PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points6 months registered

so what determins a professions difficulty

in a pvp sense,cuz i plan on pvping alot

it seems like from what ive heard recently it more or less varys depending on your weapon set up and it seemed less on what profession you were going

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I would say that pretty much sums it up, yeah hehe

It is going to depend a lot upon you and your play style. Some people find ranged easier, though. Honestly, you're just going to have to mess around with professions to see what you like.

If you have pre-purchased, there is a stress test tomorrow, which may give you an opportunity to check out some of the professions!

I don't think it's going to be like GW1 at all, where certain professions were the backbone of the team. Obviously monks and often warriors and necros were just fluff (not me).

In GW2 it seems to be more like "where you are" and the profession is less important, like Player A goes to hold Cap A.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    so what determins a professions difficulty
    You mean playing or you mean beating that profession?

A big difference to GW1 is the fact that pretty no skill gets cancelled when you move, unlike GW1 were that happened a lot. A good GW1 PvP player used a skill, did kite & used the next skill. You will notice a PvP noob like me by not moving a lot´in GW2.

The battle awareness is more difficult, as you can't "watch red bars" of team mates, but you have to actually see what they are doing to react. Noticing a foe prepare for a big hit skill and interrupting it by a push skill or hitting dodge is more demanding than seeing the casting time animation in GW1 and hit your interrupt skill.
    Mastering the profession mechanic will be another thing: Warriors need to learn when to activate their burst skill, Eles how to switch attunements effectively, Thiefs how to manage initiative etc.

Since damage, support and control a well distributed along all professions and everybody can heal and revive, the profession is less important in PvP than in GW1. it is how well you play it to be successful I guess.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It seems that certain professions are better at given roles, but every profession is needed. If you are serious at PvP, you should probably learn well a few professions so you can adapt to your team's needs.

PvP seems to need mobility, staying power, and to a lesser degree the ability to 1vs1. Not that I am a pro, just what I remember from videos.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points6 months registered

You mean playing or you mean beating that profession?
    playing that profession

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I think in terms of playing, some professions are easier than others (whether more efficient is a different story).

-Ranged is easier to understand and play than melee. Melee though is higher risk higher rewards.
    -Thief & mesmer are probably harder to master due to needing to dodge more and create more diversions.
    -Hybrids tend to be more difficult to play well than specialized roles.
    -Engineers and elementalist have more skills to manage, so expect a steeper learning curve at first.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Server

Sea of Sorrow's
    according to AN they are saying that thieves and necros are going to be the harder classes to play due to the learning curve that youll have to get around. pretty much what makes a class harder to play than another is how abilities are used and mastering when to use them in the right situation. some classes are easier to learn in terms of a new player picking it up and trying to play. some classes take way more effort and attention when learning how to time abilities and how to counter whatever class you are up against or how to handle a group scenario. learning how to play the class defensively or offensively also plays a role in how hard the class is to play. also learning how to adapt to a situation as it changes plays a role as well. you need to know what your class is capable of doing in a constant changing situation or a 1v1. some classes have it easier than others.
    Last edited by Raww; 09-08-2012 at 20:18.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    I played all professions for roughly 15 mins each. That isn't long enough to form solid opinions. But here are a few things I noticed:

Engineer turrets are easy to use and very powerful. This class will play like tower defence. The difficulty will be that it is a support class. Don't expect to charge into the front line and win. But anyone that's careful should have no problem with this class. But keep in mind that this class suffers from a lack of "standard" weapon choices. Instead, they have weapon packs that gives Engineers new weapons to play with.

Mesmers generates illusion on auto attack. But they appear randomly (by chance). The difficulty will be timing when to use (blow up) your illusions)

Guardian seems to hit slower but much harder than the warrior. So maybe a skilled player in PvP can dodge its attacks easier. Of course I only got to level 2 so can't tell yet. The difficulty will be a balance between damage and party support.

Warrior attack much faster than a Guardian, but each hit deals less damage. That said, their play style are obviously much more aggressive than Guardians. I guess the difficulty will be not get crippled or blinded.

For necromancer I selected the wrath option during creation. And I could actually turn into a wrath that launches dark energy balls at foes. :D I didn't spend too much time with her because I will surely made a necromancer when the game comes. Like all mage classes the difficulty will be surviving.

Ranger looks like a fun class to play with all those pets. Looks like a well rounded class with no obvious strength or weaknesses.

Thief will be glass cannon. I got mine to level 2 but I can tell already. :P That said I am interested in making one in the real game.

Never got a chance to try elementalist. But listening to opinions from a lot of people it seems to be the most powerful of the mage classes.

So from my very limited experience with the game, I will rank the classes as the following, from easiest to hardest for a new player:

Ranger>Guardian>Engineer>Elementalist>Necromancer> Warrior>Mesmer>Thief

But do keep in mind that the higher the difficulty, the greater the reward.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 10-08-2012 at 01:38.

There is no way to say right now which profession will be more difficult than another. We can make some guesses, like that thief seems to be tricky and that engineer seems to be as easy as it gets, but we can't know for sure until the end of the year, when we've played for a couple of months, people get past the initial learning area and into territory that not even the devs know anything about yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raww View Post
    according to AN they are saying that thieves and necros are going to be the harder classes to play due to the learning curve that youll have to get around
    When GW1 was new, ANet suggested, completely seriously, that PvP warriors bring Mending for self heal.