PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registered1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

MVOP
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Afaik, Spore was just a game minding its own business until some religious douche attacked it for promoting evolution.

In fact, if religious people would just accept science and live & let live, a lot of people would be a lot friendlier to religions.
    Agreed, I like what my Anthropology teacher said about Science and Religion. Science tells us how, while Religion tells us why.
    If a house falls down from termite damage and kills someone, science will be able to tell us how the termites caused all the damage, and the formulas involved in how the person died, as well as what injuries caused the death and what were postmortem or non-lethal. It, however, can't tell us why it happened to that house, or why it happened to that person. Religion can tell us why that house fell and killed the person, perhaps they were cursed by a witch, or greatly angered an ancestor, who summoned the termites to destroy the offending house and person. It however, can't tell us how it happened.

The two would work well together so easily, if only people stopped trying to encroach one into the other.

You know, if my house fell and killed someone close to me, and someone else told me it was probably because he/she was cursed by a witch... I would probably punch that person in the face for saying something so utterly ludicrous. And for the record, I'm not a violent guy at all. But some stupid stuff deserves some sense knocked into it. And then I would probably tell them that the influence of one of their angry ancestors caused me to lash out like that. Makes perfect sense, right?

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registered1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

MVOP
    Heh, well to be fair the idea of "witches and angered spirits" is relegated to less mainstream religions. That example was borrowed from a movie we watched in class dealing with some African tribes. I was just using it as a reference for the differences between "how" and "why".

But I'd have to disagree about it being ludicrous or stupid. Its a difference of cultures and beliefs. The system they believe in works for them, where they are living. The idea of it being "stupid" is thus purely subjective, because we aren't them. We don't live in their environment, or have grown up under their teachings.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by cursedseishi View Post
    Religion can tell us why that house fell and killed the person, perhaps they were cursed by a witch, or greatly angered an ancestor, who summoned the termites to destroy the offending house and person.
    Not quite.

Science has a better chance of telling us why that house was attacked by termites. Was there lots of termites around? Was the house not properly protected by termintes? Etc.

People need to realize that the answers given by religion are pretty much made up. If there is a God, it's clear that he has not provided us with solid answers we can use.

There are good things religions can do, but providing answers isn't one of them.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Not quite.

Science has a better chance of telling us why that house was attacked by termites. Was there lots of termites around? Was the house not properly protected by termintes? Etc.

People need to realize that the answers given by religion are pretty much made up. If there is a God, it's clear that he has not provided us with solid answers we can use.

There are good things religions can do, but providing answers isn't one of them.
    Maybe we ask the wrong questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyHarmon View Post
    Maybe we ask the right questions, but he's only able to answer questions we're not interested in.
    I don't think it is unreasonable to expect from the creator of all life a basic understanding of how to reply to simple questions, considering all the powers and wisdom that tend to be attributed to him.

When a house suddenly collapses, asking why it happened is exactly the right question. There is no reason to turn such a simple question into some sort of deep insight regarding the meaning of life. There is probably a pretty good reason why its structural integriety failed.

Hang on... was that my answer? Can I go back and revise it? Alright, thanks. Ignore what I just said, here is my real reply to that:

Ahem... *scrapes throat*

"Maybe the stars aren't right"
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 28-07-2012 at 21:46.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyHarmon View Post
    I can't think of a single question that religion can answer that science can't answer better.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    what's difficult about the question "why did the man die?", a scientist has the answer faster then it takes you to get to a church, chances are that the scientist knows better.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

What I will never understand, is why some people consider an answer based on speculation and assumption, more likely than an answer based on facts.

Why are people not interested in the facts? Is investigation and looking for real answers something that scares people? And why all the distrust of science. Look around you folks, this is the year 2012! We could be driving flying cars by now! Everything we do on a daily basis is thanks to science. Why doesn't science earn any sort of credit for that with some people?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Why doesn't science earn any sort of credit for that with some people?
    1) Misinformation and politics. Science needs better PR.
    2) Religion promises an afterlife, whereas science remains mute about that topic.
    3) Religion wins flat out when science says "I don't know". People don't handle uncertainly and the unknown, they prefer arrogance and made-up answers.
    == Alaris & clone ==