Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate gw2!!!

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    My system barely handled GW2. The only real big problem was getting into large mobs - I mean, I was maybe getting 5fps during the big stuff. This will hopefully be all optimized and smoothed over(it did run off of the CPU, so it was overall less stable and smooth that it would be had it been running from the GPU), with the addition of some sort of particle effect reducer slider in the graphics settings for those who require it (some press did a video comparing the different graphical quality setting son GW2, and turning it to lowest quality/best performance did also turn down the particle effects a lot, so there is that if the next beta does not include some sort of option to tone it down).

Either way, it's hard to comment on it until we get to play with an optimized version and see what can be done about all the flashing effects and so on,
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    My system barely handled GW2. The only real big problem was getting into large mobs - I mean, I was maybe getting 5fps during the big stuff. This will hopefully be all optimized and smoothed over(it did run off of the CPU, so it was overall less stable and smooth that it would be had it been running from the GPU), with the addition of some sort of particle effect reducer slider in the graphics settings for those who require it (some press did a video comparing the different graphical quality setting son GW2, and turning it to lowest quality/best performance did also turn down the particle effects a lot, so there is that if the next beta does not include some sort of option to tone it down).

Either way, it's hard to comment on it until we get to play with an optimized version and see what can be done about all the flashing effects and so on,
    I played at lowest setting... And still couldn't see anything due to the particle affect (forget that fractional FPS that I got for an instance) There were times when I simply couldn't see the word "out of range" (or only partly so). Going ranged did solve it a bit, as I had more time to look around and my FPS got a bit better...

I really hope they'll let the game run from the GPU next time as that is a lot newer than my processor...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    What happened in the last two hundred or so years that made the red dots disappear from our GW's radar?

I'm not actually arguing lore here. And I know they are making a new game. But some things in GW1 worked well and didn't have to be unique to that game. And this is still a Guild Wars game and for seven years we've had red dots on the radar. Why are they gone? Stealth? Just have anyone in stealth not show as a red dot. Mesmer clones? All three show up as a red dots.

Not wanting us to be looking at the compass seems like a bad reason. Other than a quick glance now and then to see if any new enemies are coming into range it doesn't really help you in a fight so you will concentrate on the fight. Not sightseeing? Usually if you are trying to avoid foes it is because you're in a hurry to get somewhere. You won't be sightseeing regardless; moreover if you're fighting because it's harder to avoid foes you are definitely not sight seeing then.

Ultimately I think I'll just get used to learning to eyeball agro range and I haven't seen as many patrols as in GW1 and there doesn't seem to be the same opportunity for running around as in GW1, so I'll learn to live with it. I still think it would be better for it to be in though. I would be very happy to be convinced otherwise.
    My solution to this is to simply allow us to enable or disable these features if we want them or not. I can appreciate the desire to reduce the dependency on the HUD and radar elements, but the ability to allow several types of strategy is also a good thing--flexibility is a virtue in game design. Simply add an interface editor with the option to "Show enemies on radar". Problem solved.

Speaking of radar, several times, friends I was playing with would pop up and disappear on the radar seemingly at random, which caused us to get separated in big places like Divinity's Reach. If this were "real life", sure that can and does happen, but in a game there needs to be a balance between realism and convenient game mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    I played at lowest setting... And still couldn't see anything due to the particle affect (forget that fractional FPS that I got for an instance) There were times when I simply couldn't see the word "out of range" (or only partly so). Going ranged did solve it a bit, as I had more time to look around and my FPS got a bit better...

I really hope they'll let the game run from the GPU next time as that is a lot newer than my processor...
    Well I had noticed that my pc wasn't getting warm or the internal fans reffing up at all.. checking the stats revealed that during gameplay both the CPU and GPU's (SLI) weren't really doing that much; actually no more than around 10-20% of max processing.
    fps stayed between 25 - 50.
    Something is just holding graphical performance back.. perhapse intentionally capped because it was a beta and Anet was making sure a diverse range of pc-systems are not too stressed, so just to avoid those bugs from reaching the tech-dep in this Beta and them concentrating on server issues.

Something else I noticed when playing in 3d-vision is that it is very easy to see distance to enemy.. so red dots on radar are less important then imo.
    Also game looks really great in 3d; and switching it on doesn't cost a single fps! (the gpu's do double their workload as seen in afterburner).
    Normally in every game I've played that rock in 3d (like skyrim and GW1) I experienced a hit in max fps of about 50% (ofcourse no vsync), that hit is logical since twice the numer of frames have to be drawn in 3d vision.

Anyhow.. Anet have said a few times they will be optimising the engine.. I believe them.. it probably will become way less capped and also more threaded. I have no question that I will get 60+ fps on highest settings at release.

