PC Gaming News
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Take a look at the Hunger Royale video from another thread. Part 2, about 6 minutes in or so (just a random place I jumped to) you start to see the red border. It gets more pronounced the closer you are to death. Jump ahead to 8 minutes and you can see it progressing a bit.

Most of the time when I was playing, I didn't notice the damage border. Primarily because the damage I'd be taking would drop me to the downed state too quickly. In the Hunger Royale you had a slow life degeneration, so it made the border very obvious -- you'd be at low health for long periods of time (unless you were unlucky like me, and not only couldn't find rations but did find hostile players).

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Take a look at the Hunger Royale video from another thread. Part 2, about 6 minutes in or so (just a random place I jumped to) you start to see the red border. It gets more pronounced the closer you are to death. Jump ahead to 8 minutes and you can see it progressing a bit.

Most of the time when I was playing, I didn't notice the damage border. Primarily because the damage I'd be taking would drop me to the downed state too quickly. In the Hunger Royale you had a slow life degeneration, so it made the border very obvious -- you'd be at low health for long periods of time (unless you were unlucky like me, and not only couldn't find rations but did find hostile players).
    I saw that border several times, but never really noticed it. it did show that I was getting hurt without me looking at my skill bar (enjoying the scenery too much to pay attention to my skill bar too often, I'm afraid )

(and about that Hunger Royale thingie: I never came across foes and died. Didn't even know how I could get healthy again. I once picked up some rations but that didn't do anything... that's when I left)
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post

(and about that Hunger Royale thingie: I never came across foes and died. Didn't even know how I could get healthy again. I once picked up some rations but that didn't do anything... that's when I left)
    I spent a bit of timereading the thing that said 'Read (F)' when you spawned in there, and I still wasn't 100% sure what was happening when I left the spawn point. "Crud, I'm out of AMMO?"

You know, for all the talk about UI not getting in the way, they sure do have a lot of crap you have to *read* to understand something, and they do it in these UI windows that I find, honestly, not so intuitive... Don't know why, but NPC interaction windows I find myself not paying attention to what the NPC is saying, but only my choices. Think it's the background in the NPC dialogue area that makes me kind of ignore it like it's a window title bar or something.

Not sure what would be better - maybe once you click 'Read' you start getting the tooltips again on the UI itself with links to umm... read more info?

I don't consider myself particularly crow or fly-like in my attention span, and I love to read. Not sure why I have such a hard time with it in GW2...

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    I figured out I needed to gather ammo. And food. But whatever I did, I couldn't get food. Even picking up rations didn't work. And ammo I didn't use as I didn't see people...
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

I think the skill in the place of the default heal skill slot was the one you used to eat the rations you picked up. It would cause you to regen health for a period of time while little pink hearts floated out of the general head area of your character.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    I think the skill in the place of the default heal skill slot was the one you used to eat the rations you picked up. It would cause you to regen health for a period of time while little pink hearts floated out of the general head area of your character.
    Yes, I could do that 3 times. And then it was locked and would never unlock, no matter how many rations I picked up...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    UI doesn't show you what skills foes ues.
    Floater texts are UI. Besides, they usually use skills on a pattern anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Ah, neat. That's REALLY subtle, or at least to me since I guess the red border is the same color as the green grass. I barely was able to see it when it first started.

I take it the closeness to death doesn't matter so much as the length of time you're there, so that would further explain why I don't see it. You heal to full almost immediately after you kill a random enemy.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    I take it the closeness to death doesn't matter so much as the length of time you're there, so that would further explain why I don't see it. You heal to full almost immediately after you kill a random enemy.
    I'm not really sure of the details on how it works. Just noticed it a lot for the finale, don't remember seeing it much while playing.

And no matter the color, I thought it was pretty obvious because it obscured your peripheral view. Maybe not so much in the video though (I honestly didn't watch the whole thing, since I'd participated in the event, just knew it'd have the border to show as an example).

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    For the record, my problem is not with the fact that the damage indicator appears; I like that it exists. My problem is that it appears when you're above 50% HP.

That kind of indicator screams "OMG YOU NEED TO HEAL" to me, but that's not what it means in GW2, so it is confusing.