PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansions

Expansions

Since we're being all giddy and hopeful and excited about new things...

What do you think will be added in the expansions? Almost certainly new classes, skills and races, but what new mechanics - if any - do you think will come along? GW1 "expansions" added some major features like PvE skills, new PvP venues and heroes (and 2/3 of those made the cut to GW2.)

Dream big!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    New mechanics tend to break the game, and I think ANet's designed their game with expansions in mind...

I would love to see more weapons, and more professions getting to use more weapons. I like new professions and races, but those mean having to replay a lot of the game and that seems tedious. I'd be very happy being able to play the guardian with longbow and dual sword, or having more options on the engineer...
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    PvE skills and heroes can almost certainly be counted out. Since skills aren't learned via skill trainers and other NPCs, that makes PvE skills kinda hard to implement. What's the point of heroes when it's open world and there were always be someone to help you. I wouldn't actually say that classes are a certainty to be added, at least not in every expansion. I only see new classes being added as long as there isn't much, if any, overlap with other classes.Weapons would be a source of new skills, as well as new healing/utility/elite skills. Races also seem like a very likely candidate to get added. We have tengu at the very least for a new race. Maybe later down the line, Mursaat? PvP maps would be likely, as well as new areas in PvE, eventually leading to new continents (or revisited continents...Cantha and Elona).As far as original things, I can't really think of anything new that could potentially be added, but perhaps maybe new guild/alliance features (this is assuming alliance support gets added between releases and not with expansions). We know guild halls will be something added post-release, so new guild halls could come with expansions.
    Last edited by bearsfwd; 03-07-2012 at 21:46.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    PvE skills and heroes can almost certainly be counted out. Since skills aren't learned via skill trainers and other NPCs, that makes PvE skills kinda hard to implement. What's the point of heroes when it's open world and there were always be someone to help you. I wouldn't actually say that classes are a certainty to be added, at least not in every expansion.
    Hey goofball, PvE skills are already in GW2. Heroes were in, but were cut.

It's already been stated classes will get new skills with the expansions, so I would be surprised if new PvE skills weren't added.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I haven't done any PvP, so I wasn't aware that there were skills that were in PvE but not PvP. Please do tell.

And I know heroes were in and cut and one point. But that's just it, they were cut, and they were cut for a good reason, so I doubt they'd get added again later.

I never argued that classes wouldn't get new skills...surely they would, especially if they planned on added new weapons. And they even stated at the time of the skill change to make them tiered, that it would enable them to freely and easily add new skills into the game.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I think we're going to get Cantha first, then Elona, just like in GW 1. Hopefully they've made GW 2 lasting so that we get to see beyond (Utopia, anyone??).

I think new weapons is a great idea. Can we get some flails??

Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    I haven't done any PvP, so I wasn't aware that there were skills that were in PvE but not PvP. Please do tell.

And I know heroes were in and cut and one point. But that's just it, they were cut, and they were cut for a good reason, so I doubt they'd get added again later..

Racial skills are PvE only.

I'm almost positive they would never re-add heroes to GW2. Well, maybe in like 8 years when the population is waning, sort of like they did with 7 hero parties in GW1.

Server

Yak's Bend
    Guild

W A Space
    I HIGHLY doubt they will add new classes anytime soon. New classes are a big reason GW1 broke. I could see new weapons and races being added, and possibly new levels. I think we may actually see Elona before we see Cantha. The reason being is that if you're down in Orr, that leads you right to Elona. We have more info about whats going on in Elona, but no info on Cantha, it just feels like they are leading us to Elona. They also may just add new zones in Tyria, because there is still a lot of Charr lands, Northern Shivers and Magguma Wastes that we will not have access to. I also think they will avoid new mechanics...that is another reason GW1 broke.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    RI'm almost positive they would never re-add heroes to GW2. Well, maybe in like 8 years when the population is waning, sort of like they did with 7 hero parties in GW1.
    I'm not sure I see the need for heroes in GW 2: If scaling works as it is supposed to, content will be soloable when the population has waned.

Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I'm not sure I see the need for heroes in GW 2: If scaling works as it is supposed to, content will be soloable when the population has waned.
    There are some things that definitely aren't doable by yourself (at least until someone comes up with the next 55 build) like dungeons and some event chains.

I'm not saying I want heroes. And who knows what the game will look like 8 years from now. Nothing like it does now.