Thread: Trojan

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]

Trojan

Lensor asked me to post a message here about a trojan my antivirus is blocking - it happens every time I follow a link in one of the news posts.

(Ref: http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forum...-Wars-2-Weekly)

I have BitDefender Antivirus.

I get a pop-up that says BitDefender has blocked a virus.

Virus Name: Trojan.JS.Downloader.BPB

Accessed by: iexplore.exe

Location: guildwars.incgamers.com/wp-content/themes/test/js/jquery/jquery.js

I hope that is the information that you were looking for, Lensor - I checked, and it was still happening when I went to post this. Sorry it took so long to post this info, I didn't see your reply until today.
    Last edited by Saint Troy; 27-06-2012 at 17:03.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    If I can advise you to use Google Chrome as your web browser you fill find you are a little more secure with JavaScript queries trying to execute commands.

Bit Defender has caught it for you with IE, but Chrome runs a sandbox environment which makes these things harmless to the extreme.

Best of luck both of you with this!

-Art

Achievements:
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]
    Yeah, I figured it was only a matter of time before someone was going to reply with the obligatory use a different browser response. However, using a different browser will not solve the actual problem of there being a trojan there in the first place.

Point of note: I do use other browsers, but I, like some others out there, may either choose to use or be constrained to use Internet Explorer at some points for one reason or another (eg; some workplaces only allow internet explorer to be installed). Using a different browser is not always possible, nor is it a good solution when the issue is a trojan rather than a compatability issue. Far better for the site administrators to be aware of the issue and fix it before it does anything harmful to any of the visitors to the site.

Actually, with further testing, it turns out that chrome might not have issues with this, but it shows up in firefox with bitdefender.

Infected file = guildwars.incgamers.com/wp-content/themes/test/js/jquery/jquery.js

Virustotal scan results of infected file
    https://www.virustotal.com/file/1ea5...is/1340897052/

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Erm...

You're welcome?

We're both from Glasgow, I'm from Ruchill, so I'm all for the harsh overlooking of someone giving you good personal advise and wishing both that person and the site administrator to whom they brought the issue up with good luck so as to not loose face - but yeah, that's just weird.

Thanks for verifying my advise to you and you're welcome in advance for the 'You're welcome' you'll not post.

-Art

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Anyhoo.. Thanks for the report . :)
    Looks like it is a file involved in a test Rushster is doing (some nifty new frontpage stuff) that is setting off the alarm. I'll give him a heads up.
    IGN Bark N Mad. Leader of The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]
    @ Art: yeah, you're right, I was probably more than a bit harsh.

Thanks for bothering to give advice, and thanks for the good luck wishes.

It was rude of me not to acknowledge your good wishes, and respond to that.

Instead I chose to respond to the exasperatingly inevitable suggestion of use a different browser that arises every time someone reveals that they use internet explorer, and for that I apologise.

(Btw, you may think me weird, but I don't give a flying jobby about losing face. The only real problem I had with your suggestion was that it would not fix the actual issue, just hide it. Nice if you just want to stick a poster over the hole in your wall, but no good whatsoever when it comes to actually making your home secure, if you see what I mean? Sorry if my interpretation as such and response to that came over all wrong.)

So, thank you, and sorry

@ Lensor: No worries. I hope Rushter can iron out any issues then

I didn't mean to cause any problems, I was only trying to help. Excuse me while I go off to lurk again.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Don't go back to lurking Saint Troy, we've got a release date now!!!!!!

-Art