Just to be more on toppic; I like point and click.. but that's 2nd person interaction:
    'Hey little rough looking Charr I have created; please go where I click'

The way it is now with no point&click.. and only direct control:
    'I key W I walk forward, with key D I will walk right'

So we have more immersion! But no first person camera is a pity.. but I'm sure that is yet to be implemented.

just my 2 coppers

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    just to make it simple, if you don't like how GW2 plays then you certainly not gonna like any of the 2 fable games.
    you have no red dots because, like lionhead also said, it's a shame to see ppl stare at a radar all the time while the dev team has worked so hard to make such a beautiful world.
    i can understand click&move a but, just know that you will not be able to dodge with it.
    Wrong. Pick up a sword as a guardian. Skill 1 is melee, skill 2 will bring you to melee range and thus has a ranged range.
    sadly the range is so low any caster can out-damage the melee character before it even has a chance to get in range, and then you have KB which is 2X the range of this second skill with an additional penalty that the skill still needs to be recharged.
    try to take down the siege devourer in the charr arena with a sword and a shield, all you can do is dodge and hope you don't get killed within the first 10 seconds.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    There's no point and click to move feature? Oh, well I never used that anyway. It's simply far easier for me to wasd my way around. Probably a habit from all the fps games I used to (and still play...)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax The Chosen View Post
    Something else I noticed when playing in 3d-vision is that it is very easy to see distance to enemy.. so red dots on radar are less important then imo.
    Also game looks really great in 3d; and switching it on doesn't cost a single fps! (the gpu's do double their workload as seen in afterburner).
    Normally in every game I've played that rock in 3d (like skyrim and GW1) I experienced a hit in max fps of about 50% (ofcourse no vsync), that hit is logical since twice the numer of frames have to be drawn in 3d vision.
    I think I just found a reason to buy overpriced 3D crap :D

WvW in 3D is gonna be so awesome.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrax The Chosen View Post
    Well I had noticed that my pc wasn't getting warm or the internal fans reffing up at all.. checking the stats revealed that during gameplay both the CPU and GPU's (SLI) weren't really doing that much; actually no more than around 10-20% of max processing.
    fps stayed between 25 - 50.
    Something is just holding graphical performance back.. perhapse intentionally capped because it was a beta and Anet was making sure a diverse range of pc-systems are not too stressed, so just to avoid those bugs from reaching the tech-dep in this Beta and them concentrating on server issues.

Anyhow.. Anet have said a few times they will be optimising the engine.. I believe them.. it probably will become way less capped and also more threaded. I have no question that I will get 60+ fps on highest settings at release.

Just to be more on toppic; I like point and click.. but that's 2nd person interaction:
    'Hey little rough looking Charr I have created; please go where I click'

The way it is now with no point&click.. and only direct control:
    'I key W I walk forward, with key D I will walk right'

So we have more immersion! But no first person camera is a pity.. but I'm sure that is yet to be implemented.

just my 2 coppers
    If you have 3D, you can't even start comparing your system to mine. Mine was working very, very hard and I still had less than 2 FPS during the more crowded events.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Server

Sea of Sorrow's
    Quote Originally Posted by Saldonus Darkholme View Post
    I have played Guild Wars since day one, 7 years ago. My wife and I absolutely fell in LOVE with it. In that 7 years, we have purchased 5 accounts, all with updates/chapters. We have bought the BMP, merc slots, extra character slots, costumes, ...the whole 9 yards.

Well, as it stands, we have spent $60 on GW2, and that will be it (unless something changes). Reason?

1. I FRICKIN HATE not having point-and-click movement.
    2. I FRICKIN HATE not being able to doubleclick to interact, either with NPCs or enemies.
    3. I FRICKIN HATE not having the red dots on the compass to see where the baddies are.
    4. I FRICKIN HATE having to loot the bodies, instead of the drops just hitting the ground, so you can determine whether you want to walk over there and pick it up.
    5. I FRICKIN HATE getting the "Out-of-Range" message. Just move me INTO range!

Those are my main complaints about the game. I'm no fan of the cut scenes, but THAT I can deal with.
    all i have to say is learn to play. that whole click to move thing is so outdated and not anyway someone should play. clicking to move just says the game is made for nubs and is underdeveloped. and move yourself into range.. why should it move you into range if you arent capable at doing it yourself? i played a thief all beta and had no issues staying on my target, learn your abilities and suck it up.
    Last edited by Raww; 01-05-2012 at 20:21.

all i have to say is learn to play. that whole click to move thing is so outdated and not anyway someone should play. clicking to move just says the game is made for nubs and is underdeveloped. and move yourself into range.. why should it move you into range if you arent capable at doing it yourself? i played a thief all beta and had no issues staying on my target, learn your abilities and suck it up.
    All I have to say is goodie for you. Just because you are experienced and prefer to play this way doesn't mean you should knock others for liking another play style. The word noob pretty much applies to all of us at this moment seeing as we are all playing this particular game for the first time. Learn some manners and suck it up.

Now for something more constructive to the conversation...

Having read through the entire thread I can see good arguments on both sides of many of the complaints. I knew going in that this game was going to be different, but on a scale of GW1 to WoW I really was hoping they would have stayed a bit closer to GW1. This game is not so much an extension of what we all loved in GW1, as it is a completely different type of game, and it is much more like WoW than some of us would like.

For me this is going to be a very steep learning curve. I have been playing GW1 since the first betas, and my Guild turned 7 back in Feb, but I have never played a pure MMO before, and this lack of experience is going to be tough for me. I do prefer some of the features the original poster misses. I am willing to learn new ways, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have some of the feel of the original. The comparison to fps games keeps coming up and is unfair because this is not a fps. This is a pure MMO, which is something the developers always liked to point out GW wasn't. Not being a traditional MMO was a selling point of GW. That is over.

The arguments in this thread sound very much like the debates my oldest son and I have had about GW vs WoW over the years. The hardcore gamers are going to prefer the way GW2 is going, but the more casual gamers are going to miss the easier interaction that GW1 has. I'm going to sit on the fence for right now and not make my mind up until I spend more time in game relearning everything I thought I knew, tough as that may be for an old dog like myself.

I am also on the fence about the micro transaction model. I understand it from a business perspective for Anet, but I have always hated the "nickel and dime them to death" feeling of this type of model.