PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    I do believe that this was meant as a tongue in cheek thread. And you'll notice that we're mostly making fun of ourselves.

It's just funny to observe how I'm not the only one doing something that's really getting me nowhere... (like launching my twisting dagger attack on an already dead foe.)

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    I'm trying to think when I wasn't going around with an "I'm a noob" sign over my heard. And the first "Out of range" message made me think, "Fine, then automatically move me into range."

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
    I do believe that this was meant as a tongue in cheek thread. And you'll notice that we're mostly making fun of ourselves.
    I'm sure all the regulars here realize that - especially since Alaris made the thread.

But if you're fresh from somewhere else, for example the official forum, it's likely to be misunderstood - at least the title.

Can't say I find it much fun in this thread, though I agree it's harmless.

[edit]Damn that spelling. I knew of someone who was called Aralis in another game... Sorry.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 30-04-2012 at 20:16.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    Personally, I think it's just a bit too soon to be making threads like this. I know you said it's simply for fun and pointers, and yes we are all noobs at this point. But still, we've only had ONE BWE.
    Of course. But I think it also makes it a good place to learn, which would be good for the coming BWE (there will be more) especially for those who missed this one.

Notice how I call myself noob, or I call others noob but then offer them pointers (even in-game). I don't use the word to insult, but rather to invite learning.

As for the clones, there're different from phantasms (ghostly ones) because clones actually look like you. They are meant to be confusing. They actually look like players, and often pop up where the player was so you would be confused. There's a mini-game in PvP which is in mesmers trying to behave like clones, and other players to figure out who the real player is.

As a recap, I am totally not elitist. I see how this thread might sound that way (and some of my articles too) but I use humour to encourage learning, and I consider myself to be a full-time noob.

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    I'm sure all the regulars here realize that - especially since Aralis made the thread.
    Aralis ;)
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Would be nice if right-clicking an item also allowed you to send to bank or sell to merc, instead of just letting you equip or destroy.
    You can deposit minipets without having to be at the bank. Right clicking them gave an option for "Deposit into your collection".
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

The noob thief or necro is the person that's spamming their basic dagger attack like mad and never hitting anything because the target is 2 meters away...

I did that a few times until I learned to use the range indicator, but I saw that happen all the time even in the level 20 areas. It's amusing to look at though.
    There was a range indicator?

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I think the most repeated newbie mistakes I've seen were related to communication in WvW. Like telling your attack plans in local channel, which was viewable by all teams (something Anet has to fix really, because it kind of defeats the purpose of not showing opponents names). Or thinking that the team channel was limited to the current map, instead of being shared across the whole server (something I'm guilty of).

Or when someone puts a battering ram in the middle of nowhere, thinking they'll be able to move it close to the gate afterwards. MMOs can be pretty funny when everyone's still learning.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulin View Post
    There was a range indicator?
    Yes.

If you weren't in range to use a particular skill, its shortcut number would be in red. This was also true of skills with AOE effects, but you could usually eyeball that anyway.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I do believe that this was meant as a tongue in cheek thread. And you'll notice that we're mostly making fun of ourselves
    No, I do know that...being in Dii with Alaris, you kinda learn that.

Giving pointers is one thing. Heck, I hadn't even noticed your skills signified when you were close enough to your target until someone told me. Of course, after I found that out, I had already learned how to eyeball the distance between me and the targets anyway, not that it mattered...I'd typically get their attention, and if they were melee, I'd drop Lava Font and Meteor Shower at my feet. They were too busy attacking me that they wouldn't scatter, thus taking the full force of LF and MS. And, if I didn't kill them and they downed me first, they usually had a small amount of health that I would be able to finish them off with, thus allowing me to rally and continue on.

Heck, there were times I'd get downed, some kind soul would res me, then I'd run right back in to what I was TRYING to do and get downed again, and they'd res me again. Rinse and repeat. All for a lousy skill point challenge stuck in the middle of a bunch of centaurs...

And yes, some of the stuff Alaris mentioned is funny to see, especially considering most of us probably did most of it. Who didn't res their pet at times? Who continued attacking after the fight was over? If you say you didn't you are probably lying or you need to get a life.

The plus is, we are all newbs at this game, so there is no room for ANYONE to call anyone else a noob. Like I said, save that for six months after release when the hardcore players have separated themselves from the casuals.

I have nothing against this thread the way it was meant, just simply the way it could be construed by those new to the site due to GW2. I know we don't want to be like guru now.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Noob rangers are easy to spot, because they walk around with dead pets. The pet has a "revive me" sign on it, but it still follows you around giving the illusion of life.
    It took me a good long while to understand I should not bother reviving their pets, and that there was a different icon for dead pet or dead player. >_>

I've seen two people fighting in their underwear. I explained to one that he needed to get his armor repaired. The other was in WvW team so I did not get a chance to explain the armor repair.
    I ended up in my underwear once, and then because neurotic about getting it repaired. :( I wish I was more carefree about having my underclothes showing!

Noobs trying to revive people in the middle of massive AoE's, instead of waiting for AoE's to stop or clearing nearby foes first. Guilty as charged.
    I did this. Lots. Too much RA has made going to res someone almost a reflex reaction to avoid the cries of 'omg res me noob' etc etc.

People shooting off 5-6 shots after everything is dead in large battles. 1-2 is understandable. More than that you need to learn the UI better, especially red outlines of your target. Admittedly, I can see this being a common problem that settles pretty quickly with experience.
    I did this too. Sometimes my character didn't want to stop!

Mesmers in PvP making clones, then immediately using skills clones can't use or circle strafing which clones also don't do, thereby giving away their position. Maximum confusion is achieved by acting like clones at least part-time. And those who actually get confused by the clones despite the noob mesmer behavior, those too are noobs.
    Clones are really annoying. I'm the noob that attacked them instead of looking out for the real mesmer.

I am the noob to rule them all.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728