GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]

Dye Unlocking Now Character Based

Crystin Cox, an ArenaNet employee, in response to a BWE2 forum topic, explains the thinking behind scraping the original plan to allow dye unlocking across an account in favor of character based unlocking only.

<More...>
    GWOnline Social Media Manager

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Is "dye grind" an appropriate phrase to use now?

IIRC, you get at least the name of the dye colour before you have to double click to add it to a characters collection of dyes now. Until then it should be trade-able & moveable in your back storage, right?
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Bad decision, no me gusta, dare I say it has something to do with dyes being in the cash shop?

I wouldn't find it too much of an issue if there weren't so many darn colors.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    dare I say it has something to do with dyes being in the cash shop?
    If it had to do with the cash shop, they wouldn't be working on a way to get the exact color dye you want from the mystic forge...just sayin'.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    If it had to do with the cash shop, they wouldn't be working on a way to get the exact color dye you want from the mystic forge...just sayin'.
    Perhaps not, but there are items in the cash shop to use in the mystic forge, too. Though I'm not positive on how that thing works.

I think it's kind of messed up that they said "changing it to an account based system is not something we are considering right now" when that was how the system was originally presented to us.

I just feel like they keep making changes to systems they officially announced and it's getting kind of old. They were so closed-lipped about so many details of the game for so long, now they're constantly changing things they actually did reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    Bad decision, no me gusta, dare I say it has something to do with dyes being in the cash shop?
    Seems obvious enough.
    They're skins, so I don't particularly care, but going back on good design, implementing bad design for the extra $$$ irks me to no end.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    I'm actually kinda okay with this, as I have an unfortunate habit of dyeing everything the same colors across characters. This should force me to go out on a limb a bit more. Besides, it doesn't seem like drops for dye are all that rare; should be able to find SOMETHING you like without resorting to the cash shop.

Sent from my even more trendy iPad (now with MORE retinas!) using Tapatalk
    Guild Wars - Erring Ryft | Guild Wars 2 - The Artless Dodger.2314

Achievements:
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Personally I am very much against this development, it is just too much.

Character based + random (with no duplicate-protection) + locked on ID so cant even trade doubles.

And if each character should have their own palette, would it not help to have that palette not random whatever colors but in stead actually, you know, color-coordinated ones? I am actually surprised that Kirsten went along with this, since it is pretty much guaranteed to make people look like clowns.
    Last edited by Lensor; 15-06-2012 at 23:37.
    IGN Bark N Mad. Officer in The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    @Gorani - I'm not sure how that works, but I do intend to test it next BWE. I can say that I got a good number of dye drops as loot during the 2nd BWE. I don't recall getting any during the 1st and I was able to play far more during that weekend than this.

I know this is likely to be an issue for many players, although I don't see it affecting me so much. As a rule I don't tend to make a lot of characters...it's all I can do to keep up with one *grins*. According to the quote, it seems you will be able to toss certain items in the Mystic Forge and get dyes so a player won't be forced to purchase gems for them. Basically, I guess it's going to be a "wait and see" proposition. If there are huge numbers of players vocal enough perhaps they'll be able to get ArenaNet to return to the original plan of account base unlocking.
    GWOnline Social Media Manager

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    400 dyes, and they make them character-based and untradeable once you revealed the color, so all the options for acquiring more dyes are completely random, and you gotta do it over for each alt? That's a prime example of awful design. I hate it, with a fiery passion. H-A-T-E.