PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm still wrestling with creating a 'brand' and naming all my characters according to it, or just going for whatever silly name suits my fancy.

There are just too many awesome names to choose from.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    why not take a three word name, like <name> bel <name>.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

One of the reasons I want single names is due to races and the other is when the npcs talk to you it looks weird that they always use the full name...

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I prefer to have double name, with Alaris in it. But I figured that having my own trademark single name makes sense too.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    I'm still wrestling with creating a 'brand' and naming all my characters according to it, or just going for whatever silly name suits my fancy.

There are just too many awesome names to choose from.
    Unlike GW1, I won't take a "brand". In GW1, my girls are all "Lady" and my boys "Unben". In GW2, they'll all be named differently as neither of those two "brands" would fit for all races.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Names! I'm crazy about character names!!! I spent a couple of weeks pondering before I came up with a name for my first mesmer in GW1(yes, I have two mesmers and two rangers). And I remade my second monk twice before I got her name right (my first monk was used as a mule, partly because I wasn't too happy with his name and looks, until I deleted him to make a ritualist).

So, enough nostalgia.. My plan is to reuse five character names from GW1, all in the form "Jersey Lastname" for male and "Jersiel Lastname" for female characters. "Jersey" has been my online handle for I don't know how long, while "Jersiel" is a "feminized" variation roughly translating to "Daughter of Jersey" in Sindarin, Tolkien's Grey Elvish language. "Lastname" is a Sindarin name in some way fitting the profession of the character.

I'll slap those five reserved names on two humans, two norn and one sylvari. I'll use the old names of my ranger, mesmer, elementalist and necromancer, and will give my monk's name to a guardian. Since I've used those names for humans in GW1 they should be allright for humans in GW2 as well. And a name in this style should fit my sylvari well enough since Sindarin was intended by Tolkien to be welsh- or celtic-sounding.

For the norn ladies it was a pretty tough decision. Being a Norwegian myself I could easily come up with good norn names, as actual Norse names (viking-era "Norwegian") is what the norn use. Many of those first names are still in common use in this corner of the world. But then it's the issue of being recognized across characters.. After much pondering my mind is 99% set on using old GW1 names, meaning there's still a chance I'll change my mind Anyway, I'll try to explain (to myself at least) their not-so-very-norn-sounding names by their ancestors having had some connection with the human "Jersey-family" a few generations back. After all, It's no big secret that Jersey Cuthalion somehow was involved with Olrun Olafdottir, though the details are still unknown

I'll also buy three more character slots so I can play all professions. Those will be filled with one more human, one asura and one charr. That will allow me to cover all five races and to experience all three different initial human storylines. All of these characters will get a brand new name. Yes, I'm on pondering names again

I've come up with a new name for my human thief in the same style, one that I liked better than my old assassin's name. That name is not reserved, as I first thought about it a week ago. But the nice thing about my naming convention is that I've never experienced that my desired name was already taken. Well, except for when I tried calling a character just "Jersey" during one of the last stress tests..

For my asura I think I'll go for a one-word name following asuran tradition. I've got a list of possible names, both male and female. Gender will be decided by which name I can grab. Though I'm a bit curious if I will enjoy playing a character whose name has no connection to my other characters. That was my reason for the first remake of my old monk. Oh well, if I can't settle with the name after some playing I'll have to remake I guess. Been there, done that.

So now I only need to find a good name for a female charr engineer. "Jersiel" should work as a first name, but I'm undecided about last name. Should it be English or Sindarin? If only I could find a fitting Sindarin name that also means something in English... Duh, that'll be a tough nut to crack!! If you have an oppinion on this I'd love to hear it

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    So now I only need to find a good name for a female charr engineer. "Jersiel" should work as a first name, but I'm undecided about last name. Should it be English or Sindarin? If only I could find a fitting Sindarin name that also means something in English... Duh, that'll be a tough nut to crack!! If you have an oppinion on this I'd love to hear it
    Toastywhiskers. Jersiel Toastywhiskers.

Perfect! Yes?

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    No concerns anyone will snag any of the slightly rubbish names I plan to use. Have abandoned my GW1 habit of using names based on Pixies lyrics, famous Formula 1 corners, favourite Diablo 2 bad guys, and names that included a common surname that I didn't actually like. This led to a bunch of names that were mostly stupid and I'm glad to see the back of them.

All GW2 names will have a common element that will identify all my characters as my own. For better or worse, I'll make it clear to anyone on my server who bothers to pay attention, that all my characters belong to that one guy they love/are indifferent to/hate, and they can act accordingly.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    I'm planning on using names like...

Edges 2 Poly
    Extender Plus
    Spin Quads
    Subdivide
    Magic Bevel