Thread: Glyph of Storms

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Glyph of Storms

The next skill in the series of Skills of Interest is another Glyph utility skill: Glyph of Storms.

Glyph of Storms

Current GW2wiki description (17th June, 2012) :

Create a storm based on your attunement.
    Radius: 240 Range: 900

Fire seems to cause no extra effect
    Water causes a 6 second Chill effect on each hit
    Air seems to cause no extra effect
    Earth causes a 2 second Blind effect on each hit

Slot
    Type
    Icon
    Skill
    Traits affecting the skill
    Utility
    T1
    Glyph Glyph of Storms 60

Change-log (since March 2012)

• Was introduced as a utility skill with a cost of 3 skill points.
    • Became a tier 1 skill at the second BWE, reducing its skill point cost to 1.

Skill assessment

• Glyph of Storms is a ground target-able AoE skill with a fair radius and range.
    • It is available as an utility skill and therefore not limited by the weapon(s) of choice the Elementalist wields at the moment.
    • It is a very cheap to get skill at only one skill point at tier 1 now.
    • A very good choice to deal good damage to choke points, like narrow bridges or defenders on tower walls in WvW.
    • With no types of different direct damage versions (like in GW1) the attunement and its animation is just cosmetics for the Fire & Lightning Storm. Earth & Ice Storms cause additional effects (mentioned above) in the form of conditions.
    • Compared to Meteor Shower, the range is shorter (900 instead of 1.200) as well as the total radius (240 instead of 360)
    • Unlike Meteor Shower, the complete AoE is hit with damage over a few seconds (Meteor Shower has individual smaller blast radii for each meteor within the 360), so you can just be lucky and evade by walking out.
    • Using the "Quick Glyphs" trait (tier 1 trait, easy to get), the recharge can be brought down to 48 seconds. Glyph of Elemental Harmony does make a good companion here, to justify the use of this trait (perhaps Glyph of Lesser Elementals, too).

Last edited by Gorani; 05-12-2012 at 20:06.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Wait, you say the different elements produce the same storm aside from visuals? Disappointing :(
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Wait, you say the different elements produce the same storm aside from visuals? Disappointing :(
    AFAIK, there are no damage type weaknesses or resistances on monsters, like we had in Guild Wars 1 (e.g. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ice_Imp, which has higher armour vs. Water Magic). At least for the Elementalist, I know of no skill or trait that would trigger on different types of elements.
    So yes: The different attunement only do visually different storms right now.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm pretty sure they do/will do different storms.

I played with it a bit, really liked the idea of it. I am not quite sure what all the storms do, however, the Earth Attunement based Storm certainly seemed to blind attackers, as they would miss their attacks when they were inside it (good survivability skill). Possibly the Water Storm has/will have some healing - unsure about the other two, didn't use them as much. Perhaps not all of the Storms have been given a unique effect yet.
    Last edited by kokabel; 17-06-2012 at 14:31.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    I'm pretty sure they do/will do different storms.
    Perhaps I should have targeted some poor creature (the crab in the video did not turn hostile).

None of the official wikis (English, German) added a special condition to their description concerning a condition. The Fiery Greatword's "Firestorm" does raw damage too, no burning. Ice Storm from the Frost Bow conjure adds Daze and Lightning Storm from the air conjure does raw damage again. There is no "Earth Storm" on the Earth conjure.

If anybody can point out a video, perhaps PvP were you can see hints on a condition I will check it out.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    AFAIK, there are no damage type weaknesses or resistances on monsters
    Nah, I would expect more for the storm to inflict a different condition based on element, e.g. burning, chill, weakness, blind?
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Nah, I would expect more for the storm to inflict a different condition based on element, e.g. burning, chill, weakness, blind?
    Yes, that's what I expected too. But it looks like it is not implemented. Nevertheless, as an AoE damage spell it is not the worst thing to take, e.g. if you do not have the range or the AoE at hand with your primary weapon (e.g. Main Hand Daggers)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    Yes, that's what I expected too. But it looks like it is not implemented. Nevertheless, as an AoE damage spell it is not the worst thing to take, e.g. if you do not have the range or the AoE at hand with your primary weapon (e.g. Main Hand Daggers)
    Oh yeah, of course... I meant that I really liked how weapon skills change with element, and then I was super-excited to learn that the same goes with optional etc skills (or at least a subset) but if it's cosmetic only then meh better than nothing I guess.

I do hope they implement differences based on element by release though, that'd be awesome.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    There's someone talking/asking about the Earth storm having a blind effect in the talk section of the wiki page, so it wasn't just me, I'm not completely mad quite yet!

Tried to look for videos... failed to find anything.
    Last edited by kokabel; 18-06-2012 at 02:55.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Used Glyph of Storms yesterday during some heart quests: No conditions on any attunement.