PC Gaming News
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I've maintained that the word "nerd" has been thrown about wrongly for a while now. Somehow it became cool to be a nerd. By definition:

nerd/nərd/
    Noun:
    1. A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance".
    2. An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession.

It has next to nothing to do with video games. Just so happens that nerds, generally speaking, enjoy video games. But it's not a two-way relationship, not all gamers are nerds. Felicia Day happens to be a nerd [you can't be a mathematician and not be a nerd], and a gamer and famous though.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Yi Mor View Post
    Well....

If we must go down the attractive female geek chic route with definitions and interpretations as currency then I'd like to bring attention to Joanne Colan
    Never heard of her before this, but I like her.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Never heard of her before this, but I like her.
    She's very good indeed. She's no longer with Rocketboom but she put in quite a few years there. Well worth catching up on now historical contemporary news.

-Art

Quote Originally Posted by Raye Lestrange View Post
    you can't be a mathematician and not be a nerd
    I'd say that that is incorrect... that something is 99% true doesn't mean that the 1% doesn't exist.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye Lestrange View Post
    I've maintained that the word "nerd" has been thrown about wrongly for a while now. Somehow it became cool to be a nerd. By definition:

nerd/nərd/
    Noun:
    1. A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance".
    2. An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession.

It has next to nothing to do with video games. Just so happens that nerds, generally speaking, enjoy video games. But it's not a two-way relationship, not all gamers are nerds. Felicia Day happens to be a nerd [you can't be a mathematician and not be a nerd], and a gamer and famous though.
    By your definition, she's not a nerd. She's not a single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession. She is also a major in something with the violin...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    there is something called a game nerd.......someone who always wants to know everything about a game, this can go as far as speaking a language or reading the text.
    guild wars has plenty of them, there are some who can write in ascalonian.....
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054