Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Glyph of Renewal

This is the first of a new series of threads to talk about skills of the Elementalist. In the long run, this series of "Skills of Interest" will also be the foundation to talk about buffs and nerfs to the individual skills and how they have changed over time. This week, we will start with:

Glyph of Renewal

Current GW2wiki description (October, 2012) :

Revive allies with different attunement effects.
    Air: Revive and teleport an ally to your location.
    Earth: Revive three allies.
    Fire: Revive an ally; you're revived the next time you're downed.
    Water: Revive an ally with full health.
    Renewal of Fire (15 s): Will revive when downed. (fire) Range: 1,200 (fire) Radius: 900 (water) Range: 1,200 (air) Radius: 600 (earth)

Slot
    Type
    Icon
    Skill
    Traits affecting the skill
    Utility
    Tier 3
    Glyph Glyph of Renewal 165

Change-log (since March 2012)

• The skill point cost was increased from 2 to 7 in the April 2012 BWE
    • Became a Tier 3 skill when the tier system was introduced in May 2012 beta events.
    • The ability to "rezz" switched from "downed" to "defeated" and back to "downed" again.
    • Currently (October 2012), the skill is very buggy, not functioning correctly in Air Magic and with problems with its range.

Skill assessment

• Glyph of Renewal is a classic "rezz skill" that changes depending on your current attunement.
    • As everybody can revive allies in Guild Wars 2, this skill is not essential to general game play.
    • Currently the Glyph only works on allies that are in the downed state again (7th Oct. 2012). It does not work on defeated allies anymore!
    • Use while attunened to Air: This use is similar to the old "Rebirth" Monk skill. It lets you rezz an ally which otherwise would be dangerous to revive, because he is in the "kill zone" of e.g. a PvE boss or outside a wall in WvW.
    • Use while attunened to Earth: This use is similar to the old area resurrection skills like "Light of Dwayna". It lets you rezz more than one ally, which can get a larger force of players back on its feet within seconds unlike a conventional Revive, which put you in danger during that time. They have to be in close proximity to each other to pull off a three men revive though.
    • Use while attunened to Fire: This is pretty much the effect of a Guild Wars resurrection orb, you could carry around in Alliance Battles (but only affecting you). It is a second chance to get away from your foe and with the "automatic rally" decreases the chance of a damaged piece of armour or the need to travel to a way point. The effect only lasts 15 seconds.
    • Use while attunened to Water: This use is similar to the old "Resurrection Signet". Your ally will be ready to do battle instantly and would not have to retreat out of combat to hit his healing skill and recover to a reasonable amount of health.
    • The recharge duration of 165 seconds (132 with Quick Glyphs) makes this skill a very situational skill and not meant for each downed ally you see on the ground.
    • With the limited skills on the utility bar, you could see this as a wasted slot.
    • PvE characters with an eye on the survivor title progression might consider this glyph.
    • sPvP players could use this skill to rescue team members from coup de grace movements, if they are fast enough.
    • WvW players have a lot of tactical options with this skill.
    Last edited by Gorani; 05-12-2012 at 19:45.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

First, I'll say excellent job on the skill assessment with references to similar skill use based on GW skills.

However, I don't see this as a very useful skill at all. I can see some use for team farming possibly, but otherwise it's better to take the death penalty and get back into action. It's going to be hard to justify use of the slot when you have several other better choices and only 3 slots to choose.

GWOnline Content Team
    Elemental Attunement
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    I have to disagree but only on the basis if the elementalist is heavily invested in glyph based traits. As it stands a glyph elementalist be extremely tactical with their attunements as their utilities are also affected by their attunement. Not only do glyphs change based on attunement but a lot of traits give various boons based on your attunement when you cast a glyph. For this reason I see Glyph of Renewal being extremely helpful to a Glyph based support build because not only can you choose which buff to grant your ally (or allies in case of earth) but with the proper traits you choose which buffs to grant yourself as well.

Here's an example:
    You are on low health and your ally gets downed. Switch to fire and cast Glyph of Renewal which will make sure you both don't get downed right away and your also gain Might due to your traits. You both rush to defeat the enemy as you are guaranteed to get back up and you are now dealing more damage. You have now turned could have been a wipe into a favourable situation.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Since Redean has mentioned them:

To be able to have those two traits, you will have to invest 20 out of your 70 trait points into Air Magic, boosting you to Master level there.
    The Glyph you will most like use a lot is Glyph of Elemental Harmony, which grants those boons anyway (so the second effect of Inscription will probably stack, but I am not sure). Glyphs in general have an awful recharge time, so I have doubts about Inscription over other Air Magic traits. Quick Glyphs is OK to take IMO.

At a basic recharge of 165 seconds (of Glyph of Renewal), the worth of the two traits really has to be debated.
    Last edited by Gorani; 25-05-2012 at 18:04.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Uh, having a full range res with a variety of additional effects is pretty sweet. Getting off a Water or Earth revive is a gamebreaker, even without any traited buffs. How often those scenario's occur in game, well, in the beginning months I'd guess quite often. The game is built to be offensive so downed/defeated isn't an uncommon status and reviving three at once or fully healing that Thief or Guardian from outside of melee range? Pretty sweet.

GWOnline Content Team
    Elemental Attunement
    Achievements:
    I completely overlooked the cooldowns. The massive 165 second cooldown (longer than a lot of elites) is something to be wary of.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    OK, reading some "off" GWO forums, including the Official GW2 Forums, it looks like Glyph of Renewal (and other "rezz" skills only work on downed, but not defeated allies). Can somebody confirm this?
    If it is true - which I don't really doubt - how good is the skill as a utility skill? Allies in PvP (both sPvP & WvW) get finished off & defeated almost immediately after being downed and in PvE the use on downed and not defeated allies is very limited too (e.g. how big is the chance to use the "revive 3 people" if they are not hit by a boss monster on shot kill).

Long random thought short: Limiting to downed and not defeated allies makes this skill even less appealing than before.

GWOnline Content Team
    Elemental Attunement
    Achievements:
    On a related note do healing spells heal downed players? If so then I really do not see much use from glyph of renewal.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redean View Post
    On a related note do healing spells heal downed players? If so then I really do not see much use from glyph of renewal.
    I am not sure Redean. It is one thing we should check out on the next BWE. Perhaps somebody can find an answer to that on some forum or the GW2wiki.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I've overhauled the skill's description and assessment after the latest update.