This is the first of a new series of threads to talk about skills of the Elementalist. In the long run, this series of "Skills of Interest" will also be the foundation to talk about buffs and nerfs to the individual skills and how they have changed over time. This week, we will start with:
Glyph of Renewal
Current GW2wiki description (October, 2012) :
Revive allies with different attunement effects.
Air: Revive and teleport an ally to your location.
Earth: Revive three allies.
Fire: Revive an ally; you're revived the next time you're downed.
Water: Revive an ally with full health.
Renewal of Fire (15 s): Will revive when downed. (fire) Range: 1,200 (fire) Radius: 900 (water) Range: 1,200 (air) Radius: 600 (earth)
Traits affecting the skill
Glyph Glyph of Renewal 165
Change-log (since March 2012)
- The skill point cost was increased from 2 to 7 in the April 2012 BWE
- Became a Tier 3 skill when the tier system was introduced in May 2012 beta events.
- The ability to "rezz" switched from "downed" to "defeated" and back to "downed" again.
- Currently (October 2012), the skill is very buggy, not functioning correctly in Air Magic and with problems with its range.
- Glyph of Renewal is a classic "rezz skill" that changes depending on your current attunement.
- As everybody can revive allies in Guild Wars 2, this skill is not essential to general game play.
- Currently the Glyph only works on allies that are in the downed state again (7th Oct. 2012). It does not work on defeated allies anymore!
- Use while attunened to Air: This use is similar to the old "Rebirth" Monk skill. It lets you rezz an ally which otherwise would be dangerous to revive, because he is in the "kill zone" of e.g. a PvE boss or outside a wall in WvW.
- Use while attunened to Earth: This use is similar to the old area resurrection skills like "Light of Dwayna". It lets you rezz more than one ally, which can get a larger force of players back on its feet within seconds unlike a conventional Revive, which put you in danger during that time. They have to be in close proximity to each other to pull off a three men revive though.
- Use while attunened to Fire: This is pretty much the effect of a Guild Wars resurrection orb, you could carry around in Alliance Battles (but only affecting you). It is a second chance to get away from your foe and with the "automatic rally" decreases the chance of a damaged piece of armour or the need to travel to a way point. The effect only lasts 15 seconds.
- Use while attunened to Water: This use is similar to the old "Resurrection Signet". Your ally will be ready to do battle instantly and would not have to retreat out of combat to hit his healing skill and recover to a reasonable amount of health.
- The recharge duration of 165 seconds (132 with Quick Glyphs) makes this skill a very situational skill and not meant for each downed ally you see on the ground.
- With the limited skills on the utility bar, you could see this as a wasted slot.
- PvE characters with an eye on the survivor title progression might consider this glyph.
- sPvP players could use this skill to rescue team members from coup de grace movements, if they are fast enough.
- WvW players have a lot of tactical options with this skill.