GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]

How to spot a noob in GW2

This thread of for fun, but also to give some pointers to new players. We're all noobs here, there's no shame in it.

-----

Noob rangers are easy to spot, because they walk around with dead pets. The pet has a "revive me" sign on it, but it still follows you around giving the illusion of life.

I've seen two people fighting in their underwear. I explained to one that he needed to get his armor repaired. The other was in WvW team so I did not get a chance to explain the armor repair.

Noobs trying to revive people in the middle of massive AoE's, instead of waiting for AoE's to stop or clearing nearby foes first. Guilty as charged.

People shooting off 5-6 shots after everything is dead in large battles. 1-2 is understandable. More than that you need to learn the UI better, especially red outlines of your target. Admittedly, I can see this being a common problem that settles pretty quickly with experience.

Mesmers in PvP making clones, then immediately using skills clones can't use or circle strafing which clones also don't do, thereby giving away their position. Maximum confusion is achieved by acting like clones at least part-time. And those who actually get confused by the clones despite the noob mesmer behavior, those too are noobs.

And that one engineer complaining that he gets no weapon swap. I explained to him about kits, he was very grateful.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    I saw a couple of people saying that they had trashed their armour after it had been damaged because they didn't know it could be repaired.

Apparently I missed something as well. Someone said you could send things to your bank for free without a bank golem or visiting the bank (send, not get back). I know I can e-mail something to somebody, but I missed being able to send stuff to the bank that way if it was there? I deleted some crafting materials quite often just because I didn't want to go back to the bank / merchant to unload.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Would be nice if right-clicking an item also allowed you to send to bank or sell to merc, instead of just letting you equip or destroy.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Noob rangers are easy to spot, because they walk around with dead pets. The pet has a "revive me" sign on it, but it still follows you around giving the illusion of life.
    I left my pet dead on purpose. Got tired of reviving after it went down for the 35,327,477 time. Maybe I'm noob for not spotting the "leave pet at home" option.

People shooting off 5-6 shots after everything is dead in large battles. 1-2 is understandable. More than that you need to learn the UI better, especially red outlines of your target. Admittedly, I can see this being a common problem that settles pretty quickly with experience.
    Some might be noob, others might be for fun. I saw a lot of people just firing off stuff after a battle because they can. There's no energy to manage, so why not make some fireworks after killing a large group?

-T

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i'm not a noob, i am a newbe.......
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by teina View Post
    I left my pet dead on purpose.
    Makes sense. I would suggest a ranged pet then.

As for fireworks, if it's on purpose then it's all good. But I get the impression that many just didn't realize the fight was over.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    The noob thief or necro is the person that's spamming their basic dagger attack like mad and never hitting anything because the target is 2 meters away...

I did that a few times until I learned to use the range indicator, but I saw that happen all the time even in the level 20 areas. It's amusing to look at though.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
    The noob thief or necro is the person that's spamming their basic dagger attack like mad and never hitting anything because the target is 2 meters away...
    LOL, that was me a few times as well--looked back to my character like WTF, then....oh. >_<

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Personally, I think it's just a bit too soon to be making threads like this. I know you said it's simply for fun and pointers, and yes we are all noobs at this point. But still, we've only had ONE BWE.

This thread would have been fine, if it made no mention of noobs, period. I mean, some people (and by some people, I mean everyone) are still trying to figure things out. There is a fair amount of adjustment going on from all angles. GW veterans are going to have to get used to non-instancing. Veterans of other MMOs are adjusting to other various things as well. And we're all adjusting to not having dedicated healers (which has been great so far), skills based upon weapons, etc.

Some of the things you mentioned though, are understandable to be happening at this point. Maybe if it was like 6 months after the actual game was released, then yeah, I think we have a problem (minus people who just got the game at that point).

A) Dead pets. Yes, they give the illusion of life. That's what can be confusing about it. We are used to seeing a dead pet actually be dead. I know there is an icon above it, but still. Also, the pet AI was kinda wonky, so having to keep resurrecting your pets got to be a pain.

B) No one is used to having to repair armor. At least in a GW setting.

C) I did it a few times but it was from more or less not thinking and getting caught in the moment.

D) Hey, I found sometimes it couldn't be helped. There were some times where I'd finish an enemy, and I'd let a few extra fireballs fly inadvertantly. I even did it with a meteor shower. I miscalculated how long it took for meteors to start falling, and by the time they started, the fight was over.

E) I didn't PvP at all, but that sounds like something else that will take some getting used to. My only experience seeing clones was in PvE where they all appear ghostly. I had just assumed that they always looked like that (including PvP), but where just there for extra damage, not to make you blend in. Give people time on this one before you start calling anyone noobs.

F) I'd have suspected they were a new player and perhaps didn't read up on all that info. But then, I had seen some people in the alliance saying the same thing.

As a recap, I understand WHY you made this thread, but perhaps it could have been made (especially the title) in a less elitist way? Afterall, we are all noobs (technically we are newbs, there is a difference between newbs and noobs), so we shouldn't be downgrading anyone for any level of incompetence. It's when people repeatedly refuse to learn and improve upon these things that they deserve the title of noob. One weekend isn't enough to fully learn and improve anything.
    Last edited by bearsfwd; 30-04-2012 at 19:15.