Top moment for me were:
- L.A's diving board: Absolutely sold it for me, especially diving off with the goggles to do flips, shame that our characters dont actually wear them on their character model but could have just been an oversight.
- Meeting Dougal Keene: Been a huge fan of his since reading Ghosts of Ascalon, was nice to finally put a face and voice to his lines, also got to ask him what he's doing now and what happened on the journey back from Ascalon)
- WvW: Absolutely loved every part of World Vs World, to much here to detail, so i'll just say all of it!
- Humor: This is mostly regarding armour loss, long story short i was in a large group with my friend in WvW and several of our allies lost their pants due to excessive death, what amused me though was these players characters started talking every so often like the heroes do in GW1.
One girl who had lost her pants who i had just revived said "I feel so vulnerable....." as she ran back into combat, this was her character talking, not her typing it in the chat, and a large male norn player character who had ran past me after losing his pants started saying something along the lines of "By the bear! is it just me or is it cold all of a sudden!"
I'm sure it was something that was supposed to let the players themselves know they had lost armour pieces, but for the people fighting by their side like me it was absolutely hilarious, the norn one especially made me cry with laughter, as i can just imagine a norn being so pre ocupied by a good battle that he failed to realise he had lost his pants.
Cant help but wonder if fully naked (AKA just in underwear) characters have different dialogue copared to ones who had just lost one piece.
- Combat: Was even better than i could have imagined, had some bad lag on Friday that made combat near impossible, but after Saturday update to the servers combat was a hell of alot more fun. and i especially love how our characters vocalise what conditions they have "AHH my leg!" For crippled, "I...I CAN'T SEE!" for blind, and so forth and so forth, was a very nice touch.
- Nostalgia: Seeing the old Lions arch and working out the layout, going and running up the lighthouse which is apparently the only surviving piece of the original LA still intact, and seeing the sunken Temple of the ages (And being mauled to death by the veteran fish that patrols the waters there....), didnt go to Ascalon as i didn't want to do to much, nor did i do the personal story beyond the tutorial as i wanted to avoid spoilers.
- The Art: I absolutely love the look of the game, but what i found to be a nice touch was the outside of the UI, which on the sides and top and bottom, looks slightly torn or splashed with dark paint, it makes the game screen look like a moving painting, a very nice touch.
PC Gaming News
Results 21 to 30 of 76
Thread: Your favourite part of beta?
01-05-2012, 15:54 #21
Last edited by Tsukasa Kamiya; 01-05-2012 at 15:57.
01-05-2012, 19:21 #22
All of it. (Well except the server issues and know bugs, laggy mail, server lag, damage scaling on boss mobs etc... but those will be fixed by release so who cares.)
The combat especially though. It has great flow and using skills on the move makes the game feel so fluid and so right. Dodge as well... <3 dodge. Positioning has actual value and you don't just spam a dps rotation. Most importantly its not dumbed down to the point of being LOL LOL FACEROLL SUPER EASY MODE!!! The difficulty is reasonable enough, you know you will die sometimes, this is a good thing and the skill cap is high enough to provide a good challenge.
Events felt so natural. Hearts are not really that original except they cut out the entire pick up quest drop off quest crap that was so pointless anyway. Also hearts have multiple activities so u don't get bored anywhere near as fast as vanilla kill 10 rats. The event scaling was really great and it felt completely natural to work together with other players in events.
Oh my god I am so hyped for this game now... this is the game I have been waiting for all this time.
I sadfaced when they turned off the servers... I need my next fix.
01-05-2012, 21:23 #23
01-05-2012, 21:28 #24
01-05-2012, 21:29 #25
Withdrawal symptoms aside, I did enjoy the combat a lot for the reasons you mentioned. It's not really like anything I've played before. I found myself learning the controls a lot faster with this game than with others. Dodge is amazing, I love the fact I get to see when I had a successful dodge too, and how I noticed it more and more as I got more accustomed to it. So much fun!Dea Draconis • Friendship is Magic • Dea Felidae
01-05-2012, 21:37 #26
yeah i was sad when i had to go back onto swtor(still better then WoW), while i was playing i just felt so bored and uninterested in the game. but ive been feeling that way for awhile since im stuck on a low pop server and its pretty much dead :( but finally playing GW2 didnt help that one bit lol now i just find lack of stimulation, nothing crazy goes on in swtor, cant dodge attacks, people stand and cast(lol) arrrrg
01-05-2012, 21:41 #27
I can't even look at other games without feeling a bit resentful towards them now...
I got it bad for this game.Dea Draconis • Friendship is Magic • Dea Felidae
01-05-2012, 21:45 #28
01-05-2012, 22:03 #29
I still play a little AoC now and then, it's still ok because the combat system is pretty similar to GW2, except there's a lot of stupid frustrating things in the game which make me stop playing after two or three pvp matches :/
Why can't we just keep beta testing until release x_x
01-05-2012, 22:07 #30
What's not to like? I loved every minute of it and i cannot wait until the next beta weekend extravaganza! I'll see you all in game :)