PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 151

Thread: I meh GW2!!!

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Does this mean I'm promoted to Green?

    Haha, I remember that game, it is hilarious despite that, or rather because, every single session ends in everyone trying to kill everyone else in inventive ways.
    You gotta work your way up there. :) (i.e. killing everyone ahead of you in your department...)

    Unless you're one of the greens secretly sent down to spy on us... and figure out new ways to synergise and maximise the productivity of the nascent talents of the generalised workforce.



    And good lord, I think I should stop posting about these old games.. I think I've just dated myself into the Cretaceous period...
    Last edited by hotdogtesting; 20-06-2012 at 18:27.

  2. #22
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    22,615
    I played alone when I didn't feel like wasting time making a group. I preferred playing with PUGs though over playing alone, and I usually went with PUGs one zdays.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  3. #23
    About groups.... let me state clearly what a group is in real life. A group is simply people being in the same place for more or less the same reason. This could be organised as in a pro league volleyball match, or improvised as in beach volley between strangers. Being in a group usually doesn't have superpowers such as being allowed to play on Wimbeldon court simply because you got there first, or get a +5 volleyball of win against others. No one will call top level volleyball watered down because somewhere people enjoy a friendly game of beachvolleyball.

    In GW2 this organic style also exist. You're in a group because you happen to be around the same interesting thing. You could also group up with friends to go do something interesting. Or you could even team up in guilds to do the exact same interesting thing but at a higher skill level.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    About groups.... let me state clearly what a group is in real life. A group is simply people being in the same place for more or less the same reason. This could be organised as in a pro league volleyball match, or improvised as in beach volley between strangers. Being in a group usually doesn't have superpowers such as being allowed to play on Wimbeldon court simply because you got there first, or get a +5 volleyball of win against others. No one will call top level volleyball watered down because somewhere people enjoy a friendly game of beachvolleyball.

    In GW2 this organic style also exist. You're in a group because you happen to be around the same interesting thing. You could also group up with friends to go do something interesting. Or you could even team up in guilds to do the exact same interesting thing but at a higher skill level.
    An excellent analogy.

  5. #25
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    22,615
    Nice analogy harniq.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    About groups.... let me state clearly what a group is in real life. A group is simply people being in the same place for more or less the same reason. This could be organised as in a pro league volleyball match, or improvised as in beach volley between strangers. Being in a group usually doesn't have superpowers such as being allowed to play on Wimbeldon court simply because you got there first, or get a +5 volleyball of win against others. No one will call top level volleyball watered down because somewhere people enjoy a friendly game of beachvolleyball.

    In GW2 this organic style also exist. You're in a group because you happen to be around the same interesting thing. You could also group up with friends to go do something interesting. Or you could even team up in guilds to do the exact same interesting thing but at a higher skill level.
    Volleyball is a horrible game.

    Look, let's compare GW2 to real life then. In real life, if you run around with a weapon, you'd get arrested. How's that? In real life, if you get hit by a sword right in the head, you're dead. ****ing dead. In GW2 you lose 100 health and keep standing. when you do go down, you get to fight from there... When you're defeated for good, someone can revive you. No defibrillator needed. You literally get another life. Or, you can pay to get teleported to somewhere. You can't teleport in real life.

    Games are very different from reality, and all the differences are there to make games pleasurable to play. There is no reason why grouping in a game should not be improved over reality.

    Also. Let's pretend that you are a hero on some important mission. No, not in-game, I mean a real hero. Like you are a U.S Navy SEAL on your way to kill bin Laden. Or something. And you are in a group. Composed of yourself and other SEALs.
    And then some asshat in suspender pants and a propeller cap, like this one comes along and says he wants to join up and kill bin Laden too. Would the SEALs let him join up?

    No they ****ing would not. While it would make sense in a game.

    Don't make such retarded comparisons between reality and games please.

  7. #27
    I agree with the OP...our OPINIONS of the game may not be the same as others, and no matter how much you try to bash it into our skulls--we may never agree on some points. (eg. there is no group in gw2, in gw1 there was the party--this is totally GONE from gw2, maybe I dont want to play with 15000000 others...I just want to play with a select few...well in gw2, that aint gonna happen. I found one time I was doing one of those heart quests and yes people were CAMPED out on the melons waiting for the bunnies to appear...yeah I got a few points for 'participating' but never turned in a bunny since I wasnt fast enough to grab it before the camped person did!)
    What endeared gw to me is totally ABSENT from gw2--you can argue with me about it all you wish, however, its MY opinion. The things that made me want to play are all gone in gw2.
    (and yes I agree with the guns idea--guns=/=fantasy magic worlds).

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyfiep View Post
    What endeared gw to me is totally ABSENT from gw2
    Same here actually...

    Even the thing that made me first decide to play GW1 (free map travel) is gone.

  9. #29
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Guided Daggers's Avatar
    Server

    Gandara
    Guild

    Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Posts

    876
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyfiep View Post
    I found one time I was doing one of those heart quests and yes people were CAMPED out on the melons waiting for the bunnies to appear...yeah I got a few points for 'participating' but never turned in a bunny since I wasnt fast enough to grab it before the camped person did!)
    AFAIK, heart quests spawn that kind of stuff per person. I remember doing a quest where I had to release trapped wolves, it spawned for everyone seperately.

    Please use paragraphs aswell. It was quite hard to read what you wrote.

    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam
    Don't make such retarded comparisons between reality and games please.
    No need to get all personal here. Arguments lose credibility when ad hominem statements are made.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Volleyball is a horrible game.

    Look, let's compare GW2 to real life then. In real life, if you run around with a weapon, you'd get arrested. How's that? In real life, if you get hit by a sword right in the head, you're dead. ****ing dead. In GW2 you lose 100 health and keep standing. when you do go down, you get to fight from there... When you're defeated for good, someone can revive you. No defibrillator needed. You literally get another life. Or, you can pay to get teleported to somewhere. You can't teleport in real life.

    Games are very different from reality, and all the differences are there to make games pleasurable to play. There is no reason why grouping in a game should not be improved over reality.
    Of course. There's also absolutely no reason to making grouping in a game worse compared to real life.

    Also. Let's pretend that you are a hero on some important mission. No, not in-game, I mean a real hero. Like you are a U.S Navy SEAL on your way to kill bin Laden. Or something. And you are in a group. Composed of yourself and other SEALs.
    And then some asshat in suspender pants and a propeller cap, like this one comes along and says he wants to join up and kill bin Laden too. Would the SEALs let him join up?
    Of course not, the navy seals are what an explorable mode dungeon would be like. You only take the best because it's so difficult. However the brat with the propeller cap joining in... that's basically what happened in Normandy, during the US civil war and during Napoleon's conquests. These battles were won by zerging, not by sending in a specialized elite squad. So like in GW2, even your war scenario has different levels of skill which you failed to account for.

    No they ****ing would not. While it would make sense in a game.

    Don't make such retarded comparisons between reality and games please.
    It wasn't a retarded comparison, in fact you just totally failed to understand the point.
    Harniq: There's different types of groups, high skilled elite teams and low skilled improvised teams
    Rasp: There are only high skilled elite teams and improvised teams can't join them

    Now who's wrong. You. But you know that, you're arguing for arguments sake as you've shown plenty of times before.

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off