PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: magic find

Quote Originally Posted by Leriel View Post
    Playing through stress test, at some point i noticed a consumable adding +50% magic find for an hour. No idea where it came from, i suspect personal storyline, as i was doing them intensively at that time.

I found three green items during next 20 minutes (green focus and rifle, both with an inscription and green pants), but i did move to queensdale swamps, so not sure if increase in drops wasn't caused by location change.
    Ok, so not a 50/50 chance of finding items then, guess I was wrong. Still sounds pretty good if you got 3 greens in that short amount of time, and I've fought in the swamps before, green items did not drop for me at all. Also, I'm starting to think that the personal storyline has lots of effects that you'd normally find in the cash shop as every time I see such an item the person who got it said they were doing a lot of their story.

I didn't use any +%change items or consume, but i still got 2 greens in my 4 hours play

My own hypothesis is there is a middle ground in the way MF works. 1% is useless in djacob's hypothesis and just plain asinine and/or insulting in harniq's hypothesis. But that actual math doesn't have to be related to 1% at all, since we're talking game mechanics. Maybe every 1% of MF increases your chance of green drops from 1/100000 to 100/100000, and that's the measure of a percent of MF. Who knows?

Edit: Changed the numbers to something a little more random, since I accidentally put it at 1% the first time... which is not what I was trying to get at!
    Last edited by Fluffball; 15-05-2012 at 23:49.

Yeah, that very well may be the case Fluffball, sadly I don't see how to test this out. Assuming that different magic items have different base percentages, depending on the mob type/level and the color/type of the item (shoulder armor having a lower drop percent than chest/leg armor for example). I also don't see myself staying in one zone grinding mobs to see what they drop when I have +0% magic find, +50% magic find, and maybe a +100% magic find if possible.

What do you think Alaris? Is there something I'm missing that will make this more doable?
    Last edited by djacob; 16-05-2012 at 00:04.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I won't trust anyone'sanalysis unless they test with and without mf in similar conditions for equal time and get at least 100 rares total.

Anything else is too superstitious.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Yeah, I'd trust them with those numbers too... but I can't see that happening during a beta, or frankly... before they hit level 80. I doubt people are going to want to farm the same spot if they're much higher in level than it. Shoot, just realized people were saying that chances of drops decrease if you farm in a place that you've out leveled (though the gear levels up with you, which is nice). The issue with that though, is that there will be a smaller chance to get items as you level up, as a lvl 40 in a lvl 10 zone gets less drops than a lvl 30 in a lvl 10 zone.

Soooo, basically we need to get to lvl 80 and farm a high level zone to be able to determine magic item drop chances. At least if I understand the situation correctly. Oh, and they'd probably need to count kills instead of just keep track of the time in case some kills take longer.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Alternatively, data collected across many players works too, provided samplingis not biased.

We know the effect is real, we just need to figure out the function.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Plus there's the daily variable kills bonus which makes it more worthwhile to kill things from different regions and not farm the one.

-Art

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Not worried though, people will band together and pool data, we'll know really fast.
    == Alaris & clone ==

I, for one, know that i will keep a set of gear with these babies into it.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_the_Pirate

It gives 50% magic find if you have 5 rune of the pirate equipped.