PC Gaming News
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I live in Manhattan. A smartphone is basically required and not for downtime, for getting around.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    You keep flip-flopping on this "I don't do it because I feel weird" / "I don't do it because I don't want to" thing. If you feel weird, get over it.
    It's both, honestly. Sometimes, feeling weird about something is just silly... like how I felt my first time working out in a gym. Other times, it's my gut/better judgment telling me I could be doing something else... like not playing Cut the Rope at the table. Now, let me reiterate -- I'm not saying that everyone at that office is wasting their time, or that no one ever has a reason to use a device. It's just that I see people messing with phones constantly, and I don't see myself needing to do that. I listen to things on my iPod sometimes, and really appreciate a few select podcast apps.

And don't be judgy about the people at the Dr's office who are "connected."
    "Don't have an opinion about behaviors!" Heh. (see above) I kid, but yes -- I will challenge my friends to sit through meals without their phones.

stranger talk
    Sometimes, talking to a stranger is bugging them. (like your example--it's valid) Other times, people are so used to avoiding interaction that they just don't know how to handle those situations. Honestly, if we can't handle a pleasant hello or situational small talk from a stranger, it may be a sign of what our "connectedness" is doing to us. People used to talk to each other. As in, literally, to each other. Not via text. :p I'm not to saying everyone (or yourself) is incompetent at that, but a lot of people are.

This is the problem lol One of my good friends was anti-smartphones for that reason of avoiding connectedness. Then he got a smartphone and now he loves it. And this is a guy who talks to strangers constantly.
    Again with the maybe-getting-older, maybe-just-changing-priorities thing, I'll say there are plenty of things I would probably enjoy. I also know that I don't feel like (or need to) paying for them or spend my time messing with them. I might enjoy having Facebook at my fingertips and getting push notifications, but I don't really need to indulge FB further. Or I might even enjoy WoW for a while, but there's a reason why I stay away from a time investment that charges me per month. While not ascetic, I would say that there is value in avoiding the excessive levels of self-indulgence that our culture promotes. (the "get it, get it, get it now" mentality ... and asking "why not?" instead of "why should I?")

While not entirely related, I think it's relevant that I prefer wired keyboards & mice. I dislike having the extra hassle of replacing batteries in wireless ones, and will often trade in convenience for less upkeep/hassle.

Woah I got real preachy there lol sorry
    Good grief... We're getting verbose in our old age.
    Last edited by Zalis; 23-05-2012 at 15:38.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I'm actually looking forward to switching back to a wired mouse on my PC. I sit in weird positions and obscure the receiver sometimes.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i can't even handle a smartphone, i am planning to get one but i rather buy it my self and take a low budget sim-only call+sms+internet bundle.
    the one i am planning to take has a qwerty keyboard on the side, ppl always keep saying to me that i have to take one within the touch screen but i already have fights with a navigation system, you can expect a phone like that smashed against the wall within a few hours. (if you're lucky)
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I don't like batteries and wireless stuff. I like my peripherals plugged in.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I like my Smartphone, and in fairness, I only ended up getting it because it was free - the company who provides the service, I have been with for something like 7 years, and so to keep me loyal, they give me stuff while I still pay a pretty reasonably priced plan that covers all the things I need to do. I tend to be less attached to it that some of the people in my classes are attached to their phones, but they are mostly 5-6 years younger than me, so idk. I like to use mine for stuff like checking bus/train times, sometimes I load books onto it, or puzzle games if I'm stuck waiting somewhere. Oh, and the GoogleSky app is really awesome - I like it for stuff like that, I guess it's not really necessary for me, but it is a nice treat to have one.

Then again, I'm more attached my computers - games, photoshop, keeping up with distant friends, learning about technology, discussing stuff on forums (more learning, depending on the forum). I suppose others might not be as attached to their pcs/laptops. The way online communities function is something I've always been fond of and found rewarding, especially in games and arty type communities - lots of trade and barter and general sharing of things.

I sometimes feel old when I have to explain to the young whipper-snappers what IRC is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I don't like batteries and wireless stuff. I like my peripherals plugged in.
    Me too, but out of it being more convenient. I did used to have a wireless mouse and keyboard set, and usually the batteries would decide to run out right in the middle of some kind of GW pvp match. It made things awkward as hell.
    Last edited by kokabel; 23-05-2012 at 17:55.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    I sometimes feel old when I have to explain to the young whipper-snappers what IRC is.
    you know what really makes me think "WTF?", they are practically glued to their smartphone but searching it on google is to much of a brain strain.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    What helped me feel older and continues to make me feel older all the time is how young I think high school and college kids look.

Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to switching back to a wired mouse on my PC. I sit in weird positions and obscure the receiver sometimes.
    My laptops have wireless Logitech M570 mice, but my game rig has the Logitech G500. I don't have much room for a wired mouse with laptop, but would never want one for gaming.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild