PC Gaming News

Study: Invitation to Participate in Research Project: GW2 and the HoM

Hello everyone!

I am a research student at Brunel University in the UK. Last year I conducted a study on titles and achievements in Guild Wars. Specifically, I was investigating the role that 'titles' have within the sub-cultures that exist inside the game and how the "Hall of Monuments" is trying to tie GW1 together with GW2. Due to the recent surge of activity thanks to the public beta weekend, I felt that now would be a good time to conduct a follow-up study.

As I discovered during my previous study, my own Guild Wars experience has not been that comprehensive compared to the standards of many other players. However, I do have over 1000 hours of experience across each of the games and I am extremely passionate about the series!

You can access the survey here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6DW7MBQ

There are 6 pages in total: 2 pages containing 40 statements to be rated on a simple scale; 1 page containing 3 open-ended questions; 1 page asking for demographic data (age, sex, amount played, preferred in-game activity, etc); and introduction / conclusion. Those of you familiar with the work of Nick Yee and Richard Bartle may recognise some of the questions because I am using their frameworks to help classify the results. I am aware that this has created some repetition, but I decided to leave them in so I could measure response consistency.

It can take up to 15-20 minutes to complete the survey, depending on the level of detail you provide in the open-ended responses and whether you need to log into GW1 to help estimate your playing time (e.g. using the /age command). Most people involved in the pilot test were able to complete the survey in 10-12 minutes.

I take research ethics very seriously so I have ensured that all of the relevant precautions have been made - anonymity, confidentiality, security, and data protection. No group or individual will be identified in the findings, however anonymous excerpts may be printed in journal articles or conference proceedings.

I am happy to share my findings with any participant. Simply provide an email address and indicate that you wish to be sent the findings at the end of the survey. Alternatively, you can email me at the address provided in the survey introduction.

Thank you very much for your time and attention. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask here or email me.

With Regards,
    Adrir

PS. Please accept my apologies if it is a little invasive or presumptuous of me to invite members of this community to participate in my research. I am seeking about 200+ participants so I am promoting the survey across several community websites.

:-)

Will fill out tomorrow

If I remember it

Don't count on it. But I might.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Spoiler

Not funny.
    Spoiler

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Will fill out tomorrow
    Thanks.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    done
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    Filled one out ;>

Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    done
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Requiem View Post
    Filled one out ;>
    Thank you very much. It is much appreciated!

GWOnline.Net Member Flamefang of Arnor's Avatar
    Server

Fort Aspenwood
    Filled one out also, I think this is the first survey I've done without financial compensation for... some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamefang of Arnor View Post
    Filled one out also, I think this is the first survey I've done without financial compensation for... some time.
    Awesome. Thanks!