PC Gaming News
Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate gw2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Challenge accepted:

1) Emphasis on player skill rather than time played
    2) Flexible professions rather than being tied to roles
    3) Competitive PvP you can join in right away
    4) A system that minimizes player griefing (kill stealing etc)
    5) High replay value by keeping early areas challenging, and providing stuff you can do for completeness
    6) Mesmer, the only profession I know that specializes on shutdown (thief too maybe)
    7) Engaging combat, with dodging!
    8) Map travel
    1) Uhm. No.
    2) But wasn't the "challenge" to list things that are similar to GW1?
    3) Yeah ok
    4) lol what. One type of kill stealing replaced with another type. Also, "normal" kill stealing usually is by accident, not indended as griefing.
    5) Early areas are not challenging in the least.
    6) Ok.
    7) Combat is even more spammy than in GW1 and there is no clear indicators of when to dodge (in PvE)
    8) Yeah but it's not for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Requiem View Post
    9) Lore
    10) Common skill names
    11) Music by Jeremy Soule
    12) Both made by Arena Net using the same engine. (GW2 uses a modified GW1 engine)
    13) Art
    14) Team based dungeon instances
    15) Common weapon skins/designs
    16) Skill balancing by Izzy
    17) Payment model
    18) Weapon swapping
    9) You nuts lol. If they had kept building on the mursaat, or anything from non-EotN GW1, I would have agreed with you. But they didn't.
    10) lol
    11) Yeah! The music is awesome in both games
    12) lol...
    13) The artstyle is quite different, I find. The thing they do have in common is the realism
    14) Ok
    15) Not that I saw but ok.
    16)
    17) The payment model is not the same at all. In GW1, you had: pay once, play forever. In GW2, you have: pay once for the game, and we sell high-powered items and gold for RL cash.
    18) But weapon swapping doesn't work the same in GW1 and GW2 at all...

19) Large number of viable builds
    20) Easy to get max equipment, and more elite equipment that differs in look
    21) Fun professions like ritualist, engineer, guardian
    22) New original races like charr (especially playable ones)
    23) Interesting lore tied to races like charr being atheists and tech-oriented
    19) I'd say that the number of viable builds in GW2 is smaller than in GW1.
    20) Ok
    21) There are no ritualists in GW2... If you mean that both games have fun professions then lol, so does a lot of games
    22) Charr is the only originalish race in GW (1/2) and they were not playable in GW1
    23) That is new to GW2, it wasn't in GW1.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
    24) No rolling for loot after a fight.
    24) True and I really like it.

I honestly do not get the hate for having the option of automatically moving you into range. I simply do not see this as a testament of skill that should decide if a player should win or lose. It's just a number of actions that exist to prepare you for having fun, rather than being fun itself - you'll never find me yelling in local chat, celebrating how I got into range: "I AM IN RANGE!!! DUDE, I. AM. IN. RANGE!!!!"

I will be yelling and celebrating a nice dodge or a nice use of one of my skills - but getting in range?
    Automate that ****!

(Also yes to pretty much everything else in the OP. This thread feel like arguing against a washing machine, because doing the laundry by hand gives you a more hands-on experience.)

EDIT:
    Before somebody points out that the example is bad, I am fully aware of it. The idea behind the example was point out that sometimes automating certain actions really isn't bad. ^^
    Last edited by upier; 07-05-2012 at 12:01.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    17) The payment model is not the same at all. In GW1, you had: pay once, play forever. In GW2, you have: pay once for the game, and we sell high-powered items and gold for RL cash.
    Not a fan of the boosts either but calling them high powered seems a bit melodramatic (assuming youre talking about those).

Quote Originally Posted by upier View Post
    (Also yes to pretty much everything else in the OP. This thread feel like arguing against a washing machine, because doing the laundry by hand gives you a more hands-on experience.)

Lol yes I aways have the same reaction when people laud the absence of autoattack in SWTOR.
    Last edited by Shrandar; 07-05-2012 at 11:54.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand
    24) No rolling for loot after a fight.
    24) True and I really like it.
    That fact alone does make a lot of other issues very minor in my eyes...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    (drama drama)
    Yeah, whatever. If you're not willing to have a serious discussion, then don't wonder when I won't answer.

Despite your dismissal, the list remains valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    That fact alone does make a lot of other issues very minor in my eyes...
    The fact that GW2 is a major step forward compared to all MMORPGs I know of makes all issues minor. They should still fix as many issues as they can, of course, but I've spent on CE knowing there is nothing MMORPG other than GW2 that remotely interests me.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by upier View Post
    I honestly do not get the hate for having the option of automatically moving you into range. I simply do not see this as a testament of skill that should decide if a player should win or lose. It's just a number of actions that exist to prepare you for having fun, rather than being fun itself - you'll never find me yelling in local chat, celebrating how I got into range: "I AM IN RANGE!!! DUDE, I. AM. IN. RANGE!!!!"

I will be yelling and celebrating a nice dodge or a nice use of one of my skills - but getting in range?
    Automate that ****!
    MMO's are the only type of game that moves your character automatically. Shooters don't, DOTA doesn't, strategy games don't, most offline rpg's don't either and often you control 6 characters compared to a mere one. One of the bad things in mmo's is handholding, and assuring people that when they **** up, it's not their fault. Getting rid of automove is part of that. I don't want the game to play my character.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    What MMOs even move you in range, other than GW 1?

Anyway, it's not a good idea because it could run you off a cliff or something and it would just feel weird. The whole point of the combat changes in GW 2 is that you're supposed to be more active. It moving you into range kind of defeats the purpose.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    The fact that GW2 is a major step forward compared to all MMORPGs I know of makes all issues minor. They should still fix as many issues as they can, of course, but I've spent on CE knowing there is nothing MMORPG other than GW2 that remotely interests me.
    Major step, I can't say anything about that, as the only MMO I've played was Aion. Yes, GW2 does do a few things different, making it more a mix of GW1 and a traditional MMO (the gathering from a MMO, the limit on skills from GW1, the open world from a MMO, the map travel from GW1). And some things are just a brilliant change from the classic, such as the way drops and gathering works. But the quest-system, while a lot better than a traditional game, I wouldn't call a major step. But total picture is better than the individual pieces added together. (ok, I wrangled that saying a bit, but you do get my meaning, I hope!)

The reason why I bought GW2 is because, yes, I do like the limited skill use of GW1 and GW2 has that as well. And yes, I do like the fact that there are no more quest givers in the traditional sense (no running back and forth for quests). And yes, I do like the fact that you can really help complete strangers without hindering their (or your) progress. And yes, I do like the fact that you can still (kind of) map everywhere (as long as you've been there).

But if they would add those waypoints to Aion, I probably wouldn't like it more. Nor would I like it more if they added that gathering and drop system that GW2 will have. But add those two together (and remove the PvP from the PvE areas), and Aion suddenly becomes a lot more interresting.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Yeah, I agree with Lady on the quest system. It's an improvement, but like people have said a few times before, the heart system isn't exactly as different from the "Go kill X" / "Go get X" formula as I expected. Now it's "Kill X or pick up some stuff while you're here." It's better and, given ANet's track record, I'm willing to say GW 2 overall is MUCH better than any other MMO I've played (at least in the limited experience I had with it), but the quest system doesn't really meet my expectations.

Anyway, the abolition of the trinity is wonderful.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    1) Uhm. No.
    2) But wasn't the "challenge" to list things that are similar to GW1?

5) Early areas are not challenging in the least.

7) Combat is even more spammy than in GW1 and there is no clear indicators of when to dodge (in PvE)
    8) Yeah but it's not for free.
    1) Go check Genip's pvp videos on youtube.
    2) GW1 only really had flexibility in the fact you could have a secondary, so yeah, I don't believe GW1 is as flexible as GW2 in terms of professions.
    5) Don't think early areas are supposed to be... even with downscaling or whatever, an early area isn't going to require as much thought as a dungeon in explorer mode. Still, it is more challenging than if downscaling did not exist - you won't be able to just stomp through it with eyes closed.
    7) Spammy if you're bad, sure. Also, there are indicators for dodging, assuming the enemy is not covered in graphical effects (which is an issue which is being looked into, afaik). I found that not rolling my face across the keyboard and timing my attacks/spells/whatever generally got me further.
    8) But it costs so little it's not even an issue. It's free within cities.

9) You nuts lol. If they had kept building on the mursaat, or anything from non-EotN GW1, I would have agreed with you. But they didn't.

13) The artstyle is quite different, I find. The thing they do have in common is the realism

15) Not that I saw but ok.
    16)
    18) But weapon swapping doesn't work the same in GW1 and GW2 at all...
    9) But they already dealt with the Mursaat with the whole White Mantle getting owned by the Queen of Kryta and all her little helpers (War in Kryta). The lineage from that Queen is present in GW2's Kryta. Besides, the Prophecies story sucked, so it's just as well they plumped it up some.

11) I don't find it different. The engine is actually 3D, and that allows for a different sort of detail, but I still recognise the style as the work of the ArenaNet art team. In the artbooks, one can notice a progression for the better between GW1 books and GW2 books. The sense of scale becomes much bigger in the GW2 artbook, while the GW1 artbooks focused more often on character design. Yeah, the environments became like characters. Style and technique are pretty much the same, or often better.

15) Probably only for HoM rewards (Fellblade, FDS etc), but I imagine some more tributes will be made to the old weapons of GW1.

16) Hey now, I think Lindsey "I don't know how play mesmer" did far more damage than Izzy "I hate monks" ever did.

17) As much as I hate the cash shop, I don't see any high powered items in there. Just stuff that was included after a night of really, REALLY heavy drinking.

18) Yeah, it's more mandatory now, people will have to learn to use it. Yes, less slots for swapping, but you will likely find a lot of people having one defensive set, and one efficiency/damage set. Unless you're an ele/engineer, then you have other stuff to swap.

19) I'd say that the number of viable builds in GW2 is smaller than in GW1.

23) That is new to GW2, it wasn't in GW1.
    19) Well, there are less skills overall. Still, I think of GW1 'viable' builds and I just think of the meta builds, which probably works out around the same number.

23) The Charr were running around chasing monsters and trying to make them Gods. After their run in with the Destroyers in Assault on the Stronghold, which ended badly, Pyre tells the remaining Charr that there are no gods (for the Charr) and to spread the word. The Shaman caste falls from that point on, until it is eliminated, resulting in the atheistic Charr society of GW2.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728