GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma View Post
    Still trying to prove there is such a thing as a stupid question I have to ask, how important is it to make gold?
    Depends.

In GW1, you didn't need much gold at all to get max gear. Just picking up stuff and selling it was plenty, if you were careful not to get every skill but just those needed.

But then people wanted elite armors (which are purely cosmetic) and they wanted to fill up titles such as drunkard which cost money. The HoM was also costly. So if you go for those kinds of things, then it becomes more important.

Fair to assume the same will hold true in GW2.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

You had me at drunkard.

I'll have to reread/watch this thread and come up with my gold domination plan. Ok probably less domination and more stay out of debt plan, but you get the idea. Since I'm someone who likes to slowly toddle through the whole map perhaps just selling raw materials in the beginning would be best for me.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Generally:

Pick up everything, and salvage/sell it. Protip: figure out what sells higher salvaged vs not salvaged.

Learn to trade in the AH, mucho profit if you do it well, especially early.

Wait until later to buy stuff. Early is the time to make money. Prices will drop over time.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I won't buy gems with cash, but if I can get gems for gold now and resell later for profit, I am not against that.
    Dunno, might spend a couple of € to get extra char slots/bank/inventory space. Mostly because I don't know what professions to cut at the start yet, and more inventory space + possible birthday stuff could bring some cash back. It'll depend a lot on the money/gem ratio though, I expect prices to be similar to GW1, so that's pretty fair.
    Though I do wish they didn't have such a ridiculous $/€ ratio for online purchases.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, I'm not against paying cash for char slots. Especially that I want to reserve names...

Inventory etc, I'll see, but generally I am pretty good at managing inventory. I just sell whatever I don't need, realizing that I'll get better gear just by playing onwards anyway.

Remember folks, more space = more junk accumulated.

I have a pretty good "live with what you have" lifestyle that works the same in games. So money is generally not an issue, but if I can make a lot of money then I won't have to worry about it later when I want to fill up titles.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Remember folks, more space = more junk accumulated.
    More junk may also equate to more money. Junk to one person may be somewhat valuable to someone else. If we had direct player to player trading, this would hold especially true. But if you are going to mail the item to someone you know will send you their part of the deal, then it still works.

Obviously, there will always be things that are junk no matter what. But, when it comes to weapons and armor, junk to you may not. Be junk to someone else. Something that comes to mind from GW were the items that were split over professions. For example, a staff with a fire magic requirement, but had bonuses for, say, protection prayers. Someone somewhere surely was running an E/Mo with fire magic and protection prayers as their attributes (aside from energy storage).

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsfwd View Post
    Junk to one person may be somewhat valuable to someone else.
    My rule of thumb:

If it doesn't sell in the AH, then it's not worth my time finding someone via forums for selling it. Excluding extra-rare items, of course, which I never get anyway.

I consider fighting or powertrading to be more worthwhile ways to spend my time.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Still trying to prove there is such a thing as a stupid question I have to ask, how important is it to make gold?
    In regular play, you just want to have enough cash to buy those training books around when you reach the level requirements (e.g. have 10 silver at level 10), and a handful of spare change for waypoint travel. Following Alaris's advice should suffice in keeping up with the monetary needs.
    ----------------------------satomz----------------------------
    -------------Fan Arts of all Types & Guild & Alliance Matchup & GW1-------------

Generally:

Pick up everything, and salvage/sell it. Protip: figure out what sells higher salvaged vs not salvaged.

Learn to trade in the AH, mucho profit if you do it well, especially early.

Wait until later to buy stuff. Early is the time to make money. Prices will drop over time.
    Thanks! I'm naturally an in-game hoarder. So selling off items will be hard for me, but I think it will definitely be worth it in the end. Especially since I'm not going to try crafting right off the bat. Got too many other things to do/learn.

Quote Originally Posted by satomz View Post
    In regular play, you just want to have enough cash to buy those training books around when you reach the level requirements (e.g. have 10 silver at level 10), and a handful of spare change for waypoint travel. Following Alaris's advice should suffice in keeping up with the monetary needs.
    There were training books? I've got to look around more.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    There were training books? I've got to look around more.
    It's the book that you buy from your profession trainer to unlock the traits. First time you use it is at level 10 when you actually start earning those points.
    ----------------------------satomz----------------------------
    -------------Fan Arts of all Types & Guild & Alliance Matchup & GW1-------------