PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post BWE3 changes, improvements, and observations

I've been able to play in all three BWEs and am overall very happy with the progress that has been made. My list of complaints from BWE1 was originally about 25 or so items long but has shrunk until virtually gone. Now after BWE3, there are only a few things I could see that might help if they added or changed.

First, the dye system should be updated to show not only the dyes which you DO have, but the dyes you don't. Kind of like the Ranger's pet menagerie shows which pets you have and which ones you don't. This could help us collection freaks know at a glance what we don't have.

Second, it would be nice to have an option in the character creation screens to turn off hairstyles while customizing facial details. I realize you can get this effect by selecting no hair or selecting your hairstyle after, but it is possible to forget to turn it back on. I just feel like if you can have an option to hide your armor while making choices, you could hide the hair as well with a toggle button.

Third, I would still like to see some of the prices in the store drop. Since one would have to purchase bag slots for each toon, I feel they should be a lot cheaper. Or if they are going to be as expensive as they are, they should be account upgrades. I did like the costume stuff in the store. The glasses all looked really cool. And I noticed there was no option for purchasing additional character slots. Would this be because they have not settled on a price per slot?

As far as bugs go, I only found one area where I had to map travel out of because I got stuck in terrain I couldn't escape trying to jump to a vista.

What I'm looking for with this thread are other's ideas/observations about what you would like to see changed or improved prior to release.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

Memento Vivere, Mystic Spiral
    Enable Preview for the things in the Trading Post

Get rid of that blasted Invulnerability on monsters when you're a foot above ground.
    Here I'm trying to utilize my tactical advantage of going range on the high ground and they decide to go god mode on me!
    I wish I became Invulnerable whenever I couldn't fight back.

Spoiler

Here's my list of things that need improvement:

1: Camera accelleration - really annoying if you move your camera around a lot (like this)
    2: Camera FoV Allowing bigger zoom distance helped a little, but I don't like tunnelvision :(
    3: Skill unlocking Just takes too long, for both weapon skills and skill points.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed. There aren't many ways to play your character, and the combat isn't fun or interesting enough to make up for that. Those two things are the main reasons for me to like games (LoL has lots of interesting gameplay styles with the amount of champions and depth of each one, Age of Conan has really good combat, so it stays fun even if it doesn't change much)

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    There was an option in the graphical settings to increase the speed of the mouse-camera thingydoo. I tried and set it way too high up, and it was over-sensitive. There was also a camera position setting that was not yet working. I don't know if either of these would be of use/help with the FoV and acceleration.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Quote Originally Posted by Karuro View Post
    Get rid of that blasted Invulnerability on monsters when you're a foot above ground.
    Here I'm trying to utilize my tactical advantage of going range on the high ground and they decide to go god mode on me!
    I wish I became Invulnerable whenever I couldn't fight back.
    So much this; the invulnerability thing is absurdly broken, to the point where they turn invulnerable half the time they're kiting. If they're kiting, and I catch them, they should be punished, not made invincible. And if I can shoot an enemy to death across a gap where he can't follow me, that's his tough luck. The invulnerability gods should not be intervening on his poor, respawning, schmuck butt just because he can't learn to jump, and I shouldn't have to whack an invulnerable enemy for a minute and a half until he arbitrarily turns vulnerable again.

Caveat: if they have an interrupt-able skill that turns them invulnerable, well and good - just signal that skill with something so I can interrupt it.

I took advantage of the camera acceleration slider and found it a great improvement.

Party grouping still needs a button for joining your party members on overflow server. If we guildies want to go tromping around the countryside it is a big wait for everyone or someone gets left behind. :(

Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    There was an option in the graphical settings to increase the speed of the mouse-camera thingydoo. I tried and set it way too high up, and it was over-sensitive. There was also a camera position setting that was not yet working. I don't know if either of these would be of use/help with the FoV and acceleration.
    There was a slider for sensitivity yes, but not for accelleration :(

The problem is that when you move the camera quickly, it doesn't move as fast as you move your mouse. First it accellerates to the same speed, and when you stop moving your mouse the camera keeps moving for a bit before it stops.

also see this thread: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...sh-List/page/1
    Last edited by Ringsgold; 23-07-2012 at 18:43.

Fix the "Break Stuff" bug where if you break something, mostly when in melee range, you get stuck in the remains for no good reason.

Rebuff Ranger. As long as Pets are the walking piles of dung they are now, there is no good reason to lower their damage "because they have pets and high damage + pet damage makes them broken". Screw that, then add a Petless option where skills deal "normal" damage instead of lowering it for everyone. Don't force pets on Rangers first and then use them as an excuse to nerf a class. It's the Pets that are broken, and not in the good way. Buff Longbow to at least be in the same league as Ranged Warrior or hell, even Engineer. Slightly increase Shortbow as well. Melee was fine during BWE2 but considerably weaker during BWE3.

Revert enemy AI back to BWE2. Yes, that means they're dumber and tank in AoE but then "Ignite Arrows Tennis" is not an option either. The bouncing and moving away from any AoE skill makes a lot of them a lot less useful. For example, on an Ele, it takes forever to get all Fire Trident skills because the default attack is both AoE and times. Earth and Air Trident on the other hand is easy because the packets make them think they're taking DoTAoE damage so melees keep running away from you.

Probably got some more issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jack View Post
    Fix the "Break Stuff" bug where if you break something, mostly when in melee range, you get stuck in the remains for no good reason.
    I can't believe they didn't fix that yet. I filed a bug report every time it happened just to hammer the point home.

The melee/ranged thing is still a little weird. The first BWE every got ****ing clobbered in melee to the point melee sort of didn't exist. But now melee is just as easy as ranged, but does WAAAAY more damage. So I spent the whole weekend playing my mesmer as a warrior with dual swords. There has got to be a happy balance somewhere. They're close, and if it stays this way I'm still ok with it because ranged is always a nice change of pace or just a safe option for dangerous stuff.

Overall that was about it for me, I'm pretty satisfied and can't wait to see more of the game.

Edit: I also love the new Vistas. Love. The cinematics are a little anti-climactic, but getting there is so fun.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    I like how they added paypal to the gemstore. It's one of my major problems with the GW1 in-game store. Unless they changed it, you couldn't pay with Paypal and I had to go to the website.

I also loved the addition of the bank tabs in the crafting windows. You can finally make use of those crafting stations in the remote villages (without having to pay for it).

The "send all crafting items" option is also a great addition.

Small detail: during the previous BWE (BWE2), I wondered how many bagslots I could still buy from the gemstore. This BWE, I noticed they had added a locked icon to those bagslots which must be bought.

Negative point: In order to start your gathering, you'll need at least 24 coppers for a tool (72 for all three). Yet, even with selling my drops, after that first quest, I didn't even have that. A solution would be to give 25 copper as reward for the first quest so you can at least get started with gathering.

I didn't really do a lot this beta (only had part of the Sunday, and I didn't feel like trying to get far, knowing my character would be deleted so soon anyway). I just want to game to go live so I can enjoy it all on my own pace (which is generally slow!)
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)