Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]

Your Voice Of Tyria – Do Your Own !

Voice acting is a “hot iron” in video games. Game developers can easily burn the fans of a game with the choice of the voice actors and how the voice acting is actually done. Localization can even do more harm with silly translations and voices that sound very differently than the original English voice actors. [...]

(Challenge by Gorani )
    More...
    Last edited by Lensor; 17-06-2012 at 14:50.
    IGN Bark N Mad. Leader of The Order of Dii [Dii]

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    As I have posted on the YT page of the video: We need more Arnold Norns!

I thought that the voice acting I could listen to during the two BWEs was OK. No highly annoying "Danika voices" so far. :)
    I wish they would have made the Sylvari a little more "odd & other-worldly" than they are now. That's why I tried to have "mine" talk in a melody and added little "two tongues" effect.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Oooh, a part of me wants to have a try at this! There should be some sort of... competition, perhaps, for the best take on the race voices from a fan.

No idea what I would use to make the recording and video but, I'm sure I could find out. Also, I don't think I'd be very good at the male voices. :(

I really like the VA so far in GW2 - it is above and beyond GW1's, and there's some great voices in there for the Destiny's Edge NPCs.
    Dea Draconis • Friendship is Magic • Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    Oooh, a part of me wants to have a try at this! There should be some sort of... competition, perhaps, for the best take on the race voices from a fan.

No idea what I would use to make the recording and video but, I'm sure I could find out. Also, I don't think I'd be very good at the male voices. :(

I really like the VA so far in GW2 - it is above and beyond GW1's, and there's some great voices in there for the Destiny's Edge NPCs.
    I made my recordings with Audacity (which is a freeware program) and Lensor was kind enough to compose the video. No need to do "male voices". I just used the text from the Voices of Tyria as something we could associate with each race, I did not care for the gender.

Sorry I have no prize to give away right now, other than the smile on my face when I hear you make funny voices like me.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I do have a voice modulator on my headset (and the sound is fairly clear from it, it's a damn good headset) but it doesn't sound terribly organic or real when modulated to lower or higher pitches. I would love to give it a try though, I guess I'll mess around today and see if I can achieve something and if it's not utterly cringe-worthy, I'll give it a shot!
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Mawgleah might have some prizes too give away for this challenge. We will keep you posted if we can have some give-aways for people responding with their own voices.

Gorani

10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i have bin thinking of doing voice acting my self, always did the weird and funny voices and am really good in the creepy and nasty voices. (i can do smeagle and such....)

i would say the charr is done on the wrong pitch, instead of using the vibration of your voice you are forcing vibration.
    this can lead to well...this and you can damage your throat, not a good direction to go when you're voice acting.
    take it from me, i tried forcing certain voices and i only made it worse, it's better to stay within your own limits so there is no damage.

within the game, i really like the voice acting but they could've added something extra for the player characters, like a pitch bar or different sets of voices.
    the first takes some work with an equalizer and some balance generator, the later takes around as much time as it takes to make one voice set per set.
    Last edited by sorudo; 17-06-2012 at 16:40.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Incidentally I'm not bothered about a prize or whatever, I just think it might be fun! But it might encourage others to take a shot at this.

I'm currently annoying my housemates, practising my Rytlock voice (oh, I can dream. Even if I was a man my voice would never be so glorious).

I took the liberty of quickly transcribing the Races trailer script. Might not be 100% (or spelled right), but it may make it easier for people who would like to join in.

Human:

My name is Logan Thackery - I'm human, a citizen of the nation of Kryta. I defend Divinity's Reach.

Though in battle we fight for our homes, our gods and our queen, nothing can break our spirit.

Charr:

Your faith is your weakness, human. --- Name: Rytlock Brimstone, Rank: Tribune, Duty: Vanguard for the Black Citadel.

Charr bow to no advesary! With the clamour of anvils and the thunder of guns, we rip each day from life's teeth. Our strength will shake the foundations of the world!

Norn:

Strength is nothing without wisdom.

I am Ayr, I am Norn. In the great lodge Hoelbrek we listen to the spirits of the wild. Bear, snow leopard, raven and wolf. We follow their path to glory - if you are bold enough, your legend will live forever.

Asura:

Ignorant Clods! I am Zoija, member in good standing of the College of Synergetics. I am from Rata Sum. We Asura will tell you, victory is a matter of ingenuity, not muscle. Even magic is just a cog in the Eternal Alchemy. Brain, not brawn will change the world.

Sylvari:

Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current. I am one of the Sylvari firstborn - call me, Caithe.

In the grove we hear the land calling out for champions - we answer. Evil threatens Tyria, but our dream will guide us through darkness to dawn.

Asura: In a time of uncertain allies

Charr: And dangerous enemies

Human: Tyria needs heroes

Norn: It is time to forge new legends

Sylvari: It is time to fight!

What is your story?
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    @ kokabel (& others)

This was in no way intended to make people do "their Rytlock voice". I just want you to do Asura, Charr, Norn and Sylvari voices you like and think how they should sound.
    That's why my Asura are squeaky, my Charr sounds forced and raw (with an added distortion with the program), my Norn was slow & with a stronger accent (and pitched lower). The Sylvari got a bit more "melody" in the voice than you would normally do and I mixed in a second layer (which is the same recording, just 5% faster).

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Yes but, Steve Blum has a majestic voice. I can't help but want to sound that way! :D

I would still do my Charr kinda Growl-worthy, and as much as I might try, it will just have to be my take on it, or something like that, because I don't have that kind of vocal range, haha.

So far I've managed to only just get the voice recording to work... and hearing my voice is so awkward! Arggh!
    kokabel.5728