GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]

[GWI] Wandering Into Awesomeness: Why the map doesn't matter

I've been wanting to write about this ever since I first stumbled across it on Guild Wars Insider. It reminds me that, in order to be immersed in our "world", we should truly go about Guild Wars 2 as if we are our avatars. When you walk into an unknown landscape for the first time, do you expect to see a tutorial telling you exactly where you should go to see such and such an occurrence? Most people don't. And as for me, I want to discover the place on my own. I plunge down a path, not knowing what might be around the corner and I'm thrilled when I'm rewarded with an unexpected sight, like a mother quail and her biddies scurrying from one side of the trail to the other, or a clutch of turkeys, or a fawn bounding after it's mother (or maybe not so thrilled when that sight is an alligator across the trail).

This article made me think about how I approach Guild Wars 2. Next time we have a BWE, I'm going to try very hard not to think about the fact that I'm playing a game. I'm going to try to be more like the explorer I enjoy being....and follow not only that little boy, but other things as well. Here's hoping for more surprises!
    Last edited by Lensor; 15-06-2012 at 18:37.
    GWOnline Social Media Manager

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    It is a good point and I think it makes sense for the explorable world.

However, I don't really have a problem with the map on the explorable world. But when it comes to the city, this is where I take issue with the map. I don't want to spend my time in a game (or in real life) stumbling around an enormous city, trying to find a bank or the right merchant. Heck, I live in what is often considered one of the most confusing cities to get around in and it's easier to find stuff here than in GW 2. If I can Google Map a store, when can't I filter my GW2 map to a merchant?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Wow, I think I saw part of that event but just ended up going to the nearby event instead.

This is really cool though, I'll be talking to NPCs a lot more.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Unfortunately, I was trying to level to get get more skills, but when the release comes, I'll return to taking it slow and steady. I was always amazed at how much world existed beyond what you would see by only doing quests, and felt that those who rushed through the game missed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mawgleah View Post
    I'm going to try to be more like the explorer I enjoy being....and follow not only that little boy, but other things as well.
    *Checks sex offender registry for a "Mawg"*
    Not found, but will watch for any Amber Alerts during game.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I was there during the press beta event. If you don't start to go after the Shaman, the ice elementals will start attacking the lodge, which will not be taken down, but the doors will close, so you can't get inside to the NPCs. When the elementals will lay siege on the lodge, the waypoint will also be disputed, so you can not port there.

PS: It is always a good idea to follow or talk to a "collect x" type of NPCs, after you have brought him items, as, like the hearts quest NPCs, they sometimes turn into traders and have karma items.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I have been completely ignorant of karma and crafting and such, likely I will remain fairly ignorant for a while aside for learning the basics of how to turn all that into gold or XP or both. I do want to amass sufficient wealth first while the game is fresh, and then go back with alt characters and enjoy the journey. Ok, so the first time through I will take some time to enjoy it too, but with a focus forward.

Thing is though that this sounded pretty cool from a questing perspective, rather than just karma spending. And since it didn't show on the map, I would have missed out on that with my map-centric approach.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I have been completely ignorant of karma and crafting and such, likely I will remain fairly ignorant for a while aside for learning the basics of how to turn all that into gold or XP or both. I do want to amass sufficient wealth first while the game is fresh, and then go back with alt characters and enjoy the journey.
    That is probably the silliest approach to Beta I've heard yet. Every material thing you amass during Beta is going to be destroyed before the game goes live: why focus on getting gold when you know it's going to be destroyed, it holds no permanence. Focus on getting what you need to play the content you like: for the rest, just do casual exploration and take your time to get to know the game and the interface. The only headstart you can earn from playing Beta-content, is memorizing how the game works, what works, what you like and what you want.

Anyway, you spend karma at karma vendors. Pretty much all regular karma vendors suck, but completing hearts unlocks those people as karma vendors, and they have some pretty incredible items (rare weaponry, upgrade components, rare ingredients, modified armor, unique skins). Those items also have a much better karma:gold conversion ratio than those at regular karma vendors. It also takes fairly little time to unlock these guys and tends to be fun to do (especially as world events tend to happen in areas with a heart, and completing these rewards you with world event completion and heart completion).

Oh completing all hearts, getting all waypoints, finding all interesting places and completing all skill quests in any given area rewards you with a quest with 4 level appropriate luxury items and a bunch of gold/xp/karma.

As for crafting, it's pretty simple. I'm personally not that interested in it, but I think Gorani and Rhonwyn are, so I'd ask them to explain the (dis)advantages.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    That is probably the silliest approach to Beta I've heard yet.
    I did the opposite. My goal was to learn to play and understand the game better, I spend most of my time in WvW and sPvP, with PvE more for unlocking skills or learning about DE's. I did no crafting, and I paid no attention to my money.

The headstart I meant was once the 3-day headstart starts, to actually play one character to the end (not rushing though) so I can get endgame stuff and sell it. But I am not in that mode for beta, of course.

Thanks for the info on karma.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    It is a good point and I think it makes sense for the explorable world.

However, I don't really have a problem with the map on the explorable world. But when it comes to the city, this is where I take issue with the map. I don't want to spend my time in a game (or in real life) stumbling around an enormous city, trying to find a bank or the right merchant. Heck, I live in what is often considered one of the most confusing cities to get around in and it's easier to find stuff here than in GW 2. If I can Google Map a store, when can't I filter my GW2 map to a merchant?
    *grins* I come from a era when you couldn't Google anything, much less where you needed to go. About the best you could hope for was to call and get directions. While I do take advantage of what technology is available to us now when I'm in a strange city and in desperate need of an ATM, I also take the "explorer" approach when not pressed for time (or need). This method has opened doors to incredible restaurants, shops, museums and the like that I would most likely never discovered if I'd used Google (or even the local visitor's bureau).

However, I tend to agree with you about having the ability to use some sort of search function in Guild Wars 2 when looking for a particular vendor, etc in whatever area you happen to be in - providing, of course, that you've already unlocked the area. Although, considering we never had that option in GW1, I'm not sure I'd hold my breath waiting for it. To be perfectly honest, I've never understood the placing of NPC's in some of the areas of GW1.....why make me run from one end of the town to the other just to interact with a merchant AND my Xunlai Chest?
    GWOnline Social Media Manager

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    But the maps in GW 1 were so much smaller, so even in the confusing ones, it didn't take much time to find the different NPCs.

Also, I think you could keep your Xunlai chest open and then run to the merchant and use both at the same time :)