Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
    In Sweden the general view is that country benefits from having an educated workforce. Higher education is free for Swedish citizens.

Perhaps as a consequence of this salaries for academics is not that good though and education is not as respected as in other countries. Funnily enough it's considered desirable but you shouldn't be proud of it and get looked up to because of it.
    Same idea here in Denmark, strange as that may sound. We are the traditional enemy after all.

However the basic premise is that while education is a strain on society the eventual benefit overcomes it by far. Thus, we have free education at all levels and student income programs that allows you to concentrate on your books while studying.

Though, the student wages do assume that you can manage a tight personal budget. I for one could not :) - So most students do what I did, they have jobs on the side. Still, the basic premise is that you _can_ get your education for free.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Do you have to meet some qualifications to get that free education? It would seem everyone would want to go into the fields that paid the most and not necessarily what is needed by society. I would say technical and trade schools should have no tuition.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Yeah, grades would decide if you get in or not. Not exactly supply and demand but meh, you could give students better information on what professions are more needed.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Double post but worth it imo...

Not as impressive as Mexico breaking the world record for group insulting a politician via his mother, but pretty impressive by Quebec standards on a pretty hot day.

== Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 Posts6 months registered1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
    Same idea here in Denmark, strange as that may sound. We are the traditional enemy after all.
    I thought that was Norway? We are more similar in views and values than some issues would suggest.

Access to higher education is determined by your grades or result on a national aptitude test. There's no special funding for focus areas but the most popular educations are in high demand due to limited numbers of positions like physician, lawyers, psychologists etc.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Limited number of lawyers? HAHAHAHAHAAHA! I think we have 1 lawyer for every ambulance here.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Quote Originally Posted by Domethilde Du Lac View Post
    Limited number of lawyers? HAHAHAHAHAAHA! I think we have 1 lawyer for every ambulance here.
    Well, that would be rather pointless here since hospitals are free and people tend to be insured against accidents.

Also, there's no tradition for paying high damages to the injured party in a law suit. Typically if it's a work related accident, there's a set tariff depending on the extent of the injury and in case the accident inquiry finds proof of hazardous working conditions or lack of access to proper protective gear, then the employer may find themselves sued by the state and/or the workers' unions rather than the injured/dead employee('s family).

As a result, there aren't many frivolous law suits and there's no real need for a steady stream of hotshot lawyers...

Achievements:
    10 Posts6 months registered1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It also means that I'm not bound by the insurance policies when I practise medicine. Very sensible if you ask me. I can be prosecuted in a court if I mess up but until I do I'm bound by my work and personal ethics. I can get sued but since the sums are smaller most doctors worry more about loosing their license or getting crappy reputation. In my experiences it's better to curb actual errors and learn how to avoid them rather than settling things in court were a lot of effort is spent on the doctor-patient meeting with all that it entails.

We do get journalists that follows the ambulances though. Does that count?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm trying to come up with a clever board for the next protest.
    == Alaris & clone ==

"This wud be speled rite if I cud aford an ejucashun" ?