PC Gaming News
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Leap, advance, teleport, shadow step? Stop the confusion

I am currently overhauling the [Basics] information threads in the Elementalist forum and discovered that during the last two beta events Arena.Net has increased the confusion of a lot of "movement type effects", which need to be fixed as soon as possible, IMO.

I'll try to explain what I mean:

1. "Leap" without effect

Leap is described as (wiki) => A leap is a type of movement effect where the user rapidly moves forward a short distance. Often used to attack a distant foe, it can also be used for positioning and thus control in battle.
    This definition includes all kinds of skills which allow fast movement across a distance, including high arc jumps like Jump Shot as well as quick sprints over an area such as Burning Speed.

Some skills have "leap" in their name, like "Savage Leap" but they belong to the next category...

2. "Leap" with a combo finisher

The combo-leap is described as (wiki) => A Leap is a finisher of a cross-profession combo. It can be used to create a variety of effects when paired with an appropriate combo field, or initiator.

To increase the growing confusion, not all combo-leaps are called "leap", they can also be called "Charge" like "Bull's Charge". Oh, wait the skill called "Charge!" has nothing to do with a leap-combo.

3. Teleport (mechanic, not the Mesmer skill "Teleport")

The teleport effect is described as (wiki) => Teleport (alternatively, flash) is an effect which causes the user or target(s) to instantly move from one location to another.

In my [Basics] threads, I assume the path can be obstructed (unlike the "leap" without effect), otherwise there would be no difference IMO. The wiki lists "Ride the Lightning" as a teleport skill, but its range can be shortened by an obstructed path.

wait, more

4. Shadow step (mechanic)

The shadow step mechanic is described as (wiki) => Shadow stepping is an effect that causes one to move instantly from one place to another through the use of a skill.

So, where is the real difference to the teleport mechanic

I hope you can understand the confusion that has been building up during my overhaul. I think Arena.net has to work on naming the effects in a non-confusing way to separate 1), 2) and 3) more clearly.
    Last edited by Gorani; 26-05-2012 at 15:58.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    Because shadow step also allows you to return back to your old location.

All shadow step skills are part of a 2-skill combo that allows the user to return to the original position.

In other words:

Leap is a "movement enhancer" that can be blocked by obstacles and is not immediate.

Teleport is a movement enhancer that can't be blocked by terrain and is istant.

Shadow Step is a movement enhancer that can be blocked (if I'm not mistaken) by terrain, is instant and allows the user to return to its original position (with exception of the Steal mechaninc).

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeon Lion View Post

All shadow step skills are part of a 2-skill combo that allows the user to return to the original position.

In other words:

Leap is a "movement enhancer" that can be blocked by obstacles and is not immediate.

Teleport is a movement enhancer that can't be blocked by terrain and is istant.

Shadow Step is a movement enhancer that can be blocked (if I'm not mistaken) by terrain, is instant and allows the user to return to its original position (with exception of the Steal mechaninc).
    I haven't played a Thief yet, thanks for clearing that up for me. That 2-skill combo thing should make it to the wiki description though.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

No.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shad...%28mechanic%29

The majority of shadowsteps is one-way only.

Quote Originally Posted by upier View Post
    No.

Shadow Step - the game mechanic to which you linked talks about moving in one direction, but...
    Shadowstep - the utility skill states that when used it is replaced with Shadowreturn, so as long as you don't walk out of range, you can't shadowstep a second time without shadowreturning first.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    Quote Originally Posted by upier View Post
    No.

Hhmmm, my mistake. It's just that when I played with it, I actually managed to only pick Shadow steps that had a 2-way process.

I can see where the confusion takes place then. However, I still think shadow step can be obstructed.

Besides that, I think the difference between shadow step and teleport is simply the whole class flavour.

However, I still think shadow step can be obstructed.
    It can. Tele and shadowstep work exactly like GW1, and leap is just a slow shadowstep.