PC Gaming News

Laptop vs Desktop

Hey guys,

Now that there have been 3 beta events, I am hoping that people have gathered enough impressons to help me out. Basically, I am in need of a new computer, mainly for GW2, D3, TL2 and whatever enticing ARPGs come out in the next few years; and work (some Photoshop and other non-intensive tasks). I am debating between:

Laptop
    i7-3610 QM
    GTX 660M
    8GB RAM
    15.6 inch 1080p screen

and

Desktop
    i3-2120
    Radeon HD 7850
    8 GB RAM
    24 inch 1080p monitor

Price is about the same. I know mostly desktops > laptops but I would be able to lie down in bed/couch/chair on the patio/etc with the laptop and also take it with me on vacations (which is not very often but still) whereas the desktop will be stuck. I guess my question is is that desktop going to be noticeably better than the laptop so it's worth it to sacrifice mobility.

Thanks!

Achievements:
    10 Posts1 year registered1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

Veritas Invictus
    1080p on a 15.6 inch screen seems really small for the Laptop. As for the desktop, I think the graphics card is too good for the processor, or the processor too weak for the card, whichever way you wanna see it :D

I'm looking at a similar laptop for GW2 right now, it just has a 7670M as a graphics card instead of your 660M. Could you tell me how much yours would cost? The Toshiba Satellite I found was ~650€.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Curious as to why i7 for laptop yet big drop down to the i3 for the desktop?

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Yeah, that struck me as an odd decision too. Particularly since a desktop offers much greater flexibility of components.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    I think it must be a typo, since he said the desktop will be noticeably better than the laptop.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]