PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I may only carry over one character name from GW, and that's Thea Cybele. Female human elemenalist FTW! For the other races, I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'd like to try to keep the names in a similar style as the other characters of those races.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Everybody will have "Gorani" in it again as a family name. I will try to get a typical race convention name as the first name.
    I have not decided yet on the first names yet.

When you have several alts, it is important to keep track of people you play with. Everybody keep on calling me Gorani, whereever I am, in GW1 or GW2, which whatever character I play, is something I am aiming for.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    I was thinking of using either my Lady (for my girls) or Unben (for my boys). But that would look silly on all races but the humans. I will re-use Lady Rhonwyn, but my other names will only be partly used.
    My Norn name will be somewhat simular to the one I used during the betas, Charr I can't remember (I've written it down at home), my Asuran will be an Asuranized version of one of my girls, and my Silvary will get one of my Celtic names (got enough of those!)

So no recurring theme this time (for now!)
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    ...and my Sylvari will get one of my Celtic names (got enough of those!)
    Argldiwiggily ?
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    When you have several alts, it is important to keep track of people you play with. Everybody keep on calling me Gorani, whereever I am, in GW1 or GW2, which whatever character I play, is something I am aiming for.
    I'm an altoholic, have far too many characters. Almost all with the surname Blackthorn, and no one ever calls me Blackthorn. Which is fine, it'd feel like a weird form of address to me.

But with friends lists showing the names of alts (and the name of the character you put on the list -- that'll still be in GW2, right?), it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    I'm an altoholic, have far too many characters. Almost all with the surname Blackthorn, and no one ever calls me Blackthorn. Which is fine, it'd feel like a weird form of address to me.

But with friends lists showing the names of alts (and the name of the character you put on the list -- that'll still be in GW2, right?), it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.
    Only when you are listed as glitterpony.1234 and not Nkuvu.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Came up with a breakthrough one letter Sylvari name that sorta really fits with my conventions kinda maybe almost-but-who-cares-because-I-like-it…

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    I never use any pattern whatsoever. All my character names are just... Names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye Lestrange View Post
    It would be kind of cool if you named them after different types of jam

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

Indeed, it would be very cool… Different types of berries. Begs for a Sylvari. Not as cool as my one word name is going to be, but still…

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Almost all of my characters have the same Blackthorn surname. It worked fairly well for Prophecies characters. For Factions and Nightfall characters it didn't really fit, but by the time those came around I'd already made it a habit.

Two characters in GW2 will be Blackthorn, my necromancer and warrior or guardian (not sure which I'll prefer), both direct descendants of my existing characters. Any other race is totally up in the air at this point, and I have no idea.

...yeah. I've been playing on a roleplaying server on WoW for the last two years (almost three now, sheesh). So thinking about character origins has taken up a fair bit of my time. I've been doing the same in GW recently.

Edit: Err. Found this thread via New Posts, I don't normally post in guild forums that are not my own. Hi.

It's all good - I debated posting this in GW2 Discussion, but decided 2 things: 1) my guildies were who I definitely wanted to hear from 2) most people who would give useful responses probably read New Posts or, like me, subscribe to the RSS and would get in here this way if it were an interesting enough topic of discussion for them. The more the merrier!

In effect, I cheated a bit. Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    <snip> I had to shorten his last name, don't remember what I made it, though.

I often have this problem…

Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    I may only carry over one character name from GW, and that's Thea Cybele. Female human elemenalist FTW! For the other races, I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'd like to try to keep the names in a similar style as the other characters of those races.
    Welcome to my pain… LOL. I think I'm only keeping one full-on character name, as well. At first I thought I'd just carry on the convention, but then I thought better of it and will keep a name or two. I mean, how many people named George do you think are in a family tree over the course of 250 years, especially when one of them has a list of achievements from each known continent and was almost a god? I'd imagine LOTS of kids are going to be named George.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    <snip> Charr I can't remember (I've written it down at home), my Asuran will be an Asuranized version of one of my girls, and my Silvary will get one of my Celtic names (got enough of those!)

So no recurring theme this time (for now!)

Just realized I can't remember a single Charr's name in-game except Rytlock Brimstone and Pyre Fierceshot and that's due to years of seeing them. And what is an Asuranized version? Blizzt? Bleena? I'm thinking of naming any Asura I create "Sheesh" and having done with it…'

Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    Only when you are listed as glitterpony.1234 and not Nkuvu.
    Touché, sir. Touché!
    Last edited by thulsey; 18-07-2012 at 06:05. Reason: Make sense more…

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by thulsey View Post
    Came up with a breakthrough one letter Sylvari name
    Which letter is best for a sylvari? Hmm. Wait, is it x? No.. maybe p. As in plant. That would work.

this was typed on a phone! technology! woo!
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Which letter is best for a sylvari? Hmm. Wait, is it x? No.. maybe p. As in plant. That would work.

this was typed on a phone! technology! woo!
    Ha ha, whoops.

One word Sylvari name, that is…

'V' for Vendetta…

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by thulsey View Post
    Just realized I can't remember a single Charr's name in-game except Rytlock Brimstone and Pyre Fierceshot and that's due to years of seeing them. And what is an Asuranized version? Blizzt? Bleena? I'm thinking of naming any Asura I create "Sheesh" and having done with it…'
    Bonfaaz Burntfur. Blaze Bloodbane. Jaw Smokeskin. Red Eye the Unholy. Ghast Ashpyre. (I've been spending a lot of time in pre-Searing recently, but Bonfaaz is the one I remember from the Great Northern Wall mission) Just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

If you want a list, you can check the wiki for examples: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:Charr_bosses

I have zero love for the Charr, particularly after getting slaughtered repeatedly on my perma-pre-characters. But I think I could make up a name for one if I was going to play them. Choose a random first name, then two nouns stuck together for the surname. Preferably something to do with fire followed by a physical feature. Bob Toastywhiskers. Frank Smokenose. Suzie Sparkyfang. Jane Smoldertail. Et cetera.

As far as being listed... my name thingum-ma-whatchis that I chose was Nkuvu (surprise!). Given the rarity of other people using this, I don't think I'll run into too many people named Nkuvu.1234 or Nkuvu.2345. (now watch, just to spite me tons of people will register this)