Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by cursedseishi View Post
    Yes, science can tell us why those termites were attracted to that house, yet again you are ignoring the fact that this isn't your house, or darn near any house built within the US. And again, the mentioned tribe doesn't have the access to all the necessary amenities to bring about a scientific reason for what occurs. Let's say there is a plant they burn to bless a house against evil. While we can take the plant and take it apart to find out exactly why its smoke wards off termites, they can't. Instead they know if they burn it, nothing bad happens to the house and it doesn't fall.
    This to me is one of those "if a tree falls and no one hears it, does it make a sound?" questions. We still have the reasoning to explain WHY the house fell down. Obviously, a tribe in the middle of the wilderness will have their own belief system. But just because they believe something, doesn't make that belief automatically right. On the other hand, just because we have the science to prove WHY it happened, we don't have the right to just go and try to replace their beliefs, unless they specifically came to us and asked us WHY it happened, or why their method worked.

I'm all for letting people believe what they want to believe, but when they choose to ignore facts, that's where I start to have a problem with religion as a whole. But, of course, this is only when it comes to those cultures that are technologically advanced. I'm not worried about what some people out in the middle of the wilderness believe because they aren't hurting anyone with their beliefs, nor are they forcing them on anyone.

However, I will conclude this by saying I'm not athiest, I consider myself agnostic. I'm willing to accept that there may be some things in religion that may be true, I just want proof. That and I don't want some random guy behind a podium telling me his interpretation of the bible (which, may be completely off the beaten path).

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Agreed, bearsfwd.

Also, even if there's a God, it's not clear which (if any) parts of the bible talk about God. For all we know, God is the natural world, and science is its worship.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Hmmm...in the book Contact, Carl Sagan mentions (and I could have quoted quite incorrectly, but the gist of it remains) at some point that true spirituality is the search for meaning, which can be applied in varying degrees to both science and religion.
    mv

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    We need to remember that the many well-known and respected scientists throughout history have been very religious people. In fact, some used science to study the creation of God.

Science and religion really don't have to conflict.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    We need to remember that the many well-known and respected scientists throughout history have been very religious people. In fact, some used science to study the creation of God.

Science and religion really don't have to conflict.
    No, they don't have to conflict. However, I would note that--in this forum, for example--there frequently is conflict, usually resulting in religion being under attack.
    mv

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I've been way more atheist lately...

When I see a baby with cancer or a little kid missing a leg, I findit really hard to believe in a god. And if there were one that allowed stuff like that or all the tragedies in the word, I'm not sure I would even worship that god.

Tapatalk'd
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    But they already created a perfect world, the problem is that humans kept rejecting it. Only the later incarnations of the matrix had a higher acceptance rate, after they added violence and suffering. And the machines are becoming increasingly efficient at stomping out the anomalies.

But the sequels sucked anyway, so whatever.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Its all a bit guilt-trip anyway. First you tell people they are guilty of original sin, and then you hand them the solution.

Thats like puncturing someone's tire first, and then telling them you can fix tires (and you don't even have a bike). I've never bought into it.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    Also, if any one who believe in god is reading this thread, they are doing it specifically to start a fight.
    I'm not even sure how to respond to that.
    Last edited by Zalis; 30-07-2012 at 14:59.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    No, they don't have to conflict. However, I would note that--in this forum, for example--there frequently is conflict, usually resulting in religion being under attack.
    I've argued on both sides ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    I'm not even sure how to respond to that.
    Yeah.

Does it mean that atheists reading threads on religion are doing it to start a fight?
    == Alaris & clone ==