PC Gaming News
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Your trolling fails, jam

Dynamic refers to objects in motion, which can just as easily happen with scripts. As opposed to other MMORPGs where things literally stay where they spawn.

Also your WoW counterexample is laughable, because (1) it's a scripted event, and (2) the only thing that makes it appear random is its low frequency, and there are low frequency events in GW2 except we haven't played it enough to find them.

As for other conventions needing to be thrown away, perhaps GW3. Remember, change too much and people won't even give it a try. I think that despite GW1's success, the fact it changed so much might have lowered its sales.
    It's not trolling. You know very well that they are static because they are scripted; if not, every quest ever that involves more than talking to NPCs is dynamic because there might be enemies to kill and they are moving.

Yes, the WoW example is laughable, which is the point: to call GW2 events "dynamic" is laughable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Varealkin View Post
    I'm not sure how Stitches in Wow, (that's the cyborg thingy jam was referring to, which by the way, he's actually just undead) can be considered dynamic. It's just a quest line. Once you've done all the right quests you get a quest to kill stitches. It is a group quest but none the less, not dynamic. And yes he does randomly appear and walk down the road but it's very rarely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Stitches!! THANK YOU! I had completely forgotten the name, it was very annoying.

Anyway, indeed, it can't be considered dynamic, but neither can most GW2 events. The only "dynamic" thing about them is that they can cause another event to happen, but that is just saying that you can go both up and down a quest chain. There's still a chain, it's still static, not dynamic.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    they are static because they are scripted; if not, every quest ever that involves more than talking to NPCs is dynamic because there might be enemies to kill and they are moving.
    Again, redefining definitions to win arguments, is not a strategy I support.

In this context, dynamic is used specifically to mention the movement that happens, monsters come in, they leave or retreat if defeated, they stay and need to be pushed out if they win, they might even continue and invade further in, or you might push further into their territory. All of this counts as dynamic even if scripted.

The word you are looking for is "non-random". Yes, it's not random, meaning that the 10th invasion will be the same as the 1st. But it's still dynamic, because they still will actually move into the area and push and get pushed back and all that. I love it, and I don't mind that it's scripted.

Monsters moving around one spot (e.g. WoW mobs standing in the field waiting for you) doesn't count, because they are essentially static with a bit of jitter. Dynamic events actually involve the world changing, so that if you go to location X at time T1 or T2, it might be a quite different world. In one case, it might be over-run with centaur, in the other it might be a friendly settlement. The static WoW mobs by comparison, you always know what you will find at location X.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Again, redefining definitions to win arguments, is not a strategy I support.

In this context, dynamic is used specifically to mention the movement that happens, monsters come in, they leave or retreat if defeated, they stay and need to be pushed out if they win, they might even continue and invade further in, or you might push further into their territory. All of this counts as dynamic even if scripted.

The word you are looking for is "non-random". Yes, it's not random, meaning that the 10th invasion will be the same as the 1st. But it's still dynamic, because they still will actually move into the area and push and get pushed back and all that. I love it, and I don't mind that it's scripted.

Monsters moving around one spot (e.g. WoW mobs standing in the field waiting for you) doesn't count, because they are essentially static with a bit of jitter. Dynamic events actually involve the world changing, so that if you go to location X at time T1 or T2, it might be a quite different world. In one case, it might be over-run with centaur, in the other it might be a friendly settlement. The static WoW mobs by comparison, you always know what you will find at location X.
    And in that case there is nothing new about it, since that exists in other MMOs. It's exactly as "dynamic" as Stitches. Thank you for playing.

I dunno man, they said world-changing events would happen but I played in both BWEs and it didn't. What happened was that sometimes you failed an event and then you did it again and then you succeeded and could do the next one. Just like an old school quest chain.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Stitches.
    lol troll

Stitches is one guy, spawning rarely due to a quest chain, and walking a straight line. From what I played of WoW (including Cataclysm), stuff like that is very rare indeed.

Compare that to dynamic events, where a bunch of those centaurs (or whatever) attack outposts on a regular basis, and can take over those and actually change which NPCs and waypoints you can use.

Ok, not exactly world-changing yet, but comparing that to WoW saying it's the same makes me want to punch kittens so dumb the comparison is.

Yes, some of the building blocks are the same. But the end product is very different.
    == Alaris & clone ==

What ANet did fits into my definition of revolutionary, so I'll keep calling it that.

Rift did the random version of what ANet did, which I thought was pretty cool, but unlike dynamic events, the invasions were not properly integrated into the game. What ended up happening is that people apparently largely bypassed the invasions, doing quests instead, because those rewarded better or were more closely tied to progression or some such nonsense.
    When I played RIFT most folks on the map gathered and formed impromptu raids during the full blown invasions. The common rifts would be bypassed by some but I would constantly come across small groups or single players closing them. I would imagine many can get bored with them over time and start avoiding them... but the same can be said of the DEs. Even in the BWE I was already skipping them since they were getting stale after they kept popping up constantly. BTW, i hope they lower the frequency for some as it took away from it to have them occurring everytime I went through the area.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, I didn't play Rift, so it's hearsay. Sounds like they had a good idea with that though, it got me paying attention.
    == Alaris & clone ==

lol troll

Stitches is one guy, spawning rarely due to a quest chain, and walking a straight line. From what I played of WoW (including Cataclysm), stuff like that is very rare indeed.

Compare that to dynamic events, where a bunch of those centaurs (or whatever) attack outposts on a regular basis, and can take over those and actually change which NPCs and waypoints you can use.

Ok, not exactly world-changing yet, but comparing that to WoW saying it's the same makes me want to punch kittens so dumb the comparison is.

Yes, some of the building blocks are the same. But the end product is very different.
    it fits your definition. You can change it if you want.

As I said, I didn't see much of centaurs capturing waypoints (perhaps related to that I never use them since they cost money). At most, some enemy prevented me from doing some other event. Sure, it's only two weekends of playtime, but still. The system is very limited, and it would not have been that costly to do it "right".

As it is, no, the end product is really not that different. Or, well yes, it is, but not because of this part.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Agreed.

Stitches is a rare example of something dynamic in a sea of otherwise very static stuff.

I have been unable to use a waypoint to return to the place I got killed by centaurs while trying to defend the place. I had to spawn a bit away (not too far) and walk back into the fight. A few times. I was not playing really well ;)

The point is, I was in such a dynamic event (more than once, actually), and it felt nothing like anything I had experience with in WoW.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Agreed.

Stitches is a rare example of something dynamic in a sea of otherwise very static stuff.

I have been unable to use a waypoint to return to the place I got killed by centaurs while trying to defend the place. I had to spawn a bit away (not too far) and walk back into the fight. A few times. I was not playing really well ;)

The point is, I was in such a dynamic event (more than once, actually), and it felt nothing like anything I had experience with in WoW.
    Not yet, but what will it feel like three years from now?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Not yet, but what will it feel like three years from now?
    Yeah. Hopefully they'll keep adding in stuff to keep it fun.

Anything can get repetitive if you do it too often.
    == Alaris & clone ==