PC Gaming News
    GWOnline.Net Member

Things I think should be changed in GW2 before release

After finally getting to play in a beta, I got to see firsthand all the wonderful things that I had been reading about. Unfortunately I also got to see firsthand some things which made me wonder if they were really trying to fix everything that is wrong with MMOs or just paying lip service. Also, if things worked great in GW, why the rush to change it? Here's my list of things I really didn't like in case some dev is watching.

1. Purchasing bag slots with real world money only got them for one character, but bank storage was account wide. Bag slots should be account wide, not just per toon. As a matter of fact, I think all purchases should be account wide with the exception of single use items. Costumes and dyes included. The current system could nickle and dime me to death (or more likely $5 and $10 me to death), which just means I am that much less likely to use it AT ALL except for account wide purchases.

2. If I'm an armorsmith, I should be able to repair armor that is damaged. And I should be able to do this in the field. I don't care if it still costs me money to do it, I should be able to do it. I pretty much dislike the idea of there being a monetary cost associated with any death anyway.

3. It costs to learn adpet, master, and grandmaster traits. Why? Why couldn't this just be a part of the normal progression?

4. Karma and XP rewards seem a little low for events. Not to mention money seems a little slow to come by, especially when the game seems to find little ways to suck it from you for every thing (e.g. fast travel, armor repairs, crafting tools, harvesting tools, etc). Granted, I only was able to play my toon up to level 20 over the weekend, and it could improve a lot at higher levels and become more of a non-issue. But early on money was really, really tight. I'd also like the option to get an item reward of my choice every time I beat one of those events that pop up periodically. That addition alone could actually help the money problem some in the early game.

5. Sprint. EVERY class should have access to some way to do it, much like they all have an option for self-heal. GW2 is big and beautiful, and can sometimes be a chore to run around in.

6. The sidekick system underpowers you too much. I didn't spend all that time becoming powerful only to be able to be killed by a few level 3 deer. Once I've fought my way through an area, I would kinda like to not have to worry about dying in it just because I had to run somewhere in it for something. I much prefer the system of monsters which are much weaker than you ignoring you, rather than you constantly having to fight crap. I LIKE being more powerful than monsters on low level areas and being able to kill them at will or avoid them altogether. I'm not saying I want to be level 80 and doing level 80 stuff to level 3 monsters. But being 5 levels above the general area would be good enough. It could still be somewhat dangerous under the right circumstances, but not pose any real threat unless I was just mobbed or not paying attention. Once again. I'm level 20. At no point should I be able to be taken out by some level 3 deer that I accidentally hit with an AOE spell while fighting another monster.

7. It didn't always seem apparent which attributes are important to your weapon choice or class choice and why. That may just be because I really didn't look into it. But is it better to be a thief with good precision on a pistol, or good power? I dunno. Hard to tell at a glance.

8. I want to be able to zoom out further than I was able to in order to see a more tactical view of the area. I just felt like I should have been able to zoom out more.

9. Bank access. Why is this only available in major cities? And the golem banker thing we are supposed to get for pre-purchasing digital deluxe or better? That should be a PERMANENT account addition. Not a one time 5 day only use thing. Even if I had to buy that luxury as an account upgrade, I would pay pretty heftily for it.

10. Transparency and point of view is not always very good, especially when under trees or in buildings. It was VERY hard at times to see where I was or what was happening.

11. Respec-ing traits was too expensive. Not even by a little. It was way overpriced. This type feature was one of the very first things completely cut from Guild Wars 1. Why is paying for trait respec-ing back in GW2? It was dead and should have stayed gone. It's awful. Not a good idea and never was. I should be able to respec AT WILL. ANYWHERE. ANYTIME.

12. All trait slots should be viewable when hovering over them so you can plan out the path you want your toon to take without incurring costs for making a misstep. Why do I have to use some external web based skill/trait calculator thing to accomplish this? If it's that good, put it in the game!

13. If I don't need crafting tools to craft, why then, should I need harvesting tools to harvest materials? Either include both, or don't include either. I vote for including neither. It's one of those holdover mechanics that has sucked to be in every MMO ever, so why is GW2 clinging to it? Let it go.

14. Why am I paying to use fast travel again? This is stupid. That's one of the things I loved about GW. I could go anywhere, anytime, at no cost. Speaking of, there were a few times I felt like there were not always enough fast travel/res points. If I die, I shouldn't have to run for 2 minutes to get back to where I was.

15. Why can't mini's do something useful for once? Like take my trash drops and sell them for me as in SWTOR? Or how's about stopping trash drops to begin with? Why can't you just only drop stuff that can be used for something or plain old money? I don't need a backpack full of 2 copper oozes, fangs, eggs, or whatever. Just don't drop it. I'd rather drops be more rare than that if they result in some crafting material or an item. Why does every MMO insist on loading down your inventory with tons of cheap useless trash which you have to cart in to sell? If it is useless to you, why does trader Joe always want to buy that crap? This hurts my inventory, hurts my enjoyment, and makes me routinely have to remove myself from playing and having fun to sell crap.

16. Boss fights are so chaotic you can't see what the boss is doing or when. In an active battle system like GW2 has, that's not good at all. Bosses need to be more identifiable during those fights.

17. The monster respawn rate is a little too high. If you're trying to clear out an area by yourself to harvest materials for instance, you can't often do that because the mobs respawn too quickly.

18. Why can I only learn 2 crafting skills at a time? This is another one of those bad idea holdovers from other MMOs which just needs to go. GW2 could be different in allowing you to retain all craft skills without having to switch. You know you're gonna eventually master every craft on one toon anyway, so why make it harder on us to do that by requiring us to swap out craft trades?

19. Things I craft should be useful to me or other people at the level for which they were crafted. Low level items should be useful to low level people. They should be a good and useful, if not superior, option to finding your gear. It should be beneficial for me to craft a set of armor or a weapon in that I want to use it because it is better than the stuff you find. Crafting should not just be a way to level up itself so eventually I can make the only stuff that really matters at the highest level. If you're gonna do that, why not just skip all the BS buildup and have everyone only be able to craft the highest level stuff? Especially if that's all anyone is ever going to want to use.

20. There needs to be a way to re-spec trait builds in the field. There shouldn't be a cost associated with it. Just a nice long cooldown, so you couldn't just change things in the middle of a fight. It'd be cool to be able to fight my way into a dungeon, then switch traits, and trap or sneak my way out or something. Don't make me go back to town to do stuff like this (especially at a huge cost).

21. If you don't have a party for a dungeon, you should have the option to queue for one in a random group. I didn't see that as an option with the beta dungeons. You had to have a party already made to go in. I still had to stand around going LFG for dungeon. Not fun. I thought you guys had killed that.

22. Voicing every interaction is awesome. When I encountered that in SWTOR I was blown away by how immersive and desirable it was to actually hear all the dialogue instead of having to read it. That really raised the bar for interactions. All MMOs are going to need to work towards doing this.

23. AFK people should be identifiable. I didn't like picking up downed players only to have them die again because they were AFK and I couldn't tell.

24. The mini map should show more stuff, and we should be able to select what it shows. Seeing mob locations could be nice under the right circumstances, because there were many times I thought I was attacking one monster only to be swarmed by 3 others I had no idea were nearby. I don't know if they popped up, were obscured, or what. Partly because the camera angles were not always good, partly because of obscuring terrain, and partly because I couldn't zoom out far enough to get a good overview of the field of play.

25. As a rule of thumb, unless something works great in another MMO, it shouldn't be copied by GW2. Don't copy the broken or annoying systems (limiting crafting trades, pay to travel, crappy loot drops, making you use degradable tools to harvest, crafting items that are useless to you by the time you have become skillful enough to craft them, etc). Don't try to reintroduce systems which were hated in GW1 (costs associated with changing traits).

In the end, as much as I look like I'm just *****ing and complaining, I'm really far more impressed with what I saw that was great than disappointed by what I saw that I thought didn't work. I can't wait for this game to release, and would be very happy if it came out right now with everything the way it was this weekend. It works well enough that I could deal with the bugs and annoying things until they got fixed. And as good as the game is overall, even if they never fixed any of it, I'd still play. I just wanted to give my $0.02. If anyone else reading this feels the same, let the powers that be know. Maybe if enough of us squeek, we'll get some grease.

I agree with most except the sidekicking complaint. It's a mechanic designed so you can play together with a new player. Besides, exp required doesn't go up fast, so even a lvl 3 deer will give meaningful exp if you're sidekicked. This means that playing together with low level friends doesn't hurt either of you. It's a good system, let it stay.

About trash drops, useless items for harvesting, char bound shop items, I agree more or less. Traits should be somewhat permanent to make every character unique, as long as the system remains flexible and does not promote cookie cutter. You didn't understand that precision/power is a choice you make. Do you like consistent solid numbers or do you like high crits. These two work towards different goals so you could have a crit pistol or a high damage pistol. Do you want damaging hexes or long lasting hexes. Choices :)

Travel should be free => no brainer. Sprint would be nice if endurance linked

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    About trash drops, useless items for harvesting, char bound shop items, I agree more or less. Traits should be somewhat permanent to make every character unique, as long as the system remains flexible and does not promote cookie cutter. You didn't understand that precision/power is a choice you make. Do you like consistent solid numbers or do you like high crits. These two work towards different goals so you could have a crit pistol or a high damage pistol. Do you want damaging hexes or long lasting hexes. Choices :)

yes thats how I understand te traits as well, choices of how you want to play, not perfect fit for a certain class like in other MMO's. I must admit I was asking myself the same question but that was conditioning that I need to get rid of :).

The litmus test for traits, is when it's entirely possible to play all content unspecced. When this is true, all else follows, because even if you're "axe specced", but axe isn't the best weapon for the job, it's no problem to switch to a weapon you don't have traits for.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    You have to remember, that you can freely change your major traits (out of combat) in the slots you have open in your current build. The minor traits don't specialize in weapons, so any specialization you can switch off.

Quote Originally Posted by RealMehtis View Post
    You have to remember, that you can freely change your major traits (out of combat) in the slots you have open in your current build. The minor traits don't specialize in weapons, so any specialization you can switch off.
    I may add that the trait points themselves focus on playstyle and not so much on power. Do you like high damage or many crits? Do you like high health or high armor? Do you like long buffs or strong debuffs? These are choices made through trait points and gear. Even if you change your skills, trait points accomodate to your personal playstyle and most of these choices balance each other out in numbers. If you like a critting debuffer with high armor, you're just as strong as someone who has high damage, is buffed with high health. Both play differently, independent of skills slotted.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I agree with a lot of your points, especially 4, 5, 6, and 7.

A Sprint skill that's only using outside of combat would be pretty handy. There are NPCs that grant Swiftness in the cities, if you didn't know :)