PC Gaming News

Bring Back GvG and guild halls...and my own thoughts

Played the beta weekend this past week, and while I do think there have been significant improvements in terms of the physics and graphics. I do have a few thoughts on how I think the game can be further improved(from an old gw1 pvper).

1)Bring back GvG and guild halls. Playing the arenas, even in an organised team, just feels so....WoW. Personally I think that guild halls were one of the defining trademarks of gw1(hey its GUILD wars after all). Playing GvG on your home hall just somehow created a much stronger sense of belonging. I also hope that they introduce the "GUild XX" vs "Y's team" starting screen that used to appear in gw1 tombs/gvg battles.

2)Observer mode
    One of the best ways to promote organised PvP, be it for the competitive or the casual, and observer mode is great way to learn from the best.

3) henchies and more instance missions
    As much as I like the dynamic events, there are times(like 2am in the morning) when I just dont feel like getting involved in a mindless zerg with 10FPS. Other than the personal story, alot of quests still feels grindish. Of course grinding will never completely be isolated from an MMO, but I do wish to see more mini instances that can be done with henchmen.

Other than that, my personal thoughts on pvp(more arenas since I'm more into structured pvp rather than WvW)
    -Introduce a capture the flag map: the capture-the-area-and-hold-for-points system is fun but there were literally times my team won just by a couple of us running to the empty areas and capturing them.

-early days still, but so far from what I have seen spiking seems alot more complicated
    Its not necessarily a bad thing, but in GW2 alot of the focus seems to be on the individual character and what he does rather than what the team does. Back in GW1 core days(didnt play the expos), almost all the discussion was about 8v8 team builds not what my ele or warrior or guardian shd spec etc. I miss the days of insta kill ranger spike and 1/4sec infuse health lifesavers(i wish there was a dedicated healer too, oh well), split teams, etc etc.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    I wasn't aware that guild halls were not making a comeback...hmm. If not, then yes, please bring back GHs, and GvG as well--the game is "Guild Wars" after all..

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Correction.

Guild Halls won't be in at release, but they did say they're working on that.

1) Still wishing for a conquest map (or two, or three) designed to emulate GvG-like gameplay.

2) /signed

3) Being able to make your own team for some storylines would be awesome. However, I don't want too much emphasis on that, perhaps a starting area where you can pick who are your followers, and off you go, just like that 2nd to end mission in Factions.
    Last edited by Alaris; 30-04-2012 at 23:46.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaGamer View Post
    3) henchies and more instance missions
    As much as I like the dynamic events, there are times(like 2am in the morning) when I just dont feel like getting involved in a mindless zerg with 10FPS. Other than the personal story, alot of quests still feels grindish. Of course grinding will never completely be isolated from an MMO, but I do wish to see more mini instances that can be done with henchmen.
    No to the henchman. We don't need them, and the game isn't really built for them. GW was build perfectly for henchmen due to the heavy instancing. But when you have a persistent world like this, I don't even know HOW they'd go about doing henchmen. I'm sure the personal story will be balanced a bit to make it easier in some cases and harder in others though, so henchman shouldn't be needed there either. The personal story, IMO, shouldn't be so hard that one cannot do it on their own, and I don't think it will be, especially if your level is around where it should be for that particular story mission.

Unlike GW quests where you had to kill a certain number of things (and you couldn't leave the instance until it was finished or you lost your progress), it seems to me that some of the renown heart "quests" you can do some, then go do something else, then come back and finish it. I did that several times this weekend, I'd run through an area with a renown heart, I'd do a few of the objectives as I was passing through, then when I'd go back through an hour later or so, it would pick up right where I left off. So really, I would say there isn't any grind required. It's a do at your own leisure type of deal. If you don't want something to feel like grind, just do a little bit, then go work on something else, especially if a DE is happening nearby. The one I can think of that I did several times was when I was killing spiders in the orchard. While killing spiders, a DE would appear occasionally where you had to collect apples. So, while I was killing spiders, I started collecting apples at the same time (some spiders dropped apples as well). Then, I'd go turn the apples in. If the thing was just kill spiders or just collect apples, then it would seem pretty grindy, IMO. But, to each their own I guess.

On top of that, you can't gauge what your FPS will be at release on a beta. They didn't have the game optimized for GPU for this BWE, it used the CPU instead. They should have it GPU optimized for the next BWE...I'd hope. I'd imagine they have been working on it, but weren't ready to throw it in this BWE. This was the cause of a good chunk of the FPS issues. I'm sure others were just straight up lag. That will surely be improved upon as well. This was probably their first large scale test. The closed beta tests and press betas I'm sure had nowhere near the number of people that participated in this BWE. With that data, performance issues can be improved upon, optimization can be done a bit better, and improvements to how the overflow servers are dealt with will surely be a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post
    I wasn't aware that guild halls were not making a comeback...hmm. If not, then yes, please bring back GHs, and GvG as well--the game is "Guild Wars" after all..
    They won't be in at release, as per the second note on the Guild wiki page. So at some point, you can probably count on seeing them. I would suspect GvG would come along with them if not shortly after.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    If not GH and GvG, at least something that promotes and re-enforced the guild team aspect. Capture the flag maps def need to be included, as it provides that extra element of tactical planning and playing to really make the game deep and cerebral. I think depth of team builds/team tactics will take a little while to emerge. I'm going to keep an eye on PvP videos as I have a feeling I will initially miss a lot of the little subtleties the game potentially offers. But as you said, early days.

Observer mode is a must. I learned a lot from watching it.

Not sure about henchmen, but I can see where you're coming from.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    To add, if they have henchies I would have them *only* in instanced areas. In persistent areas and WvW, I would not have them... there are already summons and NPCs for that.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    I didn't miss any H/H not being with me. Glad to know GH's will be back sometime, but this from the wiki has me hoping there will be a change, too - "...with guild members being easily located on a map..." as TRUEbies had a very difficult time finding one another, and then the counterfeit guilds with [TRUE] made it even worse. So I hope the gold tags will reappear.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild