PC Gaming News
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]

Guild Wars 2 Is Appealing To Even Non-MMOers

Austin Regimbal from GAMEBREAKER TV is not really into MMOs.* Could Guild Wars 2 have persuaded a* turn around?* Check out the full article and read what aspects of Guild Wars 2 has Austin talking about possible MMO conversion.

More...
    Last edited by Lensor; 29-05-2012 at 22:58.
    IGN Bark N Mad. Officer in The Order of Dii [Dii]

MMO's in the past decade have been based on broken mechanics supporting boring gameplay to justify a fallacious sense of accomplishment not based on skill rather than time spent. MMO's as a genre is brilliant and many people want to play it, but many broken mechanics scare normal people off.

It's only normal for MMO's to mature, just like virtually every other genre has become way more accessible. Also the first generation of gamers of the early eighties currently has a job and kids. These people made videogames popular yet simply don't have the time anymore for broken mechanics. As more and more generations of gamers become loving parents, videogames will increasingly become both very common and a lot less time consuming. As a 12 year old gamer I thought I'd outgrow it by the time I was 20 or so, a bit like my parents. I'm currently 25 and do my best to cramp at least some games into my schedule because I'm not prepared to give up my favourite hobby.

Compounded by the fact that games get increasingly more expensive due to better graphics and expectations, it's important to get the money where the money is. There are only so many spoilt kids who can buy a 100 games a year. However people with a job can easily afford several sub based games as long as they're fun and provide a return on TIME investment. Because face it, what's a 15 euro sub compared to the 3000 euro mountain bike many people have rusting away in their garage.

Either games as a hobby disappears or evolves. Currently there is no middle ground anymore.
    Last edited by harniq; 29-05-2012 at 20:30.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    MMO's in the past decade have been based on broken mechanics supporting boring gameplay to justify a fallacious sense of accomplishment not based on skill rather than time spent. MMO's as a genre is brilliant and many people want to play it, but many broken mechanics scare normal people off.
    I agree with this a lot. But also...

What fascinates me is that there has been very little in terms of offered diversity. That's true of many genres, although more so of MMORPGs and some argue it's because it is more expensive to make MMORPGs and thus it's more risky and thus devs play it more conservatively.

Meanwhile, in other genres you can have more diversity to pick from even within a genre or even within "clonish" games. Compare SR3 vs GTA, or Bastion vs Torchlight vs Diablo 3, or Orcs Must Die vs Plants vs Zombies, or FEAR vs AvP vs Splinter Cell Conviction. You even end up with small games like Anomaly where a genre gets reversed (it's marketed as a reverse tower defence).

Smaller games can take more risks, and innovate. Or more to the point, smaller games can differentiate themselves more, so that picking one or the other feels more meaningful.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    I was exactly like Austin. My closest foray into the MMO field was during the beta testing of URU: Ages Beyond Myst. There I met a fellow discoverer and we became fast friends. After URU bit the dust, we stayed in touch, but he wanted to find something where we could play together again. Guild Wars came along and he was sure it would fit the bill. I was adamant - NO, this type of game is NOT for me. (I had tried a trial version of WoW and hated it). He kept the pressure on and I eventually succumbed and purchased the game right after release (my oldest character turned 7 on May 6).

Right away I noticed the difference between WoW and GW and liked what I saw (not saying WoW is a bad game - just not a game for me). And from what I've seen so far in the BWE - GW2 is going to be an even better fit for people like me. Of course, it doesn't hurt when you become a member of a great community like this one!
    GWOnline Social Media Manager