually.

Sword offhand is great. I love Impale / Rip. When I'm using 1h, I usually use Axe in the offhand for Whirling Axe. That's too fun.
    Even more so when you trigger a combo with it. It's thermonuclear when that happens.

The more I use the axe/mace combo the more I like it. For some stupid reason I hadn't noticed that cyclone axe applies vulnerability. So it gives me two skills to stack vulnerability and the long range kd on offhand mace is fun.

OK... I'm back to loving the greatsword.
    Last edited by RabidCoqui; 02-09-2012 at 21:57.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    My problem with mace offhand (which I wanted to use) is that the KD has a 25 second cooldown. Snore.

So once per fight or every other fight... not bad for a KD. Plus, it's long range and can hit multiple foes. I usually start with it then close the distance and apply vulnerability twice.

Anyways, I've been on greatsword again and loving it... also switched my ranged from rifle to longbow and I'm finding it useful with all the player zergs during events.