PC Gaming News
Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 568
  1. #51
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    shadowhand's Avatar
    Server

    Aurora Glade
    Guild

    GWO
    Posts

    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    It's against the EULA to pay for a run with real-life money and you could get banned for doing so. Paying with in-game money is ok, same as buying boosts with in-game money would be.
    That's taken completely out of context as you well know. I wasn't even talking about paying for anything, merely saying that if people want to cheapen their experience rather than learn from playing the game, they'll find a way. Like paying for runs with in game currency (or begging for free runs or whatever.)

    The fact that the new method involves paying for in-game "shortcuts" with cash is irrelevant because it's through an in-game store.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
    That's taken completely out of context as you well know. I wasn't even talking about paying for anything, merely saying that if people want to cheapen their experience rather than learn from playing the game, they'll find a way. Like paying for runs with in game currency (or begging for free runs or whatever.)

    The fact that the new method involves paying for in-game "shortcuts" with cash is irrelevant because it's through an in-game store.
    It's not irrelevant at all; getting a runner means cooperation between players, while buying a boost in the in-game store means that you are paying real-world money for success in the game.

    IMO they should sell direct-to-level-80 thingies. I'd pay for that.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    And it doesn't really matter. In PvE you're forced to buy boosts since not buying them would mean you progress slower than you normally would. Not buying boosts in PvP would mean that you win less than you normally would. It's the same thing, if you consider "win" in PvE to be progress at as high a pace as possible.
    But in PvE it's not a competition, if nobody loses, do you care if others win more because they pay?

  4. #54
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    sorudo's Avatar
    Server

    far shiverpeak
    Guild

    the legendary alterans
    Posts

    9,553
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Not my fault people were throwing out horribly wrong analogies. "Think gray for ones, geez."
    yes shawn, we know you are all about black and white thinking, it's the problem we all have to endure from you.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

    sorudo.9054

  5. #55
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    shadowhand's Avatar
    Server

    Aurora Glade
    Guild

    GWO
    Posts

    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    It's not irrelevant at all; getting a runner means cooperation between players, while buying a boost in the in-game store means that you are paying real-world money for success in the game.

    IMO they should sell direct-to-level-80 thingies. I'd pay for that.
    It is irrelevant because you're using a strawman by suggesting that runners and their customers barter in real world currency and thus you're evading the actual point of the discussion, namely that taking a "shortcut" by using xp potions really isn't much different than being run through the early parts of the game to "save time".

  6. #56
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    bearsfwd's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringsgold View Post
    But in PvE it's not a competition, if nobody loses, do you care if others win more because they pay?
    Because apparently it IS a competition to some people, regardless of how many times these same people say it's not. If it's not a competition, it shouldn't matter how people get to their goal, as long as it's legal (in this case, buying boosts with real money is legal). But, here we have people crying about how unfair the boosts are because people will get to their goal of level 80 faster. But these same people surely won't ever buy a single boost. So, I really have no clue as to why they are wasting their time whining about something so trivial that won't even affect them.

    If people are going to complain about ruining their GW2 experience by using boosts, let them. We have the ability to ignore them or call them out on their idiocy. Unless of course you just love feeding the trolls.

    I'm STILL waiting to see what the anti-boost people think about the PvP skill unlocks for GW. It's the same principal. You can pay money to get stuff sooner than you normally would. If someone bought GW tomorrow, they'd could have all the skills available to them the same day by spending some money. Just like the boosts for GW2, just because they are getting something sooner doesn't mean they can actually play the game.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringsgold View Post
    But in PvE it's not a competition, if nobody loses, do you care if others win more because they pay?
    No, I don't. I care that it feels as if I don't pay, I'm not playing as well as I could. Which is the same reason why pay2win in PvP would be bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
    It is irrelevant because you're using a strawman by suggesting that runners and their customers barter in real world currency and thus you're evading the actual point of the discussion, namely that taking a "shortcut" by using xp potions really isn't much different than being run through the early parts of the game to "save time".
    But taking shortcuts isn't the point. Paying real world money is. I would be perfectly ok with these boost items dropping from mobs or being sold between players for in-game money.

    And no, buying gems for in-game gold doesn't alleviate the problem. It just moves it somewhere else.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    I'm STILL waiting to see what the anti-boost people think about the PvP skill unlocks for GW. It's the same principal. You can pay money to get stuff sooner than you normally would. If someone bought GW tomorrow, they'd could have all the skills available to them the same day by spending some money. Just like the boosts for GW2, just because they are getting something sooner doesn't mean they can actually play the game.
    I think it's a retardedly stupid idea. On the other hand, if I bought GW1 today I'd be thankful for it since it means I could skip the grind.

    As I said before, I would definitely buy a "direct to level 80" kit.
    Last edited by raspberry jam; 24-07-2012 at 15:12.

  8. #58
    double post

  9. #59
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    shadowhand's Avatar
    Server

    Aurora Glade
    Guild

    GWO
    Posts

    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    But taking shortcuts isn't the point. Paying real world money is. I would be perfectly ok with these boost items dropping from mobs or being sold between players for in-game money.
    No, that's what you think the argument was about. It was not. As it stands, you can buy the gems for xp potions with in-game gold and you are also awarded those potions as level and exploration rewards and/or from mystic chests (and before you start, you can also get keys for those as rewards for exploration, from boss drops etc.)

  10. #60
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    shawn's Avatar
    Server

    Jade Quarry
    Guild

    Dii/BPA
    Posts

    10,591
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    yes shawn, we know you are all about black and white thinking, it's the problem we all have to endure from you.
    That's because there is a black and white on this issue. Just like there's a black and white on which skills are viable or not in gw1. Not everyone is able to gaze over the information and form correct opinions. The discussion at the time, which you quoted, was about the gw2 cash shop having purchasable items which would give you power, and a direct advantage over someone who did not spend money. The unequivocally correct answer to this is: no, there are not items which give you power advantages over other people.

    If you think there are, please point them out, so we can tell you how you're wrong.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off