PC Gaming News
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    I am very late to this thread. But I am not too worried about the heart quests, solo personal story quests, and world events. None of those has anything to do with the game play itself. They are just quest delivery methods.

What I do worry about is the AI. I only played in the beginners areas, but it seems the mobs do nothing but zerg you. They don't dodge. They don't cripple or knock down. But once again is the beginning areas.

Like the OP said the party game play was what separated GW1 from other MMORPGs. With party game play there were cooperation and synergy. That seems to have been taken away in GW2 with a lack of partying. In the beginning areas, it seems we have humans zerging and AI zerging. There were a lot of players but teamwork was minimal.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 11-08-2012 at 03:35.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I noted a number of AI moves even in early areas. One type of foe used a blocking stance that bounced my ranged attacks back at me. Another charged at me and I could move out while it was preparing to charge to avoid the KD. Others yet stealthed or went underground.

I have to wonder why I am the only one to report those. Oh yeah, that's probably because I am a psychologist and I work on AI in my own game. I have a keen eye for those things.

Now I'll admit that for the most part, you can safely ignore all that and hardly notice. These AI behaviors are balanced in early areas so if you don't react properly to them, you will take a bit more damage and be slowed down a bit at killing them, but you should be able to kill them pretty quick regardless just spamming.

I mean, if they charge, you can take the blow, get up, and continue fighting, or you can move out a bit and keep attacking for that extra 2-3 seconds you would have wasted getting up. Or if they block, you can keep attacking with ranged attacks and have 1-2 of your attacks do no damage to it and bounce back in your face to damage you, or you can stop attacking and take no damage and let your skills recharge. I managed to interrupt on purpose a DoT AoE skill. That means I take less damage during the fight, and possibly am not forced to move out of the AoE.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I noted a number of AI moves even in early areas. One type of foe used a blocking stance that bounced my ranged attacks back at me. Another charged at me and I could move out while it was preparing to charge to avoid the KD. Others yet stealthed or went underground.

I have to wonder why I am the only one to report those. Oh yeah, that's probably because I am a psychologist and I work on AI in my own game. I have a keen eye for those things.

Now I'll admit that for the most part, you can safely ignore all that and hardly notice. These AI behaviors are balanced in early areas so if you don't react properly to them, you will take a bit more damage and be slowed down a bit at killing them, but you should be able to kill them pretty quick regardless just spamming.

I mean, if they charge, you can take the blow, get up, and continue fighting, or you can move out a bit and keep attacking for that extra 2-3 seconds you would have wasted getting up. Or if they block, you can keep attacking with ranged attacks and have 1-2 of your attacks do no damage to it and bounce back in your face to damage you, or you can stop attacking and take no damage and let your skills recharge. I managed to interrupt on purpose a DoT AoE skill. That means I take less damage during the fight, and possibly am not forced to move out of the AoE.
    It might have been the different starting areas. I was playing an Asura mostly and foes there were very straight forward.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Humans meet centaurs pretty early on (in fact that's the first type of foe they meet.) They typically attack in pairs at first. One ranged and one melee that tries to knock you down. Later they become more devious - the ones in the level 11 to 14 area will have ranged centaurs that apply conditions (or was it weakness to conditions, I forget) and melee guys that try to keep you from the ranged foe by keeping you on the ground. For a melee fighter that means you'll need to pay attention or die often. (helps to bring anti-knockdown stances or just beat them to the punch and knock them down first.)

Moving out of the way is also a good idea but not always possible if you're surrounded.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    It might have been the different starting areas. I was playing an Asura mostly and foes there were very straight forward.
    I played all areas except sylvari...

Worms going underground were in human or norn areas, I forget, maybe both. Those are quite common. I saw some foes using stealth, I think that was norn areas. Shield foes were ghosts, so charr areas. The AoE I interrupted was also charr area. The charge was centaur so human area, but I saw other races do it possibly in other areas, that ability is also fairly common.

Honestly, I don't remember what foes did in asura areas, and I have not played the sylvari areas either.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
    (...)
    Cool stuff.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Nah, what I was trying to say is that you need to be more aware of your surroundings in the human starter area if you're a melee class than if you start in one of the other zones. At least that was my impression, having tried all the starting positions.

Guess I phrased it badly, but I made that post at 7am, my time. That is, about 2 hours after the last stress test and a night without sleep.

[edit, AM in the morning? WTF brain? - my bad, used to normal 24 hour days, not strange 12 hour ones.]

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    just stick with the 24H value, it's easier to understand anyway and less likely to misunderstand
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    perfect world lets you play a panda.....
    Oh. I see. That makes me smile Blizzard really can't come up with anything on their own nowadays!

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    They've come up with several successful methods to lose subscribers.

OHHH I WENT THERE
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    They've come up with several successful methods to lose subscribers.

OHHH I WENT THERE
    No shame there - amen.