GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Wolf View Post
    if they weren't good enough now, will they ever be?
    Maybe they were good enough, but they decided to keep some of the good stuff for expansions ;)

Like the chronomancer. Do want those armors, and I am curious to know what they are about.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

That full map thread got me chubby for the chronomancer world... class and location. I'd prefer that even over Cantha.

Maybe GW2 goes The Sims popular on us and we get like 5 expansions!

For the love of god, I really hope they keep the level cap at 80 for all times. Raising the level cap is the worst thing you can do in an expansion since it basically means you throw away the entire old game and force a new game down the throat. The evermore raising levelcap is the prime reason I have no attachment to any of my characters anymore, basically killing the game.

They could add a secondary level track like so many other games do, unlocking secondary mechanics, but do not ever raise the original level cap.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Agreed on the level cap. I also hope they don't make the base game obsolete like they did with Prophecies by adding new features.

Would definitely love to see more of Utopia (whatever wasn't used in EotN) and would really like to learn more about the two classes there.

I think that adding new classes can (and should) work. I think it's important to the MMO genre to get new classes at least once in a while.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    Agreed on the level cap. I also hope they don't make the base game obsolete like they did with Prophecies by adding new features.
    A higher level cap isn't as much a problem as it is in a lot of MMO's. And the base game won't become obsolete as fast due to the same solution: scaling back. Right now, it's not fun to go back to Prophecies because there is 0 challenge. At least Factions and NF have larger areas where you can still actually have some challenge after reaching max level. And how cares if your new level can now reach 90 instead of 80? You're not underpowered if you're not lvl90 in that lvl80 area (because you didn't get that expansion), nor are you less overpowered in that lvl1 area if you're "only" lvl80 rather than 90.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Yeah, Utopia. I really want to run around in the Hub of Time. Like, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    A higher level cap isn't as much a problem as it is in a lot of MMO's. And the base game won't become obsolete as fast due to the same solution: scaling back. Right now, it's not fun to go back to Prophecies because there is 0 challenge. At least Factions and NF have larger areas where you can still actually have some challenge after reaching max level. And how cares if your new level can now reach 90 instead of 80? You're not underpowered if you're not lvl90 in that lvl80 area (because you didn't get that expansion), nor are you less overpowered in that lvl1 area if you're "only" lvl80 rather than 90.
    Some truth in that, yet also some things I have to disagree with. GW2 will develop end game, there is no way to avoid that. Vanilla WoW had very nice end game, even/especially if you didn't look at raids. I once wrote an epics for casuals guide featuring on the front page, and while writing it from a warlock perspective, I eventually found tons of cool items for all classes to get without ever stepping foot into a dungeon. In later expansions I missed that. GW1 had the same in the form of obbi armor, which remained the prime armor for over 7 years. Compare that to the tier 0 set in WoW which was once the pinnacle of gear achievement... made redundant primarily due to increased level cap.

So yes, GW2 will develop it's own form of endgame, although it is yet to see in which form. Whatever it will be, don't throw it away for the sake of expansions, just add more variety in end game instead, which GW1 did brilliantly with Lux/Kurz sets and rare weapon skins. In comparison a BDS is way more valuable than any WoW item ever was, except maybe the pristine hide items.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The thing is, they told us WHY they settled on the 8 classes they did.

Jonathan: We had a lot of classes that came into the rotation but we felt they were stepping on the toes of something else, or were fighting for an archetype slot. Those classes tended to fall into the background. We feel the classes we now have clearly represent the eight different archetypes, as we’ve said, but also eight very different ways to play. That was the important thing; making sure the archetypes feel good, unique and that they give the players what they want, but also feel individual from a game play point of view.
    http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/06/ex...onathan-sharp/

Basically, the other 4 they had (or more if they decided against some and brought new ones in the mix) weren't individual enough. That leads me to believe that if they add any new classes, they are going to make sure there is very little toe-stepping as possible between classes, allowing them all to keep their individuality.

A caster engineer (ritualist) simply won't cut it. They have to REALLY make the two feel different from one another. So if they were to give a ritualist turret spirits like GW, then the rest of the class has to be TOTALLY different from the engineer, while also avoiding the rest of the caster classes.

To us, it may be simple to slap in a few more classes. Which, it may be easy to stick them in. The hard part comes in balancing the game with the new classes. So, I'll take no new classes, or very few new ones if it means the game stays balanced.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by harniq View Post
    So yes, GW2 will develop it's own form of endgame, although it is yet to see in which form. Whatever it will be, don't throw it away for the sake of expansions, just add more variety in end game instead, which GW1 did brilliantly with Lux/Kurz sets and rare weapon skins.
    Due to the level scaling, nothing is thrown away, no matter how much your level has been raised. And whatever you add, the older content will always see less use as people want to see, feel, taste, etc, the new stuff.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    Due to the level scaling, nothing is thrown away, no matter how much your level has been raised. And whatever you add, the older content will always see less use as people want to see, feel, taste, etc, the new stuff.
    Not entirely true. Say in GW1 the level cap was raised to 21, with an increase of caster armor to 61. For this armor there would be craftable items in the realm of melandru at armor level 61. No one would ever do FoW/UW making the entire existing endgame irrelevant, even though it's possible with downscaling.

So while you try to focus on the fun part, the big problem is actually the relevance. For end game areas that's end game rewards. When the reward becomes irrelevant, the endgame content become irrelevant. Unfortunately, that's how it works. This can be avoided completely by not doing stupid stuff like raising level caps.