GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    He said he needed to grind his a$$ off, which to be fair, is an over-statement. And for a tormented weapon no less.

After all this time, most of us have finished Factions both sides with multiple characters in normal and hard mode too, vanquishing included. But him, he can't stand the amount of grind required to *unlock* the area.

Sorudo has a history of exaggerating grind. That's why it's starting to sound like whining.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuhmii Shanbwa View Post
    wow, thats "guru" bad, someone saying "i dont like that part" and you go "dont whine, just stfu and play or quit"
    I'm not seeing this attitude anywhere. Are we reading the same threads?

i dont like faction farms either, am i a whiner now? he just said that he dont have the required faction, nothing more or less and he doesnt like to farm it
    And... compare what might be needed to the normal way you'd get a Tormented weapon. Then you might understand why people think that the complaints are a little unwarranted.

anyway, its a nice gift of anet, but would be a bit nicer if we could at least choose, i mean, they are customized already

ps. i'm NOT complaining, just saying it'd be nicer
    I do agree with this part, however. I spent a large chunk of time doing these quests. I did actually enjoy revisiting the areas, in part because I have been out of the game for years and so this was all a nice trip down nostalgia lane. In the end I got a large tuning fork, and even though I don't really have any room to complain, it wasn't the weapon I was hoping for. It was honestly a little disappointing.

Given that the weapons are customized, I don't see the harm in adding a collector for the Reverie Gift, similar to the collector for the Armbraces of Truth.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Yay easy to get Tormented weapon! Give me something to do still GW2 releases. Thanks Anet!

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Reverie_Gift

Opening the gift drops a Tormented weapon into the character's inventory; the type of weapon depends firstly on which profession is opening the gift, and then which Tormented weapons have not been dedicated to that account's Hall of Monuments already.[1] If all Tormented weapons have been dedicated to an account's Hall of Monuments already, you will still receive a tormented weapon customized to your character.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 20-08-2012 at 06:04.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Given that the weapons are customized, I don't see the harm in adding a collector for the Reverie Gift, similar to the collector for the Armbraces of Truth.
    I would guess it would be devaluing (even more) the work that people put in to getting Tormented Weapons prior to this.

As for getting 10k luxon points, it might be faster to vanquish a small luxon area like Mount Qinkai. If you have multiple characters, another option is to do a few of the fast/easy quests on a few of them to get to 10k. Don't forget that Luxon points work account wide.

It's hard to let "grind my *** off" go without comment. It was pretty nice of Anet to provide not only a nice remembrance of GW1 (thus promoting the original game which you specifically asked for, sorudo) and to make getting one of the hardest to get HOM weapons so easy to obtain. Complaining about this from a long time player seems like pretty bad form to me.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    It's hard to let "grind my *** off" go without comment. It was pretty nice of Anet to provide not only a nice remembrance of GW1 (thus promoting the original game which you specifically asked for, sorudo) and to make getting one of the hardest to get HOM weapons so easy to obtain. Complaining about this from a long time player seems like pretty bad form to me.
    I think next update they should implement an NPC who drops uncustomized bone dragon staffs when you talk to her. Unlimited, for all your characters. And you shouldn't even have to do any work at all, just click the NPC as much as you want and have her **** out BDS left and right while a text box above her head says "thanks for playing gw!"
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    I would guess it would be devaluing (even more) the work that people put in to getting Tormented Weapons prior to this.
    Do you think that's still an issue?

I looked at the easy Tormented weapons as a pretty significant devaluing process. I thought about it when I first heard about Tormented weapons as the reward from Reverie Gifts, and realized that the game has been out for many years. Paraphrasing what ArenaNet said about the festival hats, any enjoyment that people had about the exclusive Tormented weapons has long since passed. They've had their fun, and they had plenty of time to show off their nifty weapons (whether that came from running of DoA or simply wealth).

At this point I think the weapons could be devalued to the point of choosing your weapon, and you really wouldn't make much of an impact to the people who got their Tormented weapons the old fashioned way.

I should point out that I have no issue at all with the way the quests are currently set up. And I certainly don't want to make it sound like I'm complaining, because I'm very happy that ArenaNet took the time to do this for their playerbase. Just one little thing that I might tweak if I had executive control. (I also realize that they most likely have considered the "choose a weapon" approach and went with random for their own reasons)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Completed the quests and dragged my second account along. Few notes:
    - Leaving another player at the map entrance is enough to get quest progress
    - My other char had completed Prophecies, but no access to the Crystal Desert. Using the teleporter in Elona didn't work as a shortcut, had to unlock it from Prophecies

I got a tormented sword for my warrior with a sword-build, not sure if that was just lucky or the random factor is not all that random, either way I'm very happy. Haven't decided yet which character gets the tormented weapon on my main account, already have the HoM point and the frequently played chars have a tormented, destroyer or oppressor weapon already

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Do you think that's still an issue?

I looked at the easy Tormented weapons as a pretty significant devaluing process. I thought about it when I first heard about Tormented weapons as the reward from Reverie Gifts, and realized that the game has been out for many years. Paraphrasing what ArenaNet said about the festival hats, any enjoyment that people had about the exclusive Tormented weapons has long since passed. They've had their fun, and they had plenty of time to show off their nifty weapons (whether that came from running of DoA or simply wealth).

At this point I think the weapons could be devalued to the point of choosing your weapon, and you really wouldn't make much of an impact to the people who got their Tormented weapons the old fashioned way.
    Personally I think of the reverie gifts as a free HoM point rather than the actual ingame item. Someone going for the 30/50 HoM will likely not include a tormented weapon into the agenda simply because its time and/or money investment makes it unappealing. The reverie gifts can therefore still address a large crowd even this close to GW2 launch.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    I think next update they should implement an NPC who drops uncustomized bone dragon staffs when you talk to her.
    Wait... what? I have to click a NPC? But I want to move near a heart-icon on the map and have things auto-added into my inventory, everything else is grind...

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by satenia View Post
    Completed the quests and dragged my second account along. Few notes:
    - Leaving another player at the map entrance is enough to get quest progress
    - My other char had completed Prophecies, but no access to the Crystal Desert. Using the teleporter in Elona didn't work as a shortcut, had to unlock it from Prophecies
    Been there, done that... I had to switch to multiple characters to get it all done on my third account. The one that had Elona unlocked hadn't reached the desert. So, I had to grab another character. And neither of those two characters had Cantha unlocked, so I had to grab yet another character (who then promptly forgot to take the quest, so Cantha will have to be done again...)

Quote Originally Posted by satenia View Post
    Personally I think of the reverie gifts as a free HoM point rather than the actual ingame item. Someone going for the 30/50 HoM will likely not include a tormented weapon into the agenda simply because its time and/or money investment makes it unappealing. The reverie gifts can therefore still address a large crowd even this close to GW2 launch.
    Yes, that's how I see it as well. When I was working for my 30/50, I completely ignored the tormented weapon as that simply was out of my reach. I preferred to spend my money on z-keys as the return for that was a lot higher (3 points in the HoM, golds and consumable items)
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

The Order Of Dii
    And I just bought my tormented weapon about 2 weeks ago....

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    Still waiting for sorudo to reply on all of this.

So, anyone willing to run all but the Nightfall quest for 70plat? :)