PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I think that's pretty standard these days: I believe EQ packages all previous expansions with their latest expansions.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, in Blizzard's case, only the races are included (and their starting areas). Which means you still need to pay for the expansions to get access to higher level content or the new classes (monk & death knight).
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I'd just say that blizzard is likely just afraid of gw2's likely success. They're just trying to make folks linger in WoW for a bit longer.

Delaying the inevitable imho

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I remember Blizzard congratulating SWTOR for a well-made game around the time it launched. I think they knew it would tank, and so their praise in retrospect might have been sarcasm, and a way to re-affirm their position.

I don't hear them praising GW2.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Daggers View Post
    So, Blizzard. What's up with all the free stuff lately?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/17/wo...r-all-players/
    Not a bad marketing move for Blizzard if you ask me. They had already bundled Burning Crusade in with the vanilla game, but if you wanted to play as a goblin or worgen you'd have to have Cataclysm. And to get that, you'd also need to have Wrath of the Lich King (whether or not you were interested in playing a Death Knight).

So someone who doesn't have the game says "hey I want to play as a goblin because they're awesome!" Not only would they be correct as that's the best race in WoW, they'd have to buy the game and two expansions plus the monthly fee. That's a pretty cost prohibitive barrier to entry. Contrast this with someone who either didn't care about race, or wanted to play a stinky human. All they'd need to buy would be the base game, plus monthly fee, and they could go pretty far just with that.

I can easily see a lot of people wanting to pick up the game for the first time just to play a panda. But the cost for that... base game, three expansions and the monthly fee... oof. I can see a lot of people holding off on that decision.

You still have exclusive things like professions and areas and level cap, so there's still reason to buy the expansions. Win all around for Blizzard, provided that people are interested in the game in the first place.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Meanwhile, death knight still requires you to by up to WotLK, *and* level *something else* to 55.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I remember Blizzard congratulating SWTOR for a well-made game around the time it launched. I think they knew it would tank, and so their praise in retrospect might have been sarcasm, and a way to re-affirm their position.

I don't hear them praising GW2.
    Hahaha

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I don't think that's a huge detriment.

If someone walks into the game and wants to play a death knight, they will be a little disappointed because they have to level to 55 first. But given the way the death knights start the game, I think it'd be a very large rewrite to try to bring them back to starter areas.

I don't know if you ever did play a death knight (and I suspect that many others here haven't) so I'll just mention that they start at level 55. They have a special instanced area where they go through a number of quests, until they're level 57 or 58, and then they go back to the capital city of their faction. Starting a death knight at level 1 wouldn't make sense for the lore (these are fighters chosen by the Lich King to be champions in his own army) and they'd have to re-work a large number of skills, and... not much benefit for the time and cost involved.

Locking the professions per expansion still makes some sense for Blizzard, obviously they want people to buy the expansions.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I got bored before I ever hit level 55, so yeah, no death knight for me. I understand why they did that, but I still find it meh.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i just don't get why they limit free players to lvl 20, they can just as much make limits within the max level cap.
    besides, they have more money per month then any game company has per year, it really doesn't hurt to much to make it like a proper freemium game.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054