PC Gaming News
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i have a 2TB ext. HDD so if i wanted to i could store my entire pc data, i just need to calculate how much i need for 8GB (2X 4GB) and to see if i can change win 7 enough for my convenience.
    already found a mod to change the start menu to the XP one, i just need to find one for the desktop properties and i can safely change my OS.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline.Net Member
    To sorude:

If your intent is to switch from xp to win7 as an "upgrade", I discourage you from doing that. From what I read, it's not really too optimal solution.

To the finnish guy who is building a computer;

If you're using an old 500W psu, you must take into account that the capacitors age and the power supplied by it lowers. So in theory, 500W might run the system (I'm not sure, haven't calculated to be honest), a 5 years old 500W might not run the system.

But here is a very handy tool and approximately tells you what you need in terms of power supply. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

And building (or overhauling) your computer isn't too hard. Here's a few tips;

Ensure you have a constant access to internet. I once ran into a problem while trying to install Windows 7 from USB. Actually, few problems, thanks to my strange BIOS. The trick was to switch USB to a different slot during a certain process in the setup. Imagine trying to come up with that by yourself? No. Use internet, search a solution for your problem and save a lot of headache.

Have access to two different ways at least to install your OS (windows). You might run into a motherboard which has a bios that doesn't allow you to install windows from USB. There a DVD install comes handy.

Infact, install a new operating system if you weren't planning to.

While fixing up the parts together, you should ground yourself. Most likely, nothing is going to happen to your computer. But, if you're out of luck... You might lose a component due to a static discharge that you won't even notice. Look in to google about grounding, there are different solutions. I use a wristband and a specific wire, but you probably won't have that. There are "home made" solutions out there.

Always, ALWAYS, remember to add thermal heating paste into your brand new CPU (usually provided) AND the cooler fan with the heating sink. Else, it will blow up in couple of seconds when you power it up. I'm not kidding here, it's an easy way to lose your CPU.

Remember to place your ram sticks in most efficient way (dual channel). If you do not know what this is, google more about that.

With 560 Ti, you'll see that the card has 2x 75W inputs. At least one of them has to be supplied with power, but you gain more performance with both of them being supplied with power. (Your PSU, by the way, might not have even one. Then you will need a new PSU or adapter. )

Also, if your motherboard has only one PCI-E X16 slot but 2 PCI-E slots, the upper one usually has the 16x bandwidth. The other one usually has only 4x and bottlenecks your card.

A good case also never hurts, especially if worried about cooling solutions.

10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    It's almost like sorudo talking to himself...

Not upgrading rig, but my mouse decided that scrolling is not a feature it want to deliver any longer. So I'm looking for a new mouse with less attitude. Thinking about one with the numerous buttons on the side. Any recommendations or warnings?

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I reeeeeally like my Logitech G500, only a few buttons though. I've heard a lot of good things about the G600 which is buttonpalooza.

Razer Naga is another that gets talked about a looooot.

Here, have a random Reddit thread! http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...commendations/
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registered1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

MVOP
    About to "upgrade" my rig so to speak. And by "upgrade" I mean "replace" and by "my rig" I mean "laptop that has been dead for months now". Only problem I have is trying to figure out if I want to just buy a new computer or build my own despite no prior experience.

I got about $1200 to bust on it either way, just trying to figure out what will get me the most bang per buck.

Ooh, great thread. Looks like I'll need to take my small hand and stubby fingers and go to BestBuy and feel the mice to see what will work.

Thanks!

10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    for $1200 you should get a pretty powerful rig, just know what you take.
    you don't need the most expensive processor to run powerful games as long as you stay on 3GHz and above, concentrate more on mainboard power, GPU power and ram GB.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Server

Sea of Sorrow's
    im wondering what ill need to upgrade in order to make WvWvW fights that are larger less laggy at higher graphic settings. if anyone can help me that would be great :)

CPU TYPE:
    Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU SPEED:
    3.62 GHz

SYSTEM MEMORY:
    4 GB

VIDEO CARD MODEL:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 v2

VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
    2.7 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Raww View Post
    im wondering what ill need to upgrade in order to make WvWvW fights that are larger less laggy at higher graphic settings. if anyone can help me that would be great :)

CPU TYPE:
    Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU SPEED:
    3.62 GHz

SYSTEM MEMORY:
    4 GB

VIDEO CARD MODEL:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 v2

VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
    2.7 GB
    Double your RAM, if possible.
    That's the only bottleneck I see, though the processor overclock seems pretty hefty. That may have affected your BWE experience, from what they've said.