PC Gaming News

Papaganoosh's Dual Axe Crit Build for Warriors in SPvP

A nice burst build for Warrior with accompanying play plan.

http://papaganooshplace.blogspot.co.uk/

I've been waiting for one of our PvP experts to respond to this. My major question is "how can you pimp a PvP build when it's already made for you?" The 5-10 skills are up for grabs as well as the attributes, but I just feel like 85% of the build revolves around player skill. Which is certainly no disrespect to the OP, since he kills people and has like 20k youtube views (wow).

Hi Fluffball,

I agree the guy in the video (not me) is seriously good.

However, you can 'pimp a PvP' build just like you can in any game. Go into the mists, refund your trait points (the little arrow at the top) and put them in to a new build as is shown on the link within a link below (inception?).

http://papaganooshplace.blogspot.co....urst-spec.html

That means you can choose where to put all your trait points, choose your trait abilities and utility skills (as explained on the blog post).

THEN you can also completely change all your gear. In that spec I stated:

"In SPvP gear with all amulets, earrings, rings and armour being socketed with crit + crit damage you should be brushing around the 60% crit mark as a baseline, not taking into account the trait skills etc. For weapon sockets I would suggest the 30% chance to lightning strike on crit with both weapons. The more burst the merrier."

Maybe you didn't realize but you can completely change all your SPvP gear and socketed gems, earrings etc for free during the Beta Weekend Events, where on release I think they will cost Glory.

Hope this answers your question.

Papa

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    I have seen the high burst builds around and I don't really rate them tbh. They work because people are terrible.

The main issue with the high burst setups is you have low toughness and 18-19K hp. If you get CCed or your burst gets blocked/dodged you have no way out except to run away. In a cap points setup being forced to run for your life and give up a point is not exactly ideal.

On skill choices:

Healing signet is bad @ 40s CD. Even if you get +40 precision... at least bring the trait that reduces the CD to 32s. Althougth tbh I would much rather use Mending with its condition cleaning and 20s recharge. Mending is just too good to pass up.

Bolas is good. Its duration, range and cooldown make it pretty broken actually.

Frenzy is good. Its a must for burst builds anyway.

Signet of Might I am not a huge fan of. Sure you get +40 precision but you could just Use "For great Justice!" to gain 30s Might and 10s Fury instead. The +20% critical from Fury will almost certainly be better for bursting people down.

Signet of Rage is the only good offensive warrior elite so its an obvious choice tbh.

On a side note you should really include your equipment setup since equipment has a massive impact on character stats and how a build will play.

the Gear etc is explained here:

http://papaganooshplace.blogspot.co....rst-build.html

"In SPvP gear with all amulets, earrings, rings and armour being socketed with crit + crit damage you should be brushing around the 60% crit mark as a baseline, not taking into account the trait skills etc. For weapon sockets I would suggest the 30% chance to lightning strike on crit with both weapons. The more burst the merrier."

I also copied and pasted that verbatim in the post above yours.

I do see what you're saying about Healing Signet, but forgetting the regeneration as a passive is bad. For a decent player having 19k health isn't a problem due to the fact that with two rolls, bolas and a Horn in the off-set of weapons you can get away from most CC. Also saying there is no way out isn't really true either. Although this is a burst spec (as with everything in this game) it isn't a traditional burst spec.

Due to the fact that your Auto-Attack (Chop/Double Chop/Triple Chop) probably does 1.5x more sustained damage than a normal support player it isnt a question of running away at any point, especially as there are no ability cost mechanics.

As for the Signet of Might vs For Great Justice it is really a balance between group buffing or having a constant Might and Crit buff upon yourself. As this build is mainly meant for roaming around taking points from single defenders, it seems far better to have the Signet.

The argument that they only work because 'people are terrible' could be leveled against any build really. If a player is terrible you will do your job against him (defend, attack, support) regardless of spec. There is also the fact that a lot of people you face will be 'terrible', I'm probably one of those terrible people. At the end of the day though. Having a build where there is the possibility of getting a 12k crit will put a smile on anyone's face and that's what the game is about.

p.s. the 10% power as toughness gives you an ok boost of 170 odd toughness too. It isn't much, but it's enough not to be a total glass cannon.

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    I get what you are saying but will take this moment to point out that the 10% of power to toughness trait actually gives 5% power to vitality. The armored attack trait is similar in it also gives only 5% but it gives the points from toughness to strength as actually stated.

Also from what I have observed in game you don't get anything out of having duplicate sigils on your weapons. You would benefit more running lightning strike on crit and a have second different sigil. Freeze on crit would be a reasonable choice if you go the axe chop spamming route. If you are looking for big evicerates then there is the intelligence/doom sigils for 100% crit or +30% after a swap are pretty good.

this is the ability I mean in the top tree:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Great_Fortitude

I was wondering myself about the lightning strike on crit thing stacking or not. What I think has really thrown me is the realisation (and someone correct me if Im wrong here) that Eviscerate only takes into account your Main Hand Axe and the off hand does nothing. If this is the case then this is a huge oversight but explains why a thief can consistently crit 16k and the Eviscerates fluctuate between 6k and 12k.

I ran around with the freeze one for a bit and it's quite nice. The weapon swap one is also really nice if you put it on the Horn/Sword combo so when you switch to it it can freeze in an AOE around you. Really helps getting away!

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

[Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by papaganoosh View Post
    this is the ability I mean in the top tree:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Great_Fortitude

I was wondering myself about the lightning strike on crit thing stacking or not. What I think has really thrown me is the realisation (and someone correct me if Im wrong here) that Eviscerate only takes into account your Main Hand Axe and the off hand does nothing. If this is the case then this is a huge oversight but explains why a thief can consistently crit 16k and the Eviscerates fluctuate between 6k and 12k.

I ran around with the freeze one for a bit and it's quite nice. The weapon swap one is also really nice if you put it on the Horn/Sword combo so when you switch to it it can freeze in an AOE around you. Really helps getting away!
    It uses both sigils as far as I know because people were using sigils of doom/intelligence to do huge evicerates. Variation in damage on evic is probably criticals and your targets armour and toughness.

Also yes I know you were talking about great fortitude, it was bugged last beta and gave +5% to vitality instead.

http://papaganooshplace.blogspot.co.uk/

A few new builds for people to browse over. Updated for the BWE2.

papaganoosh:

Might be a little early to discuss finished builds unless you find something that is completely game breaking

I think Tyris Requiem had it right. . .
    Video is of a dude using a channeling attack that never gets interrupted against opponents that stand still 4 out of 5 times

Only interesting part of the video for me was watching him quick switch to reduce incoming damage
    (Something that a lot of people still don't do in the original GW)