PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    regardless of aim, keyboard+mouse is miles faster then any console, it really doesn't matter how good a person is with a gamepad the mouse alone is superior in every way.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

I'd like to ask everyone to skip the obligatory "mouse+keyboard is better" discussion, if only this once. It was old, tired and unoriginal a decade ago; at this point in time, it is most similar to the dust left behind by bones in millennia-old tumuli. Nobody is discussing that mice remain the device with the higher skill ceiling. This is not about this; playing sometimes with a gamepad is a personal choice based on comfort and ergonomics. If you find the thought of doing so entirely abhorrent, this thread is in all likeliness not meant for you.

If you would need further justification (for whatever reason), I have an arm injury that causes me moderate discomfort to slight pain when using mice with my right hand for extended periods of time. At work I use a trackball left-handed, but for MMOs combining this with the keyboard is not the most comfortable of approaches. A gamepad is a quite less stressful alternative for me.

So, anyone has anything to add regarding the actual topic subject? I was hoping to see some contributions, suggestions, etc. from people, or even full gamepad mappings. If nothing else, what other actions do you think should be bound to button combinations?

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by WeltallZero View Post
    I'd like to ask everyone to skip the obligatory "mouse+keyboard is better" discussion, if only this once. It was old, tired and unoriginal a decade ago; at this point in time, it is most similar to the dust left behind by bones in millennia-old tumuli. Nobody is discussing that mice remain the device with the higher skill ceiling. This is not about this; playing sometimes with a gamepad is a personal choice based on comfort and ergonomics. If you find the thought of doing so entirely abhorrent, this thread is in all likeliness not meant for you.

If you would need further justification (for whatever reason), I have an arm injury that causes me moderate discomfort to slight pain when using mice with my right hand for extended periods of time. At work I use a trackball left-handed, but for MMOs combining this with the keyboard is not the most comfortable of approaches. A gamepad is a quite less stressful alternative for me.

So, anyone has anything to add regarding the actual topic subject? I was hoping to see some contributions, suggestions, etc. from people, or even full gamepad mappings. If nothing else, what other actions do you think should be bound to button combinations?
    Well for starters having a keyboard will be massively helpful since this will give you something to map some non combat commands to, also turning on auto loot will help. Now that the number of binds is reduced... also as I said earlier typing, forming parties etc

You will still need to map turning + movement 10 skills, up to 4 profession skills, jump, resurrect/loot/talk/interact, sheath weapon and swap weapon at bare minimum. Thats 18 binds. I suppose sheath weapon is not essential and some professions don't use all of the profession mechanics/weapon swap so you have the option to reduce binds there. You could even have the game auto target AoEs for you to reduce control further if you wanted.
    Last edited by Tyris Requiem; 08-05-2012 at 22:07.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by WeltallZero View Post
    playing sometimes with a gamepad is a personal choice based on comfort and ergonomics.
    You had me at personal choice. If you can play GW2 one-handed so you can eat Cheetos (as I did), then gamepad will work just fine. Precision is not really needed in GW2 anyway.

And I for one thing that people should be able to play as they wish.

As for your injury, when I played D2 a lot, I used an arm brace like this to reduce arm pain. Maybe it could help you, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Requiem View Post
    I suppose sheath weapon is not essential
    I never used sheathing. It auto-sheathes intelligently anyway.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post

I never used sheathing. It auto-sheathes intelligently anyway.
    Sheathing isn't the point. It's un-sheathing to threaten uppity shopkeepers that matters

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    hmm, I have an xbox 360 controller hooked up to my pc usually. I didn't consider using it in GW2, but it might be fun. I'll give it a shot next beta weekend and see how I like it :)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Maybe I'll dust off my X36.

== Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    As for your injury, when I played D2 a lot, I used an arm brace like this to reduce arm pain. Maybe it could help you, I don't know.
    Thanks for the thought; I actually use something a few of the (several) doctors recommended me, a sort of elastic band around the upper forearm (almost elbow). It does work in relieving the tension when I absolutely can't avoid straining it. Of course, I'd rather avoid stress altogether, which I actually can mostly do in my work life (fortunately!), so I just look to do the same regarding gaming. :) For the record, even using a gamepad for extended time gives me some discomfort (especially if holding buttons, damn you Dark Souls run button >_>), but nowhere near as bad and fast as using a mouse right-handed.

Sheathing is completely cosmetic but the unused button combination was standing there, doing nothing and looking bored, so I gave it a purpose in life. It seemed to appreciate it (as far as button combinations can be expressive, which is not much). Anyone has any other functions we could give the other poor, unemployed combinations?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    There are two games that ever gave me pain in the hand like this. Diablo 2. And Diablo 3.
    == Alaris & clone ==

My injury is actually from push-ups. But enough of that. Joypad! Buttons! Commands! Go!