Thread: magic find

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    The Gem Store item gives you +50% for 1 hour
    The guild influence gives you +10% for 3 days for just 200 Influence ... that's quite a lot
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

+50% on 0.00000000001% for Mini Polar Bear is?

Is that a +% boost on your current Magic Find stat, or actually increasing your Magic Find by +50%? Because if the former, it still depends on you having the +MF gear in order to do anything, and if the latter, it completely obviates said gear (b/c the percentages on the gear are in the 1% range).

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    You have a natural magic find stats, and mf items multiply it afaik
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Art Yi Mor View Post
    Consumables make 'chance' and 'effectiveness' more (As well as other things) and so I see that straight out of the gate on this one Anet will be looking for players to gorge themselves additional items to 'up their game'.

I got al of that from the Cider Apple thing from djacob's link.

I could very well be wrong, just seems like that's the move.

-Art

PS: The only 'consumables' I've used have been the candy canes from Wintersfest and even at that I try to keep it for worst case scenarios. I've never picked up that type of play - might have to now.
    Eh maybe, but that item is +2% magic find and I highly doubt it stacks. So I'm guessing it'll be hard to notice a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    The Gem Store item gives you +50% for 1 hour
    The guild influence gives you +10% for 3 days for just 200 Influence ... that's quite a lot
    Oh yeah, that is a lot of magic find, wonder what activities people would set up for before buying the +50%. I forgot about that buff, seems a tad cruel to me, but if it decreases the costs of high end gear (the more supply there is, the cheaper people will end up selling in the long run) then I won't complain... too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyy High View Post
    Is that a +% boost on your current Magic Find stat, or actually increasing your Magic Find by +50%? Because if the former, it still depends on you having the +MF gear in order to do anything, and if the latter, it completely obviates said gear (b/c the percentages on the gear are in the 1% range).
    Well, since the magic find on gear is a percent increase (and the only percent that we've seen so far is 1%), I'm not thinking you'll need magic find gear to make use of other magic find buffs. If there are +10% items at level 80, which can be applied to every piece of armor and jewelry, then yeah the magic find gear will be sought after. I have a feeling that there will be a cap on the percent though.

But I do wonder, is a 50% magic find rate how often you'll see good items drop or the increased percent of how often good items drop? In other words, will you see good items drop 50% of the time, or will an item with 1% chance of dropping now have a 1.5% chance of dropping? Something tells me it's the later of the two options, in which case magic find won't be all that OP... but guilds will still want the 10% boost and players will still want the gear. Especially since it seems like the upgrade components can still have other bonuses at the same time.

I was wondering about the math of MF as well, because it's absolutely peanuts compared to what you run in Diablo. Like a MF character in D2 will have +400% chance of MF or whatever, while my GW2 character had +2% MF (I think.)

Also, not even CLOSE to being statistically relevant, when I equipped that 2% MF I got a **** ton of nice near gear dropping. I think that was more random luck than my gear coming in to play. But who knows, maybe 5 or 10% is the "magic" number for GW2.

The way magic find works, is as follows:

Every time you kill a foe, it has, as an example, a 1% chance to drop a magic item.
    With 1% magic find, you will get a 1.01% chance of getting that item, not 2%.
    With 50% magic find, you will get the item 1.5% of the time, not 51%.
    And with 300% magic find, you will get the item 3% of the time, unless there is diminishing returns.

Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    The way magic find works, is as follows:

Every time you kill a foe, it has, as an example, a 1% chance to drop a magic item.
    With 1% magic find, you will get a 1.01% chance of getting that item, not 2%.
    With 50% magic find, you will get the item 1.5% of the time, not 51%.
    And with 300% magic find, you will get the item 3% of the time, unless there is diminishing returns.
    Where did that come from? If that's accurate, MF is not statistically significant even if it's fact; 5% is generally the level of significance used for proving something is better than random chance. You're an idiot if you use MF in GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    Where did that come from? If that's accurate, MF is not statistically significant even if it's fact; 5% is generally the level of significance used for proving something is better than random chance. You're an idiot if you use MF in GW2.
    1/ That's how it works in virtually every other game, such as diablo2 and sacred
    2/ significance has nothing to do with this. I can prove that in 2 ways:
    2.a/ 3 MF runes give you a 6% increase in MF, over time giving 6% more items. So even if your position that statistic significance had any relevance, using MF would be significant.
    2.b/ statistical significance is used to prove an unknown correlation in empirical testing. If repeated empirical testing shows a 5% level of significance, correlation is proven. However in this case proving is not necessary as the conclusion follows directly from the formula. No empirical testing required.
    2.b.I/ empirical testing of the known formula would require significance, in which case a 1% MF would a total drop chance of 1.01 times the standard drop chance. In this case a consistent range of 1.0095 to 1.015 times more magic drops would be significant. By farming the same mob a million times this could very easily be proven, and the increased drops would not be due to random chance.

So don't mix up percentages. In this case we're talking about drop chance, magic find and significance which are all percentages yet mean something different entirely.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    5% is generally the level of significance used for proving something is better than random chance. You're an idiot if you use MF in GW2.
    Hahah yes! A stats joke!

Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    2/ significance has nothing to do with this. I can prove that in 2 ways:
    NOOOO! Me first!

The 5% risk is the risk of false-positive, which is not really a concern here. Magic find probability is low, so we'll need to have a very large sample size to actually test for the effect at a good power. For a 1% base rate and 300% magic find (so 4% magic find rate), we need to test using a 0.01 binomial with a sample that would give us good power to detect a difference with a 0.04 binomial. Alternatively we can plot the number of rare drops per kill as a function of magic find, and get a linear correlation.

Over the total drops combined across players over a weekend, it'd be trivial to find a significant effect.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